Crappie fly

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
f.blair

Default Crappie fly

What is the best fly for catching Crappie?

Fred

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:25 PM
hermit

I've caught 'em using a Grey Ghost.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Ken Fortenberry

f.blair wrote:

What is the best fly for catching Crappie?

1/32 oz. bucktail jig.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
B J Conner

If your still in Clear Lake a white or yellow weighted streamer. Fish it
4-5 deep in the daytime. As it gets darker they will rise to the surface.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
RLPPT

More important than fly selection or color IMO is the retrieve if you are
fishing a wet fly. It needs to be painfully slow to an order of magnitude. Flip
a small white wooly bugger out and let it sink for 15 or 20 seconds. Then
start lifting the rod at the rate of about an inch a second, if that fast.
Then wait for the faint "tunk" and haul him in.

I use this technique to outfish my old man, the best bait crappie fisherman in
the western hemisphere.

S-L-O-W
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
Big Dale

Fred wrote:What is the best fly for catching Crappie?

Try one of Charlie Cypert's Mylar Minnow's. You will find tying instructions
on WWW.Eflytyer.com.

Big Dale
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:54 AM
Sully

The best crappie bait in the entire world, yes I say world, is a white
bucktail jig with pink lead head. Smaller is better.
Sully

Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Jonathan Cook

"f.blair" wrote in message news:z4%kc.11723$kh4.739236@attbi_s52...

What is the best fly for catching Crappie?

I don't know, but I got lots of crappy flies :-)

Back in Ohio, crappie were the "elusive" fish that I
always wanted to take some time to target, but never did.
I always thought they were beautiful fish, and was
pleasantly surprised every time one of us brought one
in. TV shows that would show them catching these _huge_
2lb'rs ought of southern reservoirs were enough to
make me want to start talkin' with a drawl :-)

I once caught a _very_ nice crappie (for OH at least),
well over a pound, while bass fishing in LaDue Reservoir,
and the only other one I've seen about that big was one
that we netted in the Chagrin River. As kids when we would
go to the river we usually brought along a cast net or
a two-handled seine, and once when the river was _very_
high and muddy, we ran the seine up through the submerged
willows and when we brought it up, there's this huge crappie
flopping in the middle. I don't think I had ever even seen
a crappie in there before that, or after come to think
of it. But there it was.

Jon.