Home Made lures/ Fun for the kids

Old April 7th, 2004, 09:42 PM
alwayfishking

Default Home Made lures/ Fun for the kids

I saw a post on here a while back asking for information on homemade lures.
Peeking my curiosity, thought it would be a neat little project to get some
lure bodies and paint a few by hand. figured it to be a great little project
for the kids as well. My children each added some color to a minnow and my
littlest one tried wiping some off with a papertowel and smeared it all
together, creating the "Okeechobee Ugly" who knows, Talk about giving the
bass something new to look at!!! It just might work, Look out SC
participants

I now have some 3 and 3/4 inch minnows and some 3 inch poppers in a variety
of colors, Time to field test.

Went to my small lake and tied on a frog colored popper and head to the
back shallows where the lilly pads usually sprout up, sure enough within 4
or 5 casts my first handpainted lure was slurpped up by a Lm, nothing to
brag about as it was probably only 13 inches, but was fun knowing I painted
the lure and put the hardware on it. Two more casts produce another small
lm, Now I'm just grinning from ear to ear, I change colors on the lure,
switching to a little black and white with yellow spots popper,10 casts
later nothing, back to the frog color, wham another small LM within the
first three casts.

Threw the minnow out that swam about 10 inches under the surface, I
painted this minnow gold with black top to mimic one of my favorite yozuri
lures, wound up catching a nice 20 inch pickerel. That was fun. The best
part is that they will run me about 1.00-1.25 for each one. I'm sure that
with a little additional expense for some tack eyes or some treble hooks
other than the eagle claws that I put on, you could have some real nice
lures for under 2.00 a piece. Trying to get a deal on some wood ones as
opposed to the plastic ones I got. I would be interested in making some of
those jumbo topwater plugs like a heddon 13 or zara spooks. If I can get my
camera to function properly I'll post some pictures to A.B.P.F, Again these
are not high quality lures so don't laugh too hard, but they sure were fun
making and the kids had a blast, my wife thought it was a little weird
having the lures hanging from fishing line under the deck while they were
drying( by the way I found a use for the spiderwire after all), so if you do
or don't have any artistic ability, try it, this was really really fun. You
can find lure bodies on line or on e-bay for a reasonable price. If anyone
else has made any crankbaits or poppers, I would love to see them.

Randy-

Old April 7th, 2004, 11:51 PM
John Kerr

Randy, my kid makes many of his own lures, he has the whole set up...air
brushs, etc. He has been offered some pretty good bucks for some of his
hand made lures, but never sells any...he figures that's his "edge", and
wants to keep it grin. He does help design some of Strike Pro's
lures...one of his sponsors. I have made a few myself, and I agree with
you...what a thrill when a bass goes for one of your own! That is also
really neat that you get the kids to participate...what fun!!!!
JK

Old April 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
John Kerr

Another thing to try, is buying some "salt" water lures and modifying
them for bass....the sal****er spook for example, a little repainting,
and you might get a big surprise . My kids probably gonna get on my
case for "sharing" this .

Old April 8th, 2004, 02:24 AM
alwayfishking

Hmm, never thought of that, I have a whole bunch of sal****er lures that I
don't use anymore, When I lived in NJ I was sal****er fishing all the time,
blues and stripers mostly, some of those old plugs might just trick a bass
or two on Okee

Old April 8th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Henry Hefner

They look great, Randy. I think I saw some bodies for sale last time I
was in Barlow's Tackle. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Baitgal

I've been messing with polymer clay for making lures and it's not too
expensive plus fun for kids also.
Here's some jig head ideas http://www.doctorbee.com/Fishing/fishideas.htm
and http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/fishinglures.html for some others
and one main site with free plans http://www.polymerlures.com/

The first one I made was a frog of blue back and green belly.....then off
the legs I put red embroidery thread to look like trailing blood.
What was cool was I put a small piece of foam in it's belly with a small
hole to let water in and air out and when I retrieve it, it lets out tiny
air bubbles.
Haven't tried it out yet tho.

Old April 8th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Jim Laumann

Randy

Check Stamina (http://www.staminainc.com/) - they have lure sets
where you attach the snap rings and trebles - like 10-12 lures for
$20.

They also have lure bodys - paint them up any way you want - and gobs
of components.

Nice looking lures you did.

Jim

Old April 8th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Baitgal

Your'e welcome
You might want to crinkle some foil or paper in the center to give it some
hollowness (correct word?) and bouyancy.
One could probably ad a rattle to the center also.
A small balloon blown up a little to mold onto might work.
Just dont leave the balloon in while cooking....lol!
One could proabaly also make catfish bait holders with that clay also?
I think the skys the limit working with this medium.
And no...I'm not taking a picture of my froggy bait I made...maybe of some
others later

s.edu...