fish tracking bait????

Old July 21st, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ken Blevins

Default fish tracking bait????

Hello group--I went to the lake yesterday and the bite was really
slow.Didn't catch any keepers and had about a dozen fish follow my bait
right to the boat and then turn away.I tried twitching the bait ,start and
stopping and a speed retrieve. Nothing would coax them into biting.I tried
different size bait and changed colors but not much.What approach would you
have used.One other thing. When you fished open water the bass wouldn't
follow the bait .Only from cover
Thanks in advance
Ken Blevins

Old July 21st, 2005, 07:32 PM
Bob La Londe

"Ken Blevins" wrote in message
Hello group--I went to the lake yesterday and the bite was really
slow.Didn't catch any keepers and had about a dozen fish follow my bait
right to the boat and then turn away.I tried twitching the bait ,start and
stopping and a speed retrieve. Nothing would coax them into biting.I tried
different size bait and changed colors but not much.What approach would
you have used.One other thing. When you fished open water the bass
wouldn't follow the bait .Only from cover
Thanks in advance
Ken Blevins

I had that happen last year. I changed crank baits about every three casts,
and only ran crank baits I could really burn through the water super fast.
I managed to catch one or two fish in an area with each bait before having
to change. I have heard swimming a jig out from cover can work in these
circumstances too. Actually throwing it to the cover and immediatley using
the rod to sweep it very fast away from the cover. I have actually used a
jig as a follow up to a spinner bait in circumstances like that. When the
fish dived away I threw a 3/4 oz white jig with no trialer into the closest
spot I could figure that they would have stopped or holed up. It fell fast
and they picked it up several times. Not my first choice of jigs over all
by the way. I'm not even sure why I had that jig tied on.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:34 AM
BassMaster

definately toss a neutral color, like green pumpkin or watermellon,
weightless senko by the cover that is holding them. they apparently are
hungry, but not in the starving or angry reaction mood, so they might not
resist taking an easy, slow falling meal.

Sean