Wash your hands??

Old March 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM
RichG

Default Wash your hands??

On another thread... "Doyce" mentioned that he uses "attractant" to mask
human scents.
Another alternative was washing one's hand with un-scented soap. Somehow,
getting out a bar of soap; washing; rinsing and then drying before my next
cast doesn't fit my -bang- bang- style of fishing.

In our local gas stations, they have a wall-mounted -spray- system that puts
out a quick drying/non-scented ( to me ) liquid. It removes the gasoline
smell and leaves your hands dry and odor-less. Has anyone tried that stuff
in the boat for the "masking the human scent" problem???

RichG
--
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old March 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Doyce McIlvene

Hey RichG,
Washing one's hands with soap before every cast doesn't fit my style of
fishing either, but it is a something that was done not after every cast,
but periodically thoughout the day before the advent of the abundace of
attractants that are on the market today. Another trick we used to use in
the days of yesteryear was to use a little anise oil mixed with mineral oil
to cover human scent. I guess that I'm dating myself with these suggestions.
lol!
Keep your line wet!
--
Doyce

m...

Old March 28th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Bob

I guess that I am in your group of dating myself, although my daddy taught
me to mix the anise oil with grain alcohol. And then you had a dual purpose
liquid (hic) :-\

Cast far
Bob

Old March 29th, 2004, 02:07 AM
John Kerr

I have never washed my hands when fishing with anything other than the
"slim" of the first fish caught....I do pretty good that way, but the
noon day sandwich tastes a bit "fishy" g.
JK

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Craig Baugher

You sound like me John. I hate changing lures once it has the scent of bass
on it. I know it is just a confidence factor, but once I catch one fish on
a lure, I milk every fish I can out of it, before I absolutely have to trash
it.

But I feel just the opposite if a Muskie or Pike eats a lure. In that case,
I retire that rod, reel, and lure for the day, and thoroughly wash my hands
with a neutral scent soap. Again, it is simply a mental thing.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:29 AM
go-bassn

RichZ washes his hands with gasoline to get rid of the soap scent...

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

m...

Old March 29th, 2004, 01:37 PM
RichZ

Go-bassn wrote:
RichZ washes his hands with gasoline to get rid of the soap scent...

Not quite. But if I get any gas on my hands willing up the tank or spray
myself with bug spray or grease myself up with sunscreen or whatever, I
don't give it a 2nd thought. Neither do the fish.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old March 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM
BassMr

I agree Rich,if a bass wants to eat your bait,it will.I have heard of guys
using WD-40 as an attractant that works well,if they will hit that,they will
hit anything.

Old March 30th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Calif Bill

ink.net...

RichZ wrote in message

Go-bassn wrote:
RichZ washes his hands with gasoline to get rid of the soap scent...

Not quite. But if I get any gas on my hands willing up the tank or spray
myself with bug spray or grease myself up with sunscreen or whatever, I
don't give it a 2nd thought. Neither do the fish.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Depends on the fish species. Bass just hit movement most of the time, but I
also fish sturgeon and salmon. Sturgeon are basically blind, and eat via
scent. Bad scent, and no fish in the boat. Salmon, are also very scent
oriented like all salmonoids. I have had a tray of bait get caught by the
wind and slid across the top of the portable gas tank and never had a salmon
bite, when all the rest of the boats around me were nailing them. I think
if you are bait fishing bass, then the bad scent on your hands will affect
the catching.