Fishing with spoon

Old August 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Default Fishing with spoon

Anyone fish using a spoon? I read a recent article about spoons being
very much weedless so I gave it a try. I _really_ liked the way it
behaved in the water! I could skim it across the top or let it dive. I
could through it up in the thickest cover and pull it right out. I
could even jump it over objects like a shad. I've only been able to
fish the spoon for about 3 hours so far. I had one short bite from a
bass and then caught a gar (so I guess it looks like a wounded fish).
Gar are just nasty .

So, how many people here use a spoon? If you don't, why not? If you use
a spoon, do you use a trailer? Mine came with a silver/foil trailer
that looks good.

Old August 8th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Sarge

wrote: "Anyone fish using a spoon? I read a recent
article about spoons being very much weedless so I gave it a try. I _really_
liked the way it behaved in the water! I could skim it across the top or let
it dive. I
could through it up in the thickest cover and pull it right out. I could
even jump it over objects like a shad. I've only been able to fish the spoon
for about 3 hours so far. I had one short bite from a bass and then caught a
gar (so I guess it looks like a wounded fish). Gar are just nasty .
So, how many people here use a spoon? If you don't, why not? If you use a
spoon, do you use a trailer? Mine came with a silver/foil trailer that looks
good."

I fish the weedless spoon but mostly for redfish. I only use it in shallow
ponds with lots of grass. Redfish make a hole in the grass like a bass
waiting for prey to pass over. I don't use a trailer.

By the way gar fish are good eating. Just be careful when cleaning that you
avoid contact of the meat with the roe. The roe is poisonous.

Sarge

Here is a recipe:

Garfish balls

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 pounds Garfish meat
salt and pepper
fish fry
oil for frying

Directions
Grind Garfish in meat grinder or food processor.

Add the onion, bellpepper and garlic. Mix well and form into balls (golf
ball size or larger if desired).

Roll in fish fry and deep fry until golden brown.

Serve alone or with your favorite dipping sauce goes really great with crab
or shrimp stew.

Old August 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Bryan Scott

New here, but needed to reply. My brother and I fished this past
weekend at Amistad and he refused to use anyhting else. He caught two
2.0-2.5lb LM on a silver Nemire spoon. He was bouncing it just under
the surface, it had amazing action. He said that he had lots and lots
of strikes, could have been other sunfish but....... He thought maybe
the Bass were short striking, so he added a trailer and didn't get a
hit, so he took it off. He also tried a grub trailer, with no effect.
So he just went back to fishing it straight. So all in all it
performed, but not sure how well, I caught 3 bass to his 1 using a
pumpkin pepper Zoom worm Texas Rigged. About two weeks ago I used a 3/4
oz spoon (Jehnsen?) jigging it up and down under a bridge in 22ft of
water and hooked up three times, only one LM the other Stiper and Gar.

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Bob La Londe

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone fish using a spoon? I read a recent article about spoons being
very much weedless so I gave it a try. I _really_ liked the way it
behaved in the water! I could skim it across the top or let it dive. I
could through it up in the thickest cover and pull it right out. I
could even jump it over objects like a shad. I've only been able to
fish the spoon for about 3 hours so far. I had one short bite from a
bass and then caught a gar (so I guess it looks like a wounded fish).
Gar are just nasty .

So, how many people here use a spoon? If you don't, why not? If you use
a spoon, do you use a trailer? Mine came with a silver/foil trailer
that looks good.

I have used a Kastmaster in and around disturbed bait fish when a topwater
wouldn't produce. Caught some of my best bags a couple years ago ont hem.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com