pieces, pieces ...dumb question?

Old October 1st, 2003, 05:48 PM
Larry L

Default pieces, pieces ...dumb question?

Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Old October 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM
Mu Young Lee

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:

Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Short tubes are easier to strap to a backpack or even a fanny pack when
hiking.

Mu
Old October 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM
Skwala

"Larry L" wrote in message
Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any

"reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

I bought a 3 piece Winston IM 6 8.5 6 WT back in the '90's because it was
the first Winston that had an action I liked, faster than the same model in
2 piece.

Other than that, some models will fit into a lap top bag, which means you
can pot hole on the way home from work, which is kinda cool.

Skwala

Old October 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM
rb608

"Larry L" wrote in message
Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any

"reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

I doubt it. Ease of transport has gotta be the #1 reason all rods aren't
one big piece. There's the consideration of breakage, I suppose, in that
you only need to rebuild half a rod when you break it; but I think that's a
benefit, not a reason.

Joe F.

Old October 1st, 2003, 07:01 PM
brians

Larry L wrote:

Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Backpacking rod. Those cool long tubes tend to get hung up on stuff.

brians

Old October 1st, 2003, 07:32 PM
Larry L

"rw" wrote

Also, don't minimize the value of fitting the rod in carry-on luggage.
You may not ever fly to fish somewhere, but many others do.

hehe, that's why I said "for me" in the post

.... just trying to decide whether to buy 2 or 4 piece
... I seriously doubt I'll ever backpack again, my right ankle and both
knees hurt so badly I can barely walk some days,
....... but "fits in pack" seems nice in a romantic daydreaming sort of way
....... and daydreaming is a big part of fly fishing

Old October 1st, 2003, 07:49 PM
rw

Larry L wrote:
Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

A five-piece 8'6" rod fits comfortably in a saddle bag or a backpack.

Old October 1st, 2003, 10:18 PM
Flyfish

brians wrote in
:

Larry L wrote:

Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should"
come in cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I
can't imagine flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides
is there any "reason" for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Backpacking rod. Those cool long tubes tend to get hung up on stuff.

brians

On the other hand the cool long tubes can make and excellent walking stick

Flyfish
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:11 AM
mr rapidan

I fish mostly with a 5 piece 6'9" 3 wt Winston LT. I know you don't
care about flying, but it does fit right in my carry on. I check one
or two backup rods, and I'm glad I don't have to lug a big rod tube
around the airport, and that the little rod tube I do carry hides in
my carry on. Like most everyone else is saying, it also fits
completely into a small day pack. For some reason, I like being able
to put all my fishing stuff into a daypack and look just like a
dayhiker as I'm getting to brookie streams. I'm happy not advertising
that I'm fishing. For longer backcountry excursions, I'd rather have
a smaller rod tube completely inside my backpack than a larger rod
tube stuck in a sleeve and poking way above the top of my pack. And
even packing the rod into a gear bag to throw in the vehicle, and
getting it in and out of the front door at home is easier. What's not
to like? You can even hide it in your house, if getting it by SWMBO
is a factor. Kidding.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:50 AM
Peter Charles

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:48:24 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

they fit in the trunk of a little car

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html