Information

Old December 7th, 2003, 10:35 PM
jack schmitt KQ4C

Default Information

I just received in the mail some tube type plastic baits. They are tubes
with the worst smell that I have encountered. What is the thought of the
group on smelly tubes as a turn off to a bass bite???
Old December 7th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Charles B. Summers

The stinkier the better if you ask me. One sniff from a bag of Powerworms
will convince you!

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old December 7th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Josh

ditto what Charles says.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 8th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Bob La Londe

I used to put a little salad oil, a dead shad, and a bit of fresh minced
garlic in a zip lock bag with my Storm Thin Fin Silver Shad lures. I once
forgot about one of those baggies for most of a summer. It stunk pretty bad
when I found it, the three lures I had in it sure did produce some fish

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

"Josh" wrote in message
ditto what Charles says.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 8th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Marty

jack schmitt KQ4C wrote in message
I just received in the mail some tube type plastic baits. They are tubes
with the worst smell that I have encountered. What is the thought of the
group on smelly tubes as a turn off to a bass bite???

Probably turns them on. Earlier this year, I bit the end off a GY lure,
either a Cut Tail or Senko, and practically gagged for five minutes.
However, the bass don't seem to mind at all.

Old December 8th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Charles B. Summers

I did that as well with a few of my drop-shot baits as an experiment. I left
out the dead shad though...

Results? Indecisive. I got bit one both the ones I doctored and the ones I
didn't.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I used to put a little salad oil, a dead shad, and a bit of fresh minced
garlic in a zip lock bag with my Storm Thin Fin Silver Shad lures. I once
forgot about one of those baggies for most of a summer. It stunk pretty

bad
when I found it, the three lures I had in it sure did produce some fish

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

"Josh" wrote in message
ditto what Charles says.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old December 8th, 2003, 10:47 PM
BassMr.

That's true Catfish! I came in second in a tournament @ Clarks Hill one time
fishing from the back of a boat throwing Powerbait worms on a Carolina
rig.The only bag I had was a sample pack w/ 4 worms in it and they all got
eaten while my "boater" had none and didn't catch a keeper.
I have been a stinky bait fan since!(and I think he went right out and
bought some)

Old December 9th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Charles B. Summers

TNBass has some formula that he told me was the original powerbait scent.
Man... talk about a reeking scent. That's some good stuff and I wished that
he'd left the bottle in the boat with his cell phone that night. He might
not have gotten it back.

I was still smelling that stuff as I drove home that night, but I think he
may have actually squirted me with it. The lady at the market wasn't in a
talkative mood that night, and I believe I know why.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.midtennclassic.org
ink.net...

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Joe Haubenreich

I admit, I was trying out some powerful stuff I'd picked up at ICAST last
summer, but keep in mind I was in Charles' boat. I wouldn't put that stuff
in my own and risk getting it on the ODF's carpet! In general I find myself
in the "Rich Z" school of thought when it comes to scents. Let me see if I
can paraphrase him....

They're all just snake oil and skunk water, good at generating revenue for
attractant bottlers and lure manufacturers, but meaningless to bass.

On Okeechobee in October, I tested this concept by liberally coating my
plastic worm with sunscreen. I've read where sun screen with PABA is a fish
repellant. The bass there must not have read the article, because I caught
as many or more bass on that well-protected worm as Justin Hires or I did
with any other bait in the two days we fished with Moe.

Rich claimed he could soak his baits in gasoline and fish them with absolute
confidence, and I reckon he'd be right. At this point, the only advantage I
see in squirting scents on baits is the possibility of the oil-based ones
making a soft plastic just a little more slippery so it comes through the
buckbrush better.

So Jack, I'd say the scent won't hurt any, but I wouldn't count on it adding
anything to your productivity.

Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com
First real spinnerbait innovation in decades

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot) wrote in
message news TNBass has some formula that he told me was the original powerbait scent.
Man... talk about a reeking scent. That's some good stuff and I wished that
he'd left the bottle in the boat with his cell phone that night. He might
not have gotten it back.

I was still smelling that stuff as I drove home that night, but I think he
may have actually squirted me with it. The lady at the market wasn't in a
talkative mood that night, and I believe I know why.

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.midtennclassic.org
ink.net...

Old December 9th, 2003, 02:52 PM
jack schmitt KQ4C

Joe Haubenreich wrote:

[...]

"BassMr." wrote in message
ink.net...
That's true Catfish! I came in second in a tournament @ Clarks Hill one

time
fishing from the back of a boat throwing Powerbait worms on a Carolina
rig.The only bag I had was a sample pack w/ 4 worms in it and they all got
eaten while my "boater" had none and didn't catch a keeper.
I have been a stinky bait fan since!(and I think he went right out and
bought some)

Thanks, Joe, Charles and everyone else for your input. To be honest, my
productivity this year has been about as poor as I can remember. Happy
Holidays to all.