You couldn't ask for a better weekend...

Old March 29th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Charles B. Summers

Default You couldn't ask for a better weekend...

Well, if the fish were biting it could have been a little better.

I met Joshuall and his buddy at Percy Priest yesterday morning, and had
already picked up Robby at K-Mart. Josh was down from Chicago and wanted to
meet at 6:00am. The weather was absolutely beautiful with clear skies and 70
degree weather. We fished until about 2:00pm before I had to leave. Only
caught one bass and a rock bass, both taken on a powerworm, but missed a
good fish on three different occasions. Robby switched over to bream and
crappie for the last hour of the day and was doing pretty well.

Everything was tight to cover/structure as I would have expected for a clear
day, and there were a TON of other anglers out. The crappie guys were
everywhere too, but they were having a better day than us bassers.

Water temps started in the 50's and before noon had climbed up to 60 degree.
The water was as clear as I think I've ever seen it. The bass should be
getting ready to spawn any day now. As long as they don't raise the lake...
they'll be very easy to spot.

With the water level down about 6', I've really discovered how much I enjoy
having a good GPS with lake detail. We were able to run way up river without
incident. Sometimes, being 5' off course would have ended the day and left
me trolling back the 10 miles back to the ramp. Unfortunately, one guy found
out the hard way. We could hear the damage from a half mile away. Hopefully
he had an extra prop on board.

Next week is Center Hill!

Oh yeah... next Sunday at 1:00 central, OLN is showing the FLW event on Old
Hickory.

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:45 AM
John Kerr

Go ahead and rub it in Charles....I had to work this week-end g!
JK

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:45 PM
LedBelly

It was an awesome weekend, thanks for having me Charles.

Fished Cheatam lake in the new boat (98 stratos, 16', 75hp) on Sunday.
Flipped a jig at wood in the backwaters and creeks, C-rigged here and
there, nothing. Dritfed tubes, crawled worms, flipped and hopped jigs
on the river, nothing. I took along some meal worms my son and I used
a few weeks ago, so I decided to drift them under a float and go for a
world record bluegill. Was on a nice bank on the river channel, downed
timber, about 45 degree banks, chunk rock, pea gravel.. anything a
fish could want. Within 15 minutes 3 bass to the boat one being a
measuring fish at 14", which was a blast on 4lb test.

I think theres plenty of good bass in Cheatham, but the usual tactics
aren't gonna put them in the boat. Any advice on fishing river
currents would be greatly appreciated..

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:56 PM
BassMr

You're right Charles,it was a great weekend here.We went out at 6 on Sat.
morning and had a good day all in all.We went up the river and fished
Bartons Creek,started throwing spinner baits with no luck and then it hit
me.The FLW guys were fishing jigs shallow when they were here so I started
hitting any wood close to the bank with a bl/blue jig w/green chunk,on the
4th or 5th pitch I nailed a 3 # bass.We ended up catching 5 bass on jigs and
3 more on shallow crankbaits,only 2 of them wouldn't have been keepers.
This is perfect weather w/ no jet skiers around and plenty of water to
fish.With the reports I hear from Priest I am surprised you don't make the
drive to Old Hickory and catch some fish,becausae they are ON!
news

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Charles Summers

Prist should kick in here shortly. I'm surprised that it wasn't this past
weekend, but it is still March.

I'm not a shallow water fisherman, but will fish it when I have too. That's
what I like best about JPP, there's shallows and depth. Now that I've got a
good GPS, I would probably feel better about fishing OH more often, but JPP
is just SO close.

ink.net...

Old March 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM
BassMr

Now that I've got a
good GPS, I would probably feel better about fishing OH more often, but

JPP
is just SO close.

Charles,it's hard to get lost on Old Hickory,and I know that Nitro has a
depth finder.Be careful not to fish the same water all the time,it will
stunt your growth as a versatile angler. I'm not a shallow water fisherman,
but will fish it when I have too.
From now till the weather really heats up aren't most of the fish
shallow,getting ready to spawn,then spawning,them moving out to the first
break?
Charles Summers wrote in message
Prist should kick in here shortly. I'm surprised that it wasn't this past
weekend, but it is still March.

.. That's
what I like best about JPP, there's shallows and depth.

ink.net...

Old March 29th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Charles Summers

Not worried about getting lost... but rather running out of deeper water and
beaching the boat again. LOL

I'm usually confident that I can find fish in deeper water, when they're
there. I have very little confidence in shallow water, and I know I've got
to break that lack of confidence and catch some fish. To me, 10' of water is
shallow. Our first tournamant was won by a guy fishing in less than 1' of
water, so yeah... the fish are moving shallow, at least on Priest. Everyone
this weekend that was fishing for bass was fishing shallow with either a
crankbait, spinnerbait, or carolina rig. I tried the carolina rig and
spinnerbait, but there were just too many people stacked up on the points
and I'm not the kind of person to wait in line.

I did get bit on the carolina rig, and that made me feel better about using
it. I was marking fish in about 14' of water early in the day. Never hooked
up with one, but I'm beginning to understand the method a little more.

"BassMr" wrote in message
ink.net...
Now that I've got a
good GPS, I would probably feel better about fishing OH more often, but

JPP
is just SO close.

Charles,it's hard to get lost on Old Hickory,and I know that Nitro has a
depth finder.Be careful not to fish the same water all the time,it will
stunt your growth as a versatile angler. I'm not a shallow water

fisherman,
but will fish it when I have too.
From now till the weather really heats up aren't most of the fish
shallow,getting ready to spawn,then spawning,them moving out to the first
break?
Charles Summers wrote in message
Prist should kick in here shortly. I'm surprised that it wasn't this

past
weekend, but it is still March.

. That's
what I like best about JPP, there's shallows and depth.

"BassMr" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

news Well, if the fish were biting it could have been a little better.