Can You Believe?

Old August 27th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Default Can You Believe?

Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
last dealings with Cabelas.

--

Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

Old August 27th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:49:31 -0400, "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)"
sent into the ether:

Picture this....... I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick. Would you
believe they charged me $5.95 for shipping, because they packed the hooks
into a cardboard box that's 12" long, 10" wide, and 4" high. They could have
shipped them in a padded envelope for about $.85. I believe the main reason
for all of this was so that they could send me a paper catalog, and some
dumb brochure. So that means I paid extra for shipping so that I could
receive their advertisements. What a rip-off !! Needless to say that was my
last dealings with Cabelas.

I got a free training DVD in a 18" square cardboard box the other day
at work. It must have been the same shipping clerk :}

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 27th, 2004, 04:21 AM
RichZ

Jerry wrote:
I ordered a pack of 5/0 hooks from Cabelas. They come 25
to a pack, so the pack is 4" long, 3" wide and about a 1/2" thick.

I'm not an apologist for Cabela's but I don't believe your point is valid.
Remember, it's not Shipping, it's Shipping & HANDLING.

Like 95% of the mail order/online order firms on the planet, Cabela's S&H
charges are based on the value of the order, not the actual shipping costs.
I don't know what hooks you bought, but for the S&H to be $5.95, the
merchandise total had to be between $15 and $30. Did it come UPS? If so,
keep in mind that there's more than 3 bucks in extra charges from UPS for
delivery to a residential address and delivery to areas outside the big
cities. One or both of those surcharges gets tacked on to more than 70% of
the orders a retail firm in the outdoors industry ships (the customer
profile is suburban/rural). Add a 5 buck UPS surcharge for every wrong
address (things as simple as mispelled street names can generate the bad
address charge, which is at the discretion of the driver). None of those
charges may have applied in your case. But they are in effect in many
cases, and all have to be averaged in to the S&H chart. FWIW, Cabela's S&H
chart (breakpoints and charges) is identical to that of BPS.

The USPS is trying to make headway into this market, but until they offer
package tracking, it's not going to be practical except on low end orders.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old August 27th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Marty

"Jerry Barton (NervisRek)" wrote in message

This isn't related, but I recently ordered 8 packs of snaps from
arkiejigs.com. Their minimum shipping charge was $5.95, which probably makes
sense since guys are ordering maybe a pound or two of jigs, but these snaps
could have been mailed for two stamps, I think.

I was willing to pay, though, because I really wanted that brand of snap,
which is no longer available locally. So I dropped them an e-mail and said I
was willing to pay the $5.95, but it seemed odd because of the small
physical size of my order. The lady wrote back and offered to send them by
mail for $2, which I thought was great service above and beyond the call of
duty.

That's something I'll remember for the next time I need something that they
carry.