choosing the right rod

Old August 9th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Vittorix

Default choosing the right rod

I definitively want to buy a fly rod and start fly fishing

I would like to spend about 100$ on it, there's a 69$ Orvis one that
seems to me too cheap, but I can't really judge.
I saw Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop offers, and Cabelas has nice prices, but
I don't know anything about fly rods, so: what are the right
characteristics of a fly rod? (material, lenght, range, line supported,
pieces ecc..)
I think should be on graphite, right?
the 4 pieces rods are very comfortable to transport (even for a trip),
but structurally and functionally are ok? too many junctions aren't bad?
the rod will be weak or rigid?
the weight should be balanced? the action fast, medium or what?
and so on..

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old August 9th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Daniel-San

"Vittorix" :
I definitively want to buy a fly rod and start fly fishing

I would like to spend about 100$ on it, there's a 69$ Orvis one that seems
to me too cheap, but I can't really judge.
I saw Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop offers, and Cabelas has nice prices, but I
don't know anything about fly rods, so: what are the right characteristics
of a fly rod? (material, lenght, range, line supported, pieces ecc..)
I think should be on graphite, right?
the 4 pieces rods are very comfortable to transport (even for a trip), but
structurally and functionally are ok? too many junctions aren't bad? the
rod will be weak or rigid?
the weight should be balanced? the action fast, medium or what?
and so on..

--
ciao
Vittorix

As a fellow semi-newbie, I'll wade in on this one. The rod you buy depends
on two things: what you like and what you can afford. I'd highly recommend
that you speak with the folks at the Orvis store near you, or hop on the
Metra to Glen Ellyn and talk with the folks at Fly and Field (directly
across the street from the Glen Ellyn train station). I've been to the Orvi$
store in Chicago, and while they do have a fairly nice selection of tying
materials, their rods are of course limited to their own brand. The folks at
F&F carry 5 or 6 different brands, and will help you pick a rod that suits
your casting style, and your intended target water/species. The downside is
that F&F carries some pretty spendy stuff, so if budget is a real issue, let
them know -- they're good people. They may have some used rods. If you're
feeling adventurous, take a trip up to Gurnee and see the older guy at Bass
Pro. He's a really nice guy and will tell you the God's honest truth about
their stuff, and will recommend stuff that he doesn't even sell. I've had
many conversations with him, and have learned a lot.

As to the actual rod itself, in terms of number of pieces, material, etc., I
have a pretty limited knowledge, so if I'm wrong, hopefully, a more
experienced ROFFian will correct me. What I've gleaned from this group and a
lot of magazine/internet reading is that the graphite/cane discussion comes
down to preference and budget. Some folks can't cast 'boo, and some folks
just plain hate anything that isn't 'boo. Certain casting styles are more
easily matched with different rods. While I'm pretty far from a "good"
caster, I do OK with graphite, but I look like a Gumby when I use my buddy's
bamboo rod. The flex just isn't what I'm accustomed to. As far as number of
pieces, (and agian, this is only my limited knowledge) my understanding is
that before the huge advances in materials that have recently come alond, a
one-piece (ar two at most) was desired in order to maintain a more constant
flex in the rod. With graphite especially, I've read that in some cases more
pieces is actually better, the rod manufacturere can control exactly where
the flex points are, and how the pieces interact with one another.

Bottom line, IMHO is to get some specific recommendations from a good
fly-shop and then let your wallet decide from the ones that you like.

Beware, however that there is most definietly no "perfect" rod for all
occassions. Lots of folks like a 8 or 9 foot five weight for trout, but on
some water, that's just too long. Hell, on some it's too short. It's gonna
take a little compromise to find a rod that suits **most** of your fishing.

Good luck,
Dan

Old August 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Flysmallie Flysmallie is offline
Junior Member

What are you going to be fishing for?

Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittorix

Old August 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Don Phillipson

"Vittorix" wrote in message

I definitively want to buy a fly rod and start fly fishing . . .
I saw Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop offers, and Cabelas has nice prices, but
I don't know anything about fly rods, so: what are the right
characteristics of a fly rod? (material, lenght, range, line supported,
pieces ecc..)

1. Line weight is the main variable because
it controls delicacy. For trout, you will be using flies as
small as #18 which require delicate handling, thus a 5-weight
line or finer. For bass, you have to cast #4 or #2 streamers,
which requires an 8-weight line. Line 7-weight would be a
compromise, OK for most beginners.
2. Buy only where you can air-cast (rod and reel and line)
beforehand so you can find out if you like the feel of it.
2b. Buy where the dealer can be trusted to supply rod &
reel & line that go together well. $200 covers everything.
3. It is easier to learn to cast a longer rod (8.5 feet) than
a shorter (7.5 feet or less.)
4. If none of your friends fishes fly, locate and join the
nearest FF club. Internet searches and your local
newspaper's outdoors columnists can point you in the
right direction. There is lots of good advice in the
public library too.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 10th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Moonman

"Flysmallie" wrote in message

What are you going to be fishing for?

Ronnie

I got this one, I am going to stick my neck out here and say "fish", I could
be wrong

mm.

Old August 15th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Vittorix

Daniel-San wrote:

As a fellow semi-newbie, I'll wade in on this one.

thanks a lot Daniel, I read your suggestions and I went and finally I
bought the rod!

take a trip up to Gurnee and see
the older guy at Bass Pro. He's a really nice guy and will tell you
the God's honest truth about their stuff, and will recommend stuff
that he doesn't even sell. I've had many conversations with him, and
have learned a lot.

that's interesting, I went there but I didn't meet him, maybe next time

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old August 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Vittorix

Flysmallie wrote:
What are you going to be fishing for?

trouts, salmons, largemouths, striped. even muskies if is possible to
aim to them

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old August 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Vittorix

Don Phillipson wrote:

1. Line weight is the main variable because

thanks Don, I read yours and Daniel's hints and after researching I
finally bought one!

--
ciao
Vittorix