Wal-Mart sucks

Old January 13th, 2004, 01:53 PM
SHREDİ

Default Wal-Mart sucks

SHREDİ wrote:
Wal Mart kills small business, free market captalism, and works their
employees 37 hrs a week in order to not have to give a health plan.
We end up paying for them.
These are just small samples of a terrible company.

Now they took out life insurance policies, on their employees, and
cashed them in for the company:
http://tinyurl.com/3x5vy

DALLAS - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has settled a lawsuit over its practice
of taking out life insurance on employees and making itself the
beneficiary. "A large percentage of the population doesn't approve of
the morality or the ethics of this type of conduct," Mike Myers, a
Houston attorney for the families, said Friday. "My clients'
reaction, when they found out, was stunned and disbelief, turning to
frustration and anger."

Buy tackle from your LOCAL tackle shop or shop online!

http://tinyurl.com/2f7hv

Old January 13th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Tony

DALLAS - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has settled a lawsuit over its practice
of taking out life insurance on employees and making itself the
beneficiary. "A large percentage of the population doesn't approve of
the morality or the ethics of this type of conduct," Mike Myers, a
Houston attorney for the families, said Friday. "My clients'
reaction, when they found out, was stunned and disbelief, turning to
frustration and anger."

Business practices aside. The last 4 jobs I have had as well as my current
job all have had "Life Insurance" policies with the company as the
beneficiary. Typically 1-5 mil in coverage.

This is very common for companies to protect their investment. If I die
today, it will cost considerable money to replace me as well as a lot of
lost accounts. This costs companies a lot of money. You don't usually hear
about it at the "clerk" level though, it's usually in management.

I find it kind of flattering that the company considers me of value enough
to want to protect that value.

They have insurance to cover everything else (lots of things of
insignificant value) why wouldn't they protect an employee that's worth tons
to a company?

Tony

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:37 PM
RGarri7470

looks like you been reading Playboy
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Josh

Check this out Shred. . . I am a former executive with a Catholic Health
Care System here in suburban Chicago. They provided me. . . as the
beneficiary with a $1,000,000. policy. I contributed also. Then a year ago
wheh I got "downsized" (a nice term for canned as a result of a merger and
three CEO's later) after 16 years, hey "Cashed it in" for themselves. I
didn't get a dime of my money out. They wound up with $45,000. Cash in hand.
nice huh ? Goes a lot further in the corp world than those clowns that run
walmart.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old January 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM
J Buck

I contributed also. Then a year ago wheh I got "downsized" (a nice term
for canned as a result of a merger and three CEO's later) after 16
years, hey "Cashed it in" for themselves. I didn't get a dime of my
money out. They wound up with $45,000

That's horrible. Did you look into that further?

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Todd Copeland

I love this, 100% one side look at business with no consideration for
anything else. If you walked like you think about Walmart you'd hit every
wall you walked near.

How many people does Walmart employ? Where would those people be working if
they did not work at Walmart? That local takle shop you mentioned? I think
not. If they did, what would they get paid an hour? Would they have a health
plan? Would they have life insurance? Yup... everyone people I know who
works at a local tackle shop does so mainly for the benefits and high pay.
While I believe in protecting employees rights and that many companeis take
advantage of employees, no one is forcing them to work there. If Walmart
does something wrong... nail them for it. But to think that because But
people just love pointing at the "big guy" and taking pot shots without
really looking at the big picture.

And, as Bob mentioned, don't blame the company who employees and pays
hundreds of thousands of people... blame the people who shop there because
they are getting low prices. Of course, when you have to pay twice as much
for your tackle you will have whole set of new issues to complain about.

Hey... but let's also have the _whole_ truth out the
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...urance_lawsuit
"Wal-Mart is suing AIG and Hartford Life, which sold the policies, to force
them to pay Wal-Mart's losses and additional expenses - potentially
including the cost of Monday's settlement."

"Wal-Mart is one of many large U.S. companies in recent years that have
taken out policies on the lives of employees, ranging from executives to
workers on the bottom rungs of the pay ladder, with the goal of collecting
benefits when the employees die. Companies term the policies corporate-owned
life insurance, or COLIs. Critics call them dead-peasant policies."

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:29 AM
SHREDİ

Bob Rickard wrote:
Blaim the buying public, which includes all of us. The Wal-Marts of
this world owe their existence purely to those who want great
customer service and justice for all workers, but refuse pay for it.
Every legitimate retailer who has ever lived could talk forever of
all the times that shoppers took all their prescious time and energy,
but still ended up buying elsewhere purely for price. We should
consider this as fair payment for our greed (one of the seven deadly
sins).

So true Bob but a few of us out here won't go in that store anymore. It's
just un-American in my view.
I always strive to by from the "little guy".

BTW: I caught a lot of bass last Spring, on your baits. I am definately
praying for rain here in SoCal so that my favorite fishing hole fills the 4
foot stick weed bed! Your spinnerbaits are deadly in there!!

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:02 AM
J Buck

I love this, 100% one side look at business with no consideration for
anything else

You won't find a lot of Walmart defenders on this newsgroup. This
subject has been beaten to death recently on alt.rec.guns. Everyone
knows you may save some money there, but really, is it worth it to buy a
Rapala there for $4.99 as opposed to $5.19 at the local tackle shop?
When those 2 dimes you saved are long gone, the little guy will be too,
and you'll rue the day.

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Illinois Fisherman

Yes, but where would AL shop and return his broken stuff without Wally
World.

Wal-Mart is both good and bad for any community. They put small businesses
out of business but hire a lot of people. They help the community as the
tear it apart at times. I buy some items there, I would be stupid not to.
But most of my rods and reels, and lures come from two small tackle shops I
frequent in my area. I have to keep them in business because they are great
people and it would be a disaster if they went out of business.