SMALL LAKE FISHING SAGA

Old October 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Lionel F. Stevenson

Default SMALL LAKE FISHING SAGA

I'm currently fishing in a small lake, about 1/4 mile diameter,(the trout
season is over in the streams & rivers.). It has 3 springs that feed it, I'm
told, and it is 35 ft. deep somewhere in the middle, I've found it not
deeper than 20 feet). I haven't found any inlet or outlet yet.

It was stocked with 4800 rainbow trout in the fall of 2004. I've caught a 2
eaters since Sept. 16, (fishing once a week), but I'm told that there are
some very large trout in the lake, (maybe 20 lb). I've tried everything I
know at this point, (which may be not much). No one is catching much there,
those that do are fishing worms.

My last adventure there was a beautiful afternoon, and I fished until dark.

Nuthin' happenin'.

I tried a lot of flies, and even a Rapala minnow lure. A fisherman in the
fishing store told me he had caught lots of fish there by trolling it.

There are a couple of rafts in the lake for summer swimmers. No one swimming
now. I figured there should be trout under those rafts.
I rowed near one of them- the water was about 10 feet deep. I cast a lot,
nothing.

I had a tandem on- a Parmachene Belle 12 with a Royal Coachman streamer 8
behind it. Nothing.

Then a fish jumped right beside the boat, dispelling my fears that the boat
was scaring them. I had a handful of line, and I flipped the tandem
immediately near where the fish had showed.

It took the fly, but I had so much slack that I didn't set the hook hard
enough, and the fish started away with the fly, but gave a shake and was
loose. It was maybe a 1-1/2 lb fish, by the feel of it.

So, I'm encouraged. My next outing, I will wait for a while after anchoring,
and then fish the Bead Head Hare's Ear.

The only fish I've caught in this lake were fish that showed just before I
caught them. Very few fish show on the surface of the lake.

If anyone has a reccommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. The season ends
Nov. 15.

-- Lionel
The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

Old October 21st, 2005, 04:10 PM
Mike Connor

"Lionel F. Stevenson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
The only fish I've caught in this lake were fish that showed just before I
caught them. Very few fish show on the surface of the lake.

If anyone has a reccommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. The season ends
Nov. 15.

-- Lionel
The more I see of people, the better I like fish.

Some food forms are common to all lakes and ponds. On a strange pond, where
you don´t know what the fish are taking, one of the best tactics is to fish
a woolly bugger at varying depths. They are often very successful when
crawled along the bottom.

One might also use a chironomid imitation on a strike indicator.

How many fish were originally stocked does not necessarily reflect the
current population density, indeed, it almost certainly does not.
Furthermore, if there are indeed 2o lb fish in the lake, then they feed on
fish. There is nothing else large enough or in sufficient abundance to
support them. Such fish will fairly quickly decimate stocks of fish.

If your intention is to catch one of these lunkers, assuming they do
actually exist, then you are probably best advised to fish a very large
streamer, 8" long or larger, and trail ( often incorrectly referred to as
"Trolling"), it behind the boat.

TL
MC

Old October 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Lionel F. Stevenson" wrote in message

If anyone has a reccommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. The season ends
Nov. 15.

Lionel,

You might try a fast sink line. Find out what the sink rate is on the line,
cast it out and count till the line is at 5 ft. and start stripping it back.
Do this at 5, 10, 15, & 20ft. depths. I would try a green or brown woolly
bugger or a bk. leach... Many times on local lakes, when nothing else is
working this strategy will...

If you know where the springs are located, I would work those areas, many
times the trout will hold in those areas for cooler better oxygenated
water...

Good luck,
JT

Old October 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Mike Connor

"Jeff Taylor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Lionel F. Stevenson" wrote in message

If anyone has a reccommendation, I'd be glad to hear it. The season ends
Nov. 15.

Lionel,

You might try a fast sink line. Find out what the sink rate is on the
line, cast it out and count till the line is at 5 ft. and start stripping
it back. Do this at 5, 10, 15, & 20ft. depths. I would try a green or
brown woolly bugger or a bk. leach... Many times on local lakes, when
nothing else is working this strategy will...

If you know where the springs are located, I would work those areas, many
times the trout will hold in those areas for cooler better oxygenated
water...

Good luck,
JT

Spring water contains very little dissolved oxygen.

TL
MC

Old October 21st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Lionel F. Stevenson

in article , Mike Connor at

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...mid/pupa.phtml

Old October 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM
BJ Conner

Mike Connor wrote:
[...]

Deja vu, we've ahd this discussion before. Some springs may have
significant disolved oxygen. The ones in the cascades tend to have
enough for fish to live in. The Fall River and the MacKinzie both
originate from huge springs. I have never seen a fish at the "blue
hole" where the MacKinzie originates but i have seen them in Fall River
spring.
You could argue these are not springs but the outlet to underground
rivers. The water flows through lava formations. If you filled your
favorite stream with lava stones such as used in a BarBQue it would be
what most of these are.

If he really wants to catch the trout to eat I recommend an inflated
night crawler about 2' above the bottom.

Old October 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

If you know where the springs are located, I would work those areas, many
times the trout will hold in those areas for cooler better oxygenated
water...

Good luck,
JT

Spring water contains very little dissolved oxygen.

TL
MC

Very true, however, during peak summer the lakes will reach temperatures on
the surface of 80 + degrees in the region I live. Water that is 80 degrees
will have much less dissolved oxygen that water that is at 50 degrees. To
my point, spring water will have much more oxygen due to it being cooler...
From 90 degrees to 45 degrees, the later will have as much as 60% more
oxygen.

JT

Old October 21st, 2005, 05:36 PM
Mike Connor

"Jeff Taylor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Very true, however, during peak summer the lakes will reach temperatures
on the surface of 80 + degrees in the region I live. Water that is 80
degrees will have much less dissolved oxygen that water that is at 50
degrees. To my point, spring water will have much more oxygen due to it
being cooler... From 90 degrees to 45 degrees, the later will have as much
as 60% more oxygen.

JT

The temperature of the spring water is irrelevant with regard to the oxygen
content. It has no, or very little dissolved oxygen in it at all. It is only
oxygenated when it reaches the surface.

TL
MC

Old October 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

The temperature of the spring water is irrelevant with regard to the
oxygen content. It has no, or very little dissolved oxygen in it at all.
It is only oxygenated when it reaches the surface.

TL
MC

I disagree...

The cooler spring water will carry more dissolved oxygen due to the
temperature of the water...

JT

The general rule for temperature and oxygen in water:
warm water contains less dissolved oxygen
than does cool water.
For example, water that is 90º F can only hold 7.4 mg/L of dissolved
oxygen (at saturation) while cooler water at 45º F can hold 11.9 mg/L, which
is about 60% more oxygen.

Old October 21st, 2005, 07:09 PM
Mike Connor

"Jeff Taylor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
I disagree...

The cooler spring water will carry more dissolved oxygen due to the
temperature of the water...

JT

The general rule for temperature and oxygen in water:
warm water contains less dissolved oxygen
than does cool water.
For example, water that is 90º F can only hold 7.4 mg/L of dissolved
oxygen (at saturation) while cooler water at 45º F can hold 11.9 mg/L,
which is about 60% more oxygen.

Simply cooling water does not add any oxygen to it. If there is none there
to start with, the temperature is quite irrelevant.

TL
MC