Sturgeon Anglers

Old August 9th, 2006, 06:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
HopalongHowie

Default Sturgeon Anglers

Just wondering if there are any fellow chasers of Acipenser
transmontanus or Acipenser medirostris out there. What rivers do you
fish and how is the fishing where you are?

Been slow as of late here on the Willapa.

Old August 17th, 2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
CoachPotato

Damn, I haven't checked in as often as I should.

I'm an avid sturgeon fisherman. I'm in California's Central Valley near
the California Delta and love fishing for the mighty sturgeon.

I have lots of sturgeon photos and stories on my website:
www.fishwisher.com

The politics of fishing are beginning to screw up my enjoyment, so my
fishing days may be numbered, but I have lots of memories I've kept on
that site.

Dale

Old August 18th, 2006, 08:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
HopalongHowie

CoachPotato wrote:
Damn, I haven't checked in as often as I should.

I'm an avid sturgeon fisherman. I'm in California's Central Valley near
the California Delta and love fishing for the mighty sturgeon.

I have lots of sturgeon photos and stories on my website:
www.fishwisher.com

The politics of fishing are beginning to screw up my enjoyment, so my
fishing days may be numbered, but I have lots of memories I've kept on
that site.

Dale

So California lowered the slot limits for sturg eh?

I'm pretty lucky here I'm a bit north of the Columbia and when its
catch and release only down there we can keep fish 42" to 60" here.

So you guys can use lamprey? Sheesh we can't even catch them
here...Protected.

I know what you mean about politics really starting to effect fishing
it seems like you almost need a lawyer with you to figure out the rules
any more.

Fishing here has been real slow I got an oversize (about 8 footer) in
July and have had even a nibble or shaker since. Like you say on your
web site, sturgeon take a lot of patient to catch. Since I'm bank
bound up here it takes even more. But I have been trying some new
areas on the river so I'm hoping they will eventually pay off.

Old August 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
HopalongHowie

CoachPotato wrote:
Damn, I haven't checked in as often as I should.

I'm an avid sturgeon fisherman. I'm in California's Central Valley near
the California Delta and love fishing for the mighty sturgeon.

I have lots of sturgeon photos and stories on my website:
www.fishwisher.com

The politics of fishing are beginning to screw up my enjoyment, so my
fishing days may be numbered, but I have lots of memories I've kept on
that site.

Dale

Good to know I'm not the only sturgeon nut out here.

Great stuff on your web site by the way.

Old August 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
CoachPotato

HopalongHowie wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only sturgeon nut out here.

Great stuff on your web site by the way.

Thanks, Howie. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It seems my fishing may be about over. If you recheck my site you'll
see I've put my old friend up for sale. I'm not getting out often
enough lately due partly to physical limitations and my passion has
waned a bit and I think that may be meds. It's a tough decision, but
I've got my RV and enjoy that still. I had 5 stents installed a year
ago and bypass ten years prior. These meds kinda knock me down and
everything is more work than it used to be.

I may do some bank fishing in the future, don't know for sure.

Dale

Old August 20th, 2006, 04:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
HopalongHowie

CoachPotato wrote:
HopalongHowie wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only sturgeon nut out here.

Great stuff on your web site by the way.

Thanks, Howie. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It seems my fishing may be about over. If you recheck my site you'll
see I've put my old friend up for sale. I'm not getting out often
enough lately due partly to physical limitations and my passion has
waned a bit and I think that may be meds. It's a tough decision, but
I've got my RV and enjoy that still. I had 5 stents installed a year
ago and bypass ten years prior. These meds kinda knock me down and
everything is more work than it used to be.

I may do some bank fishing in the future, don't know for sure.

Dale

Well Dale for what its worth bank fishing for the big ugly aint all
that bad. Kind of fun actually when you hook an oversize.

In July when I hooked that 8 footer I was fishing from a pier on the
Willapa here where I live in Raymond. I was there all by myself and
let me tell you nothing is more fun then trying to release a big sturg
from a pier with no help around.