Lost another 100K contract....OT

Old December 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Lost another 100K contract....OT

On Dec 4, 12:47*am, "John B" wrote:
I emailed *Denise Birdwell, Ed.D., *Superintendent of the Higley Unified
School District in regards to the one million in damage caused by the guy
who installed Seti programs on all the Mesa Arizona School District
computers.

I told her I would be more than happy to fly out and take care of it over
the weekend for 500K - but that if she really wanted to save money I could
do it with a telephone conference call for 100K.

she told me not to believe everything I read in the papers....got kind of
snippy about it too!

So.....still no signs of intelligent life west of the 100th? And who
needed how many computers to unearth this startling revelation?

..life simple pleasures....

If it ain't entertaining, it ain't news.

John...who still can't come up with a recipe to match those Blue Runner red
beans like they have down in Louisiana.

It'd be fun to try, though. Bring your ass and what's left of your
memory up here in July or August. Somebody we both know and trust is
gonna take us on a smallmouth hunt on some mighty fine waters.

giles
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

I emailed Denise Birdwell, Ed.D., Superintendent of the Higley Unified
School District in regards to the one million in damage caused by the guy
who installed Seti programs on all the Mesa Arizona School District
computers.

I told her I would be more than happy to fly out and take care of it over
the weekend for 500K - but that if she really wanted to save money I could
do it with a telephone conference call for 100K.

she told me not to believe everything I read in the papers....got kind of
snippy about it too!

...life simple pleasures....

Old December 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:47:14 -0800, "John B" wrote:

I emailed Denise Birdwell, Ed.D., Superintendent of the Higley Unified
School District in regards to the one million in damage caused by the guy
who installed Seti programs on all the Mesa Arizona School District
computers.

I told her I would be more than happy to fly out and take care of it over
the weekend for 500K - but that if she really wanted to save money I could
do it with a telephone conference call for 100K.

she told me not to believe everything I read in the papers....got kind of
snippy about it too!

..life simple pleasures....

John...who still can't come up with a recipe to match those Blue Runner red
beans like they have down in Louisiana.

AI have no idea about Birdwell and her computer problems, but I can tell you how
to make red beans about like Blue Runner's...I just don't know why you'd want to
bother very often when Blue Runners are available. It's the length of time they
cook - just put the beans on early in the morning, no salt in them, and let the
simmer all day, at least 12-14 hours, and then, mash up about half of them, and
add them back in. Let simmer at least another hour or so.

Here's my family's recipe, generally (it's not a secret, it's just that it is a
sorta inexact recipe):

Saute some onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil, butter and bacon grease
until they are soft. Add beans. Add double the volume of beans of water (IOW,
two inches of beans, etc. in the pot means water two inches over the beans),
some garlic, thyme (an absolute must for "Creole" cooking), bay leaves, Lea &
Perrin, black pepper, a few shots of hot sauce (either Tabasco or
Louisiana-style, like "Louisiana" brand) - again, no salt yet. And no meat yet
either - if you want meat, add it much later. Let cook for, well, until they
are like you want 'em - at least 4-5 hours, adding water and stirring as needed.
If you want them "Cream Style" ala Blue Runner, let cook 12 hours or so, etc.
etc., as above. Add salt in the last hour or two of cooking. If you want
sausage cooked in the beans, add it in the last hour or two, or, saute it
separately and add when serving. Sometimes, we'll add ham or pickle pork
(brined "pork steaks" sold in local markets) about 3-4 hours into the cooking,
sometimes not, but I don't add sausage until the last hour or two.

Also, as many New Orleanians will tell you, they are better if you put them in
the refrigerator overnight and reheat the next day. In fact, many people, if
they plan to eat them on Monday will cook them Saturday (all day), put them in
the ice box, and reheat them Monday. And they freeze well, too.

TC,

Old December 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Dec 3, 10:47*pm, "John B" wrote:
I emailed *Denise Birdwell, Ed.D., *Superintendent of the Higley Unified
School District in regards to the one million in damage caused by the guy
who installed Seti programs on all the Mesa Arizona School District
computers.

I told her I would be more than happy to fly out and take care of it over
the weekend for 500K - but that if she really wanted to save money I could
do it with a telephone conference call for 100K.

she told me not to believe everything I read in the papers....got kind of
snippy about it too!

..life simple pleasures....

John...who still can't come up with a recipe to match those Blue Runner red
beans like they have down in Louisiana.

Hummmmm. I think I'd be worried if local public officials could do
sole source contracts over the phone for 100-500k. Next time drop the
Nigerian accent. ;*&))

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/147955

Old December 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Dec 4, 10:48*pm, "Bill McKee" wrote:
"DaveS" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, "John B" wrote:

[...]

I could not believe they said the SETI program cost them hundreds of K's of
$$$ for electricity. *SETI runs in when the system is idle and on, so where
is the extra electricity. *When I worked for Maxtor, a few of the people ran
SETI, and it never seemed to affect production.- Hide quoted text -

Hummmmm, Errr, then maybe could it have been the porn?

Old December 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

"DaveS" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, "John B" wrote:

[...]

Dave-

So......how much porn would you have to download in order to use up a
couple hundred thousand dollars worth of electricity?

g.
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

"DaveS" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, "John B" wrote:

[...]

g.- Hide quoted text -

Errr, could it be like the SETI thing is just about his
insubordination, and they had cut him a break on the porn thing
earlier to ease him out without blowing the lid off, but he's a bit of
a smart-assed, know it all who lied about his SETI involvement, and
now the tech-lite Super really wants him out? Oh, and the mysterious
re-appearance of SETI on school dist computers? . . . you think Mr.
Geek might have a "back-door" set up on those 4000+ computers? I'd put
money on it.

See, there is this thing about school employees and kids and porn. JQ.
Public has a lower tolerance for the porn/kid mix than geeks. Re read
the newspaper article, and then the "comments' from people who sound
like his geek friends to me. Or if you like, just interpret the whole
thing as a Luddite response to noble Mr. Science, who is be-plagued by
his mean moronic female boss.

Old December 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

"DaveS" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, "John B" wrote:

[...]

Probably enough electricity to buy a whole barrel of red herring.

Dave
Note to Self: Haven't told my joke about Evil Torkelson jumping his
rototiller over 3 barrels of lutefisk for a while. Wait for a slow day.
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

"DaveS" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 10:47 pm, "John B" wrote:

[...]

Seems to me that when Bill wrote, "I could not believe they said the
SETI program cost them hundreds of K's of $$$ for electricity. SETI
runs in when the system is idle and on, so where is the extra
electricity. When I worked for Maxtor, a few of the people ran SETI,
and it never seemed to affect production." he was making a point about
the dubiousness of the allegation that this alleged misappropriation
of the school district's computers cost hundreds of thousands of
dollars for electricity.

I used to be involved in a project similar to the SETI program under
consideration here. It's called "Folding@home". You can read about
it he

http://folding.stanford.edu/

As Bill said is the case with the SETI project, this one runs on
cooperating computers, in the background, during idle time, only when
the computer is already turned on. Since the machine is already on,
the program's use of electricity is probably negligible.

To repeat, the topic under consideration is the alleged cost of
running this software on computers beloning to the school district.
You suggested that maybe it was the porn.

So......I ask again, how much porn would you have to download in order
to use up a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of electricity?

Before responding this time, try to figure out what is being
discussed. When you fail, see if you can find someone to explain it
to you in terms you can understand.

g.

Old December 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
John B[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

First and sadly enough, there are no Blue Runners here...in fact, searching
the three or four largest chains stores has yielded ONE location for red
beans...they do not exist here in the north!

Perhaps I will find a smaller specialty store that carries them. to expect
to find Blue Runners is a pipe dream.

With the 'canned' red beans I did find, (not cooked or seasoned) my initial
trial was along the lines of your recipe...I used, mainly, sage, garlic and
onion and cooked them all day. Set the crockpot in the garage for safe
keeping overnight and then cooked them for another day. Most folks liked
them and they were certainly edible and good to eat, but I shall continue
adjusting things - primarily by doing another batch with your recipe.

And as with the CDM coffee, I have found a place online that specializes in
shipping products north to last years tourists...coffee....beans....but,
sniff, none of those girls from Bourbon Street.

john