Matching reel and line/rod weights. What can one get away with?

Old November 30th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Dan

Default Matching reel and line/rod weights. What can one get away with?

I am still baffled by the whole line/rod/reel weight thing. I have a 7
weight Hardy JLH Golden reel winging its way towards me from England to use
on my old Fenwick 7 weight glass fibre rod. I have also decided to look for
a cheap multi-piece travel rod to allow me to fish when hiking, and it would
be nice if I could use the same reel. So, what is the lightest rod I could
get away with using the Hardy reel on? I know one has to match line weight
and rod weight, but does one absolutely have to match the reel to the rod
and line? Since everyone seems to say that 4, 5 and 6 weight rods are right
for trout, I was thinking that maybe I could get a 5 weight rod but only if
I can use the 7 weight reel on it.

Dan (who is beginning to think about making a trip to Sacramento just to
talk to Bill Kiene in person.)

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:05 PM
rw

Dan wrote:
I am still baffled by the whole line/rod/reel weight thing.

Just take a deep breath, relax, and go fishing with whatever gear you
have available. The very best advice you've gotten, that I've noticed,
came from Jeff Miller.

Dan (who is beginning to think about making a trip to Sacramento just to
talk to Bill Kiene in person.)

It wouldn't hurt.

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Wayne

You can go up or down one fairly easily with a change of spools (line should
match rod). However, balancing the reel size and weight to the rod is much
more desirable and contributes extensively to proper gearwhoring.
--
Wayne
To Fish is Human...To Release Divine!

Old November 30th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Dan

Thanks RW,

I do appreciate the advice from you and everyone else here. However, that
said, right now I don't have the equipment to go fishing at all and using
the time until I do to ask questions to enable myself to make the best
decisions about equipment seems rational.

And yes, Mr Miller's advice did seem good.

Dan

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:16 PM
rw

Dan wrote:
Thanks RW,

I do appreciate the advice from you and everyone else here. However, that
said, right now I don't have the equipment to go fishing at all and using
the time until I do to ask questions to enable myself to make the best
decisions about equipment seems rational.

And yes, Mr Miller's advice did seem good.

There's a quaint and, IMO, effete tendency among flyfishers to suppose
that gear is, if not everything, then maybe upwards of 90% of
everything. Gear matters little, the opinions of ROFF's self-proclaimed
gear whores notwithstanding. You'll need a rod, a line, a leader, and a
fly. A reel (any reel large enough) would help a lot, but it's not
absolutely essential for the trout fishing you'll be doing. (Sierras,
right?)

Don't fall into the trap of gear-whoredom, Dan. You will never recover.

P.S. Although you only need "a fly" at any one moment, I suggest you
take some spares. :-)

Old November 30th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Lat705

You mean that those who told me that 90 percent of the sport is the acquisition
of things are wrong? And I've enjoyed it so much more since my closet has been
filling up.
Old December 1st, 2003, 12:05 AM
rw

Lat705 wrote:
You mean that those who told me that 90 percent of the sport is the acquisition
of things are wrong? And I've enjoyed it so much more since my closet has been
filling up.

They're not necessarily wrong. It depends on your priorities. It's much
easier to collect gear than actually to go out and catch some trout;
and, if you have the right temperment and personality, it might even be
more rewarding.

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:43 AM
Dan

RW,

Since my total gear at this point is one (30 year old and paid for IIRC, my
mother) $25 rod and one (not here yet and cost well under $100) Hardy reel,
I think I have the urge to just accumulate gear reasonably under control. My
initial post in fact, at least on this subject, was in the hopes of being
able to use one reel on two rods.

However, I do take your point, which is, if I have understood you correctly,
that the key point is to get out and fish. I am working on that part of the
plan right now.

Cheers - Dan

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:56 AM
Wolfgang

"Dan" lose wrote in message

.....And yes, Mr Miller's advice did seem good.

Famous last words.

Wolfgang