Light or M/Light casting rod?

Old December 5th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Dale Coleman

Default Light or M/Light casting rod?

Hi all, I just bought a new Curado 101 and have been using it to cast
very light baits and lures. I also use it for canoe and kayak trolling
in open water with small crank baits. Got the reel loaded with 8LB
mono. The light mono works great for the trolling and I have found I
can go down to un-weighted 5 inch finesse worms.

Only problem is the lightest casting rod I have now is a medium power
and it does not load well with so little weight.

The intended use for the rod will be open water trolling for crappie
and bass. It will also be used to cast the finesse worms and other
light lures near cover so a little backbone in the rod would be nice.

Some might say just use a spinning rod and reel but I hate the
spinning gear for trolling - line twist problems and I find it hard to
close the bail with one hand after I have worked out a lot of line.
(the other hand is holding the paddle).

So has anybody run across a nice 6 foot M/Light casting rod that they
like?

Thanks, Dale
--
Dale Colemam

Old December 5th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Dale Coleman" wrote in message SNIP

So has anybody run across a nice 6 foot M/Light casting rod that they
like?

Dale,

I can't really say that I have run across a good 6 ML casting rod from the factory. It seems that
they have either too soft of an action or too stiff. I had the best luck buying a spinning rod
blank and building one from scratch.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old December 6th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Huck Palmatier

Look at th HMG Graphite Casting Rod (GFC38J) from ffo-tackle.com ...... I
use one and love it, plus they've got a free freight offer going on right
now. said Huck

Old December 7th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Another option if you don't mind rolling you own would be a SJ700 Loomis
blank, it's my all time favorite smallmouth and crappie rod, the best
discription is a mag bass ultralight. 4 - 8 lb test rated, 1/32 - 1/4 oz.,
Ex Fast, Mag Light blank.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Dale Coleman

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 06:33:35 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

Hi Steve and the group, I think you may be correct, I went to Bass Pro
Shops over the weekend and only found a M/Light Cranking Stick rod. It
had a slow heavy feel to it and I did not like it.

It looks like a custom rod made from a nice light power spin blank
will be my best bet. I might even try to make it myself if I can find
the time to learn how.

Thanks for the advise, Dale

Old December 8th, 2003, 01:46 PM
AJH

The Falcon Lowrider LFC 3-16 is a nice ML-MF 6ft rod designed for 8-12lb
line 3/16-3/8 oz lures..Made in the USA with a good warranty..

I fish therefore I lie