Does a "Snap-Swivel" really reduce the number of strikes?

Old July 5th, 2004, 04:10 PM
GeneS

Default Does a "Snap-Swivel" really reduce the number of strikes?

I'm installing new PowerPro 30# line on all my reels today.
I mostly fish for sal****er trout, reds, & flounder in the
Gulf Coast bays, and bass in the freshwater lakes.

Question:
I have heard that it is a pain to tie the PowerPro line.
Is there a "Snap-Swivel" out there that I can use that
will allow me to test different lures, etc. - without
scaring off the fish? Once I have found the lure, etc. that
I want to use, I can tie it to another rod & reel less the
snap-swivel.

If so, what size & brand of snap-swivel? I have never been
really clear on this subject. I have used snap-swivels on lures
in both salt & fresh water & caught fish. Then again, I really
do not know how many I lost either:-)

If anyone has ever seen good scientific data on the subject, please
post a link here.

THANKS,
Gene

Old July 5th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"GeneS" wrote in message
I'm installing new PowerPro 30# line on all my reels today.
I mostly fish for sal****er trout, reds, & flounder in the
Gulf Coast bays, and bass in the freshwater lakes.

Question:
I have heard that it is a pain to tie the PowerPro line.
Is there a "Snap-Swivel" out there that I can use that
will allow me to test different lures, etc. - without
scaring off the fish? Once I have found the lure, etc. that
I want to use, I can tie it to another rod & reel less the
snap-swivel.

***I use PowerPro all the time and don't find it a pain to tie. Use either
a regular Palomar knot or a standard Improved Clinch Knot. The only thing
that I do different with the Improved Clinch is make SEVEN wraps around the
mainline before I finish off the knot.

If so, what size & brand of snap-swivel? I have never been
really clear on this subject. I have used snap-swivels on lures
in both salt & fresh water & caught fish. Then again, I really
do not know how many I lost either:-)

***I don't use a snap swivel unless I'm using a lure that causes excessive
line twist, like an in-line spinner. I prefer to tie direct instead.

If anyone has ever seen good scientific data on the subject, please
post a link here.

***I haven't seen anything conclusive yet.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

THANKS,
Gene

Old July 5th, 2004, 10:00 PM
joe

In article ,
"GeneS" wrote:

[...]

If you are going to use (already have) additional reels I suggest just
tying on a few various lures to the additional rods. I started out with
a couple of rods and now carry about 5 - 6 on a trip. I always have a
johnson spoon (silver is my preference), topwater (walk or chug/pop),
jerkbait, sub-surface lure and a couple other options. This is for flats
fishing which I guess would be similar to what you are doing.

If you are not tying on a leader (fluorocarbon is a good bet) then the
braided lines are really not too much trouble to tie. Following the mfg.
suggestion to use enough wraps and maybe double the line it is not too
hard. The slippery nature of the lines help them snug up easily and
since they are strong and small they make a pretty compact knot.

Using a leader I use the uni to uni, doubling the braid and making about
8 - 9 wraps then just use the typical 3 - 4 for the 20 - 30 pound
leader. I do hate to try to tie this any more than needed so I usually
add about 30 inches of leader to give room to re-tie. Of course if you
get into a snook (or even ladyfish) you may have to replace the leader
anyway from the abrasion.

I use a swivel with my spoon and have not noticed any shyness on the
part of the reds that I have caught. I do not imagine that tying on a
swivel would be a huge deterrent to getting strikes. I have thought
about using a swivel between the braid and the leader. The biggest
problem with this is that the swivel will not go through the guides or
possibly could damage your tiptop guide.

The other issue with using a snap swivel with your terminal tackle is
that it will likely change the action and balance of the lure you are
trying. Lastly, it is another possible point of failure. I have
preferred using the ball bearing swivels but have had failures even with
some of the 'better' brands.

Overall I would suggest just tying on your lure other than something
that requires a swivel to avoid line twist (like a spoon).

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Cliff

Fish behavior is bound to be anecdotal (not scientific) at best, but one
thing is certain. I thought any snap swivel would be stronger than any
line attached to it, but found out that some snaps pull apart quite easily.

If you take your spring scale and pull some snaps, you will see how the
design of the snap affects its strength. Some will pop open and others
will cinch up like a knot.

If you use a smaller snap to improve fish strikes, you should do some
pull tests first, to determine the best size snap for the line.

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Joe Haubenreich

The barrel swivel adds a potential failure point between you and the fish,
Gene, and you don't need a swivel with most baits. What you're really
looking for is just a good quality quick-snap -- something like the
Fast-Lock Bass Snap from Bass Pro Shops. They come on Luhr-Jenson crankbaits
already, taking the place of the split rings.

Joe

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Bob Rickard

I swear by Duo-Lock snaps, but of course never on a bare hook where you
should always tie direct. I use swivels ONLY when fishing spoons and tiny
in-line spinners (SW spinnerbaits totally eliminate the need for ever using
any larger in-line spinners).

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in
message ...

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Craig

See abpf for a quick tying strong knot, then throw those snap-swivels away.

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old July 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM
GeneS

I found this article interesting:
http://www.sal****ersportsman.com/sa...584098,00.html

Gene

Old July 7th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Bob La Londe

Rarely does a snap swivel reduce the fish catching IMHO. There are times in
clear water when fishing small baits that it can make a diffreence. I know
I was fishing 1/16 oz in line spinners on light tackle in Oak Creek once
many years ago, and I just couldn't get bit. I switched to tieing the baits
directly to the line and I started picking up a few fish. (trout) I would
clip off the bait and snap out the line every 20 or so casts to try and
straighten out the line twist.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index