yooper troutin - sept 9

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Jeff Miller

Default yooper troutin - sept 9

wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette? no
hotel rooms available that weekend according to expedia. i haven't
looked, but is that some unique yooper holiday weekend in marquette? or
just labor day holdovers? should i bring a special hat or costume? g

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where. so bill...bring an extra tent g

jeff
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
William Claspy

On 4/6/05 7:36 AM, in article HQP4e.109393$SF.47907@lakeread08, "Jeff
Miller" wrote:

wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette? no
hotel rooms available that weekend according to expedia. i haven't
looked, but is that some unique yooper holiday weekend in marquette? or
just labor day holdovers? should i bring a special hat or costume? g

Opening of the ski season. :-)

One guess: might be move-in weekend at Northern Michigan University?

Did you book flights? Maybe try the next week, the 16th through the 23rd?
There'll be the beginnings of fall color I'd guess by then.

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where.

You are correct sir. Not much in that stretch. Maybe check Ishpeming (see
I TOLD you we should have bought that "house" someone posted a month or so
ago) or L'Anse. I like that town, and it is of fair size. For da Yoop.
Can't recall, but there should be some kind of lodging there. And of course
I'd talked about fishing the Skanee area, which would be easy access from
L'Anse.

Another option: you don't necessarily have to head west immediately on
arriving in Marquette. If I came up the first weekend you fly in, you could
head east and we could rendezvous on the Fox (Seney, maybe an hour east of
Marquette), then head west from there (I'll be coming from over The Bridge).
Just a thought.

so bill...bring an extra tent g

Yessir!

Whatever the decision, I'd likely be doing a five day weekend for the
expedition.

Old April 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM
William Claspy

On 4/6/05 9:41 AM, in article , "William
Claspy" wrote:

Another option: you don't necessarily have to head west immediately on
arriving in Marquette. If I came up the first weekend you fly in, you could
head east and we could rendezvous on the Fox (Seney, maybe an hour east of
Marquette), then head west from there (I'll be coming from over The Bridge).
Just a thought.

Hmmm. Mapquest says more like two hours from Marquette to Seney...

Bill

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Wayne Knight

Jeff Miller wrote:
wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette?

Opening of bear season

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where. so bill...bring an extra

tent g

I've not been invited, but can provide transportation to the UP via
airports in grand rapids, detroit, lansing, flint, or traverse city.

Old April 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
William Claspy

On 4/6/05 1:25 PM, in article
, "Wayne Knight"
wrote:

I've not been invited,

Whaddya think, guys, should we invite him?

:-)

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Wolfgang

"William Claspy" wrote in message
On 4/6/05 1:25 PM, in article
, "Wayne Knight"
wrote:

I've not been invited,

Whaddya think, guys, should we invite him?

A mere formality overlooked as one would an invitation to a member of the
flock to enter the fold.

Wolfgang
come one, come all.

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Tim J.

Wayne Knight wrote:
Jeff Miller wrote:
wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette?

Opening of bear season

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where. so bill...bring an extra
tent g

I've not been invited, but can provide transportation to the UP via
airports in grand rapids, detroit, lansing, flint, or traverse city.

"Invites" are no obstacle for roffians! Hell, you haven't been invited
out here yet either, but if you get out this way I could probably find
the time to fit a fishing trip into my schedule. Bring beer. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM
George Cleveland

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:36:09 -0400, Jeff Miller
wrote:

wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette? no
hotel rooms available that weekend according to expedia. i haven't
looked, but is that some unique yooper holiday weekend in marquette? or
just labor day holdovers? should i bring a special hat or costume? g

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where. so bill...bring an extra tent g

jeff

I have to be at work at 6pm Saturday night, Sept. 10th. Anyone going
to be in a fishing mood Friday or Saturday morning?

George C.
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Wolfgang

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeff Miller wrote:
wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette?

Opening of bear season

I haven't checked with the Michigan DNR, but this is also very close to the
opening of grouse season and the deer bow season.

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where. so bill...bring an extra

tent g

I've not been invited,

See my reply to Bill.

but can provide transportation to the UP via
airports in grand rapids, detroit, lansing, flint, or traverse city.

Just so we can deal (at least in a preliminary fashion) with all the issues,
I'll reinsert Jeff's queries and concerns:

"wolfgang, bill... um, what's the deal with sept 9 in marquette? no
hotel rooms available that weekend according to expedia. i haven't
looked, but is that some unique yooper holiday weekend in marquette? or
just labor day holdovers? should i bring a special hat or costume? g

i'll wait til sept to decide on car and hotel... but, as i recall,
there's not much between marquette and the oxymoron, octobegon,
ontononagone...oh, hell, you know where. so bill...bring an extra tent g"

If I'm not mistaken, Jeff had already set his mind on entering the U.P. via
the airport at Marquette so the transportation you offer, while appreciated
all around, won't be necessary.

Jeff.....

I suspect that Marquette being what and where it is, outfits like Expedia
probably overlook some of what they might consider.....um.....obscure
lodgings.

The itinerary doesn't make much difference to me (though I WILL have some of
what I hope to be interesting possibilities to suggest over the next couple
of months), but if I've understood you right, you were interested in
exploring a bit further east than the last time you visited......more in
Voelker's old neighborhood. If this is the case, then lodging bewtween
Marquette and Occidenta.....um....Ontologica...uh....****, now you've got ME
doing it!

Anyway, you want to be looking in the other direction. I did a bit of
checking today and found a number of websites that should help. The first,
"Towns and Cities of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan" includes links to all
of the others that follow. I included it in case you wanted to explore a
bit further afield. The other links in turn, all have links to
accomodations in their respective areas. As you will see, they include a
wide range of lodges, motels, campgrounds, etc. You might want to take a
look at others links which will take you to various attractions in the
region.

Ishpeming, Escanaba-Gladstone, Manistique and Munising are all within about
an hour and a half drive of Marquette. Seney and Newberry are considerably
further, but put you much closer to the environs of the Two Hearted and the
Fox......both of which I assume are on the menu.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/townsmi/townsmi.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/ishpeming/ish.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/escanaba/lodging.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/manistique/index.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/munising/home.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/newberry/home.html
http://www.exploringthenorth.com/seneymi/

And, last but not least, Marquette itself. Marquette is the biggest city in
the U.P. I suspect you'll find things that Expedia missed.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/marquette/lodging.html

Happy shopping!

Wolfgang
who, over the course of the next few weeks, will try to put together a list
of URLs to U.P. oriented fishing sites