Unhooking Pike

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

Default Unhooking Pike

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article ,
louisxiv
wrote:

Not on the River Spey, i don't think.

...-now- he tells us...

Mind you, just after spawning the pike was probably a bit flabby for the
pan
anyway.

Cheerio,

--

Don't see how where I caught it was relevant to my OP anyway Derek!

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , louisxiv
wrote:

Don't see how where I caught it was relevant to my OP anyway Derek!

The line asking whether you should have:

just torn the hook out and returned it?

does mean that in the whole UK you'd have been within the law although the
fish would have suffered. I was following up to Alex in Oxford** - where the
closed season does apply - who suggested you keep it which in his area would
have been unlawful.

Cheerio,

**A notorious desperado ;-) Hi Alex are you making the Brenig run?
It doesn't look like I'll be able to get there - again.

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Derek Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
I was following up to Alex in Oxford** - where the
closed season does apply - who suggested you keep it which in his area would
have been unlawful.

Cheerio,

**A notorious desperado ;-) Hi Alex are you making the Brenig run?
It doesn't look like I'll be able to get there - again.

Derek you will never know how happy you have made me.
I've never been called a desperado before!

"Now it seems to me some fine things
have been laid upon your table,
but you only want the ones that you can't get. "

"Desperado" Eagles , when? About 1970? WOW!!

Yes, Brenig calls brother!
What a pity you can't make it although I am still trying to meet up with
you far a bit of instruction on fly fishing for Bass down your way.
And don't call me Alex!
A L E C - Alec - the "C" is for .....well we won't go into that:-)
Keep riding that tide, man
Alec

--
Alec Powell
Watlington Oxon. UK

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:

Yes, Brenig calls brother!
What a pity you can't make it

The one time I attended the crack exceeded the fishing by a considerable
degree - probably because we were all in the pub at the times we should have
been fishing. It -is- in the diary but as it coincides with a bit too much
of what passes as real life around here... well, need I go on? I *might*
be there but somehow I doubt it.

although I am still trying to meet up with
you far a bit of instruction on fly fishing for Bass down your way.

Still quiet atm, leave it for a couple of months. Oh, and whilst there's
always a chance of bass there are plenty of other fish around which
shouldn't be ignored.

....and I -must- update those pages rsn...

And don't call me Alex!
A L E C - Alec - the "C" is for .....well we won't go into that:-)
Keep riding that tide, man

Er, Ooops, Here are the correct letters - 'c c' - if you'll send back the
ones I used in error I'll shove them back in the box.

Cheerio,

(Just checked the group - this is a bit OT here ;-) )

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Derek.Moody" wrote
In article Alec Powell wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Out of season so illegal to take - technically he should have put it
back even though it was dead.

Sometimes, Derek, you do make me larf :-)

'fraid it's the rule in England and Wales - though now we find he was N of
the border.

- just the same rule as applies to any other fish taken out of season.

I'm reasonably reliably told that the close season, and therefore this law
you're on about, only applies to *rivers* according to himself in the
armchair behind me ;o) He feels you should clarify this while you're
bandying words around like 'close season' and 'illegal' etc.

Hope he's got it right *lol*

Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , caroline
wrote:
"Derek.Moody" wrote
In article Alec Powell wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Out of season so illegal to take - technically he should have put it
back even though it was dead.
Sometimes, Derek, you do make me larf :-)

'fraid it's the rule in England and Wales - though now we find he was N of
the border.

- just the same rule as applies to any other fish taken out of season.

I'm reasonably reliably told that the close season, and therefore this law
you're on about, only applies to *rivers* according to himself in the
armchair behind me ;o) He feels you should clarify this while you're
bandying words around like 'close season' and 'illegal' etc.

Hope he's got it right *lol*

True but the OP did say that he caught the pike when spinning for salmon.
Salmon do not naturally inhabit lakes or ponds not connected to a river
system and so it's safe to assume that he was spinning in a river or other
water connected to a river which, if it had been in England or Wales, would
be subject to a closed season.

So: Correct but no prize ;-)

Cheerio,

Old May 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

May I recommend the French method - turn the spiky beast into
quenelles, poach in water and serve with a good butter sauce - pike is
delicious!
Gourmet