To Derek M. re' line clip

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Derek.Moody

Default To Derek M. re' line clip

In article , Richard
wrote:

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , fredcromer
wrote:

snip

For fishing the far bank the easiest and most accurate method is to walk
round there and fish directly beneath the rod-tip.

That may be ok were you fish but on some of my local waters (and very many
others around our country) you can't do that. You can't walk around to the
far bank, you can't take a punt/boat to them either (those days seem to have
passed). If you want to fish for the specimens that 'show' and 'patrol'
those areas you must cast to them. Sometimes that may be a fair distance
from a suitable _casting_ spot, and the techniques discussed in this and
another thread can be useful during both the day and night. Conversly the
techniques you have described, whilst good in certain (even many)
situations, would be next to useless at venues and in swims I have in mind.

You can always find objections and there may on occasion be places where it
isn't possible but most of the time it really is the easiest method.

It's -much- easier at night than any casting alternative, you need far less
gear and, compared to othe surface fishing methods, ducks are easier to
avoid.

Cheerio,

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Richard

wrote:

[...]

Hi Derek ...... it isn't an objection it is just a fact. One of our club
waters is a 25acre pit. In about 45 swims you can't walk round to the far
bank. If you are going to analyse just the 'hotter' carp swims for specimens
of that species than the ratio is high ..... you can't walk round to the far
bank of about 75% of the swims.

I have another much smaller club water of about 3acres, and you can't walk
round to the far bank of about 85% of the swims.

I could go on but there is little point ..... it is as I say just fact
....... and fishing to a far bank like these is fairly common.

It's -much- easier at night than any casting alternative, you need far

less
gear and, compared to othe surface fishing methods, ducks are easier to
avoid.

I'm not sure about that bit either ....... I know some that can cast 'on the
spot' and into tight positions as far as surrounding trees etc is concerned,
time and time again. It depends what you are used to and what particular
skills you have developed. BTW, you just need a rod, line marker, line clip
and a far bank feature ..... at night you may need a torch for a few
moments. You are not constrained to fishing on the bottom either.

Stay well ....... Richard

Old April 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Alex

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi Derek ...... it isn't an objection it is just a fact. One of our club
waters is a 25acre pit. In about 45 swims you can't walk round to the far
bank. If you are going to analyse just the 'hotter' carp swims for

specimens
of that species than the ratio is high ..... you can't walk round to the

far
bank of about 75% of the swims.

Is this through natural location or choice.
If the latter, have a word with the committee, or owners and get the
"problem" solved.
I suspect that deep down the average carp fisherman likes to long cast. It
is all part of the image.

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Richard

"Alex" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi Derek ...... it isn't an objection it is just a fact. One of our club
waters is a 25acre pit. In about 45 swims you can't walk round to the

far
bank. If you are going to analyse just the 'hotter' carp swims for

specimens
of that species than the ratio is high ..... you can't walk round to the

far
bank of about 75% of the swims.

Is this through natural location or choice.
If the latter, have a word with the committee, or owners and get the
"problem" solved.
I suspect that deep down the average carp fisherman likes to long cast. It
is all part of the image.

Natural location 110% ..... and not necessarily a 'long' cast (assuming your
definition is the same as mine) with this or the other water I cited ......
just the way it is ..... Richard

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Alex
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi Derek ...... it isn't an objection it is just a fact. One of our club
waters is a 25acre pit. In about 45 swims you can't walk round to the far
bank. If you are going to analyse just the 'hotter' carp swims for

specimens
of that species than the ratio is high ..... you can't walk round to the

far
bank of about 75% of the swims.

Is this through natural location or choice.
If the latter, have a word with the committee, or owners and get the
"problem" solved.
I suspect that deep down the average carp fisherman likes to long cast. It
is all part of the image.

A long time ago now (When the proper colour for carp gear was still black)
we had a real problem on a smallish local water with a few selfish anglers
who took to occupying the three or four swims where you could get a car
really close and casting several lines each into every other swim on the
pond. They water was the only one close enough to town that the younger
members could get to it by bike but these selfish zombies simply refused to
let them fish - the old 'I'm fishing that swim' shout as mentioned before.

In the end we cured it by arranging a rota whereby the youngsters would
notify us each time the problem occurred and two or three of us, at least
one a committee member, would go 'pike spinning' with 25lb bs lines. When
the leads had been reeled in we let the youngsters set up. Once the lads
were fishing the carpers, those that stayed, didn't bother them.

A couple of times I simply crept up to the bank instead, poked a rod through
a bush and hooked a carp under the overhanging foliage with the same line.
It was astonishing how easy it was to do so so that the first the carpers
knew about it was the splashing of the fish and the alarms going off where
it had been allowed to run over their lines.

Those particular fish were suckers for a lively lobworm btw.

Cheerio,

Old April 18th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Richard

wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi Derek ...... it isn't an objection it is just a fact. One of our

club
waters is a 25acre pit. In about 45 swims you can't walk round to the

far
bank. If you are going to analyse just the 'hotter' carp swims for

specimens
of that species than the ratio is high ..... you can't walk round to

the
far
bank of about 75% of the swims.

Is this through natural location or choice.

Natural location .....

If the latter, have a word with the committee, or owners and get the
"problem" solved.

So as you understand that isn't an option

I suspect that deep down the average carp fisherman likes to long cast.

It
is all part of the image.

The situation is the same for all anglers that use the water not just carp
anglers. BTW most are not long casts and Ime carp anglers 'fish' to features
that generally produce carp ..... I think the same is true for the others
also. However, I have noticed that many carp anglers seem to for example
catch more specimen bream and tench compared to those that target those
species so maybe I make a false comparison.

A long time ago now (When the proper colour for carp gear was still black)
we had a real problem on a smallish local water with a few selfish anglers
who took to occupying the three or four swims where you could get a car
really close and casting several lines each into every other swim on the
pond. Snip

The clubs I belong to would just ban members who acted in this manner .....
they are not wanted.

Cheers ...... Richard

Old April 18th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Richard
wrote:

A long time ago now (When the proper colour for carp gear was still black)
we had a real problem on a smallish local water with a few selfish anglers
who took to occupying the three or four swims where you could get a car
really close and casting several lines each into every other swim on the
pond. Snip

The clubs I belong to would just ban members who acted in this manner .....
they are not wanted.

At that time there was a rule allowing the club to refuse to renew
membership but it couldn't be withdrawn except after a long, drawn out
formal procedure which took several months. The rules were changed later.

Cheerio,