Unhooking Pike

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

Default Unhooking Pike

While spinning for salmon at the weekend I hooked a 5 - 6 lb pike. It took
the hook pretty deep and i was unable to put it back as it died while I was
unhooking it.

Should I have just torn the hook out and returned it? Or what if i'd cut the
line and returned it would the lure in its mouth have worked its way loose?
Should I carry gloves and forceps in case this happens again (it probably
will)?

Can anyone recommend any top tips about how to deal with this situation? I
really only like to fish for things I want to eat and leaving dead fish on
the bank doesn't sit well with me.

xiv

Old May 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

On Mon, 15 May 2006, louisxiv, gave forth these words of wisdom:
I really only like to fish for things I want to eat and leaving dead
fish on the bank doesn't sit well with me.

Why didn't you take it home and eat it then? Lots of good recipes for
pike if you google this NG for them,
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec Powell
Watlington Oxon. UK

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article ,
louisxiv writes
While spinning for salmon at the weekend I hooked a 5 - 6 lb pike. It took
the hook pretty deep and i was unable to put it back as it died while I was
unhooking it.

Should I have just torn the hook out and returned it? Or what if i'd cut the
line and returned it would the lure in its mouth have worked its way loose?
Should I carry gloves and forceps in case this happens again (it probably
will)?

Can anyone recommend any top tips about how to deal with this situation? I
really only like to fish for things I want to eat and leaving dead fish on
the bank doesn't sit well with me.

xiv

My friend, Leon, has some information on this he

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-F...ke_basics.html

I haven't tried that myself, but I never doubt Leon's advice.
--
Elton Murphy - Anglers' Net
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/

Old May 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006, louisxiv, gave forth these words of wisdom:
I really only like to fish for things I want to eat and leaving dead
fish on the bank doesn't sit well with me.

Why didn't you take it home and eat it then? Lots of good recipes for
pike if you google this NG for them,

Out of season so illegal to take - technically he should have put it back
even though it was dead.

In the situation I'd have gone in through the gills, there's at least a
chance it might have lived.

Cheerio,

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Elton Murphy" wrote in message
In article ,
louisxiv writes
[...]

Excellent stuff Elton. Really informative. Thanks.

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006, louisxiv, gave forth these words of wisdom:
I really only like to fish for things I want to eat and leaving dead
fish on the bank doesn't sit well with me.

Why didn't you take it home and eat it then? Lots of good recipes for
pike if you google this NG for them,

Out of season so illegal to take - technically he should have put it back
even though it was dead.

In the situation I'd have gone in through the gills, there's at least a
chance it might have lived.

Cheerio,

--

Not on the River Spey, i don't think.

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 May 2006, louisxiv, gave forth these words of wisdom:
I really only like to fish for things I want to eat and leaving dead fish
on the bank doesn't sit well with me.

Why didn't you take it home and eat it then? Lots of good recipes for pike
if you google this NG for them,
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec Powell
Watlington Oxon. UK
Skype name: alecpowell

I did! It was actually cooked up in the restaurant kitchen of the complex I
was staying in. Very nice too.

Old May 15th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Out of season so illegal to take - technically he should have put it
back even though it was dead.

Sometimes, Derek, you do make me larf :-)
--
Alec Powell
Watlington Oxon. UK

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , louisxiv
wrote:

Not on the River Spey, i don't think.

....-now- he tells us...

Mind you, just after spawning the pike was probably a bit flabby for the pan
anyway.

Cheerio,

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2006, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Out of season so illegal to take - technically he should have put it
back even though it was dead.

Sometimes, Derek, you do make me larf :-)

'fraid it's the rule in England and Wales - though now we find he was N of
the border.

- just the same rule as applies to any other fish taken out of season.

Cheerio,