A bit more advice on pike lure please

Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Brownz \(mobile\)

Default A bit more advice on pike lure please

"Brownz (Mobile)" wrote in message
"Gandalf" wrote in message
Oh well I did take a look into the murky world of lures and have
come to the conclusion that there are loads of very odd items out
there.
"paul" wrote in message
In a phrase Gandalf old man,
"your good to go".

Yoiu dont need to spend on these new fangled contraptions, the
oldies are most often the best, i still have my old spoon and it
catches more than the lads with hundreds of new "failsafe" lures

Gandalf wrote:
I can not wait to use the old ondex now, I have been looking at all
night and remembering. I stopped when I remembered it was damn near
40 years ago though.VBG

Can not wait till Sunday now when I take my son pike fishing.

The ondex are still top here for jacks & perch.

For larger pike I have a rough piece of balsa, painted flouro yellow
which never fails.

I've also been successful with wasp spinners as I call them - see
half way down the following page :

http://www.sovereignsuperbaits.co.uk...ner_baits.html

Gandalf wrote:
Many thanks for that Brownz.

These do work or they would not still be on the market but how do
they work. To daft old me they seem alien but I can see how they
would look like a small shoal of fish maybe so the pike will just
lung forward and hit it all, including the hook.

Is that the idea behind it.

As you jerk them through the water you get the usual spinner effect, the
tail pulses and expands and contracts as well - looking a bit like a jelly
fish swimming if you know what I mean.

Being a single hook they really suit my local piking spot as its snaggy and
there are a lot of large boulders on the bed which these lures just skip
over..

Being fairly light it helps to have a dedicated / quite whippy pike rod
rather than using a carp rod as many do.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
Beta TR34 (Ring ding ding ding pop pop)

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

I remember a picture of a pike found dead once and it had died because it
had tried to eat another pike that was just a little smaller. I wonder if it
still exists as that was years ago.

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Pepperoni
wrote:

most of the catch. We use huge lures on the Great Lakes, with 6 inch or
larger heavy spoons or the largest Rapala type lures being preferred.

Picture found on the www:
http://tinyurl.com/2m77ul

Yes, -that's- the size of lure you need.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

I see, though we do not have many jelly fish in the UK.(;-) I can see why it
would provoke a response from a pike though.

My son wanted a duel purpose carp rod but I managed to get one with a fairly
springy action even though it is 2.75lb test curve. It should be fine for
the medium and larger lures but basic spinners will be no good. I use a
telescopic spinning rod with a TC of about 1.75lbs which has proven fine for
most lures but was crap when I used it to ledger, no other rod with me at
the time, and had a 3 lb tench as there was no feeling in the fight.

Had to change venue for my Sunday trip to a much larger sheet of water which
is known for big pike so whilst finding them may prove interesting but the
chances of larger fish could prove worth it. My normal lake only allows one
rod per angler but the new venue allows two so I will have the pike rod out
with a dead bait whilst I search the water with a feeder me thinks. The lake
we are going to is actually one of the lakes I used to fish as a lad so it
is a trip down memory lane although I have fished it once last year and
caught some nice roach.

Thanks for the info.
--
Gandalf

Old November 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alec Powell

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Derek Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Big plug making can be a productive hobby - crude whittling and
smoothing skills are about all you need. Balsa is too bouyant for big
plugs so a bit of scrap timber is your starting point; it's more tooth
resistant too.

Good advice Derek.
I learnt my plug/spinner making skills from the following:

The Art of Lure Fishing by Charlie Bethell
The Crowood Press Ltd.
Ramsbury,
Marlborough,
Wiltshire.
SN8 2HR
ISBN 1 85223 797 X

HTH,
Alec

--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old November 26th, 2007, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

"Derek Moody" wrote in message

The big disadvantages with the coathanger type lures are that they're
awful
to cast and a real liability in bushed-up waters. They seem to deal OK
with
watery snags but the slightest touch on an overhanging branch and they
lovingly wrap themselves into an immovable embrace :-( Very much an open
waters and boatfishing option.

Seems like the sea bass may be the safest place to try them first anyway
haha
dropped into the middle of the shoal should be fun

Old November 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Brownz \(mobile\)

The Midnight Rider wrote:
"Derek Moody" wrote in message

The big disadvantages with the coathanger type lures are that they're
awful
to cast and a real liability in bushed-up waters. They seem to deal
OK with
watery snags but the slightest touch on an overhanging branch and
they lovingly wrap themselves into an immovable embrace :-( Very
much an open waters and boatfishing option.

Seems like the sea bass may be the safest place to try them first
anyway haha
dropped into the middle of the shoal should be fun

I think they originated as "Merecan" Bass Lures.

I first saw them on a trip to the states about 10yrs ago & bought some back
to try out on the local esox.

I've never looked back as they say.

PS - I normally agree with most of Derek's observations, but I have to
disagree with the comments above.
I've fished all sorts of lures, spinners, spoons, plugs, deadbaits etc and
have found these some of the easiest lures to handle.
No offence Sir Derek of Casterbridge ;-)

Old November 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Brownz (Mobile)
wrote:
The Midnight Rider wrote:
"Derek Moody" wrote in message

The big disadvantages with the coathanger type lures are that they're
awful
to cast and a real liability in bushed-up waters. They seem to deal
OK with
watery snags but the slightest touch on an overhanging branch and
they lovingly wrap themselves into an immovable embrace :-( Very
much an open waters and boatfishing option.

PS - I normally agree with most of Derek's observations, but I have to
disagree with the comments above.

Fair enough - each to his own.

I've fished all sorts of lures, spinners, spoons, plugs, deadbaits etc and
have found these some of the easiest lures to handle.

Oh, they're fine -in- the water. I tried them where you're leaning around
trees and flicking under bushes, between reed clumps and so on and found the
casting awkward compared to more compact lures and the tendency to tumble in
the air a real nuisance.

Cheerio,