Eating Course fish

Old December 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Tallspoon

Default Eating Course fish

I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me started
for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in canals
such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over here
and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Old December 25th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Ergo

Tallspoon wrote:
I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me
started for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish
caught in canals such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and
will be fishing over here and would be grateful if anyone could give
me some advice.

They tend to taste muddy and are often very boney. Carp has long been a
favourite with monks and the continentals. If you must eat them, keep them
alive and swimming in fresh clean water for a day or so, then brine them
well overnight, wash thoroughly. Don't overcook them, serve with a little
holandaise sauce.

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Old December 25th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Gray

"Tallspoon" wrote in message
I have just been given a fishing rod and some equipment to get me started
for Xmas. My question is can you eat course fish, ie fish caught in canals
such as pike tench and chub. I live in Ireland and will be fishing over

here
and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Mike

In the UK Course fish MUST be returned to the water where caught Don't know
about Eire

If on the Continent You can eat your catch and forget all the C*** about it
tasting muddy that is folk lore put about by snobby foodies who prefer Trout
IMO the fish I have eaten sur le continent have all had a wonderful taste
and 99% taste better than trout especially Bream
You just have to watch out for the bones Especially in Pike

--
Merry Christmas

From
Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk
You don't have to be mad but it helps

---

Old December 25th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Hoot!!!

If I were you dont eat the fish in the uk.
If you are seen by another fisherman you might end up with the rod shoved
where the sun dont shine.
Just go to the chip shop

Enjoy fishing

Catch then release

Old December 25th, 2003, 05:55 PM
sofasurfa

"Gray" wrote in message
snip

In the UK Course fish MUST be returned to the water where caught Don't

know
about Eire

Not true. Regions and fisheries have bye laws relating to what may and may
not be taken. Furthermore, clubs and fishery owners have their own
additional rules relating to the removal of fish from their waters. Anyone
wishing to take coarse fish from waters in the UK should check the bye laws
in their region here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ and also the
rules of the club or fishery owner. As far as I'm aware it's pretty much a
free-for-all in Eire.

Old December 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Phil L

Baal wrote:
: It's coarse nor course.

It's not, not nor!!

and anyhoo, it's the fish course he's talking about of coarse!

:-p

Old December 25th, 2003, 11:09 PM
ChurchYardYew

Of course its coarse, however, my recommendation is to shoot a Cormorant.
Pluck and place the whole bird in the oven, cook until the skin is crisp.
Carve your Cormorant and also enjoy the unique taste of fish stuffing.
Clever thing is that unlike Turkeys, Cormorants stuff themselves.
On a more serious note, get hold of a copy of Falkus and Bullers classic
"Freshwater Fishing". There is a recipe for each species of fish.

Churchyardyew.
=====================

Old December 26th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Gray

Had a copy for years

like the recipe for minnows LOL

Old December 30th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Steve

### BBQ Carp ###

Take 1 carp of about 3 - 5lbs maximum in weight,
Nail to a wooden board of about 1 inch (approx 3 cm) thick and large enough
to accomodate the carp,
Place board with attached carp onto a well lit bonfire.

Sip 7 beers and wait about 2 hours ......

Extract charred board and boney remains of carp from the bonfire.

Carefully separate the carp from the board.

Discard the carp and serve the board garnished with vegetables and a few
herbs ...... it will taste better I assure you ;-)

Happy New Year everyone

Steve

ps do not try this at home or any fishery near me grin !

Homepage: http://www.stevebb.com
Email: