A little hope

Old January 3rd, 2004, 01:37 AM
Larry L

Default A little hope

Some places we fish are very special. And although, thankfully, we don't
all have the same ones, most of us have special places that are a type of
spiritual home, with meaning to us far more important than "catching fish."

One of mine runs from Henry's Lake outlet down to St Anthony. Like many
western waters it has taken a beating the last few years, and last summer's
visit was very bittersweet, somewhat like seeing an old flame on her death
bed.

I've been following, as best I can from a distance, the efforts to rescue
fish, fix the spillway and provide enough Winter water for one of Nature's
best places.

I hope, and I pray, that Rene is correct and that optimism is appropriate
for the future.

http://www.islandparknews.com/topstories.htm

Old January 3rd, 2004, 03:28 AM
Warren

wrote...
Some places we fish are very special. And although, thankfully, we don't
all have the same ones, most of us have special places that are a type of
spiritual home, with meaning to us far more important than "catching fish."

One of mine runs from Henry's Lake outlet down to St Anthony. Like many
western waters it has taken a beating the last few years, and last summer's
visit was very bittersweet, somewhat like seeing an old flame on her death
bed.

I've been following, as best I can from a distance, the efforts to rescue
fish, fix the spillway and provide enough Winter water for one of Nature's
best places.

I hope, and I pray, that Rene is correct and that optimism is appropriate
for the future.

http://www.islandparknews.com/topstories.htm

I'd suggest doing your part and finding another place to fish. The
pressure that the Henry's Fork gets may be just another factor that
is contributing to the decline of the fishery. One thing that has
always bugged me about your views is that you see things without your
own personal impact. You might want to concentrate on what YOU can
do to help reduce, solve or improve the situation instead of merely
bitching about it. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it just kind
of gives me a case of the red ass when somebody from far, far away
starts bitching about a fishery and then follows it up with a "But I
fished it anyway."

I was reading a magazine the other day and saw an article about
redband rainbows. The article was in the Flyfishing & Tying
Journal's Winter 2004 edition. The article was entitled "Air, Earth,
Fire and Water" and was written by some ****bag named Tom Alkire. My
favorite quote is "I measured the water temperature at 78 degrees,
warm even for redbands. It was no wonder there weren't any fish in
the main stem as it was warmer still. I put on a size-18 sparkle
white Serendipity and began floating it in the film in the shaded
areas, little slots under overhanging bushes, safe harbors from the
heat and predators."

This type of reasoning is very disturbing to me. It is very similar
to "The Henry's Fork is on its way downhill and is not nearly the
fishery it once was. But I still fish it because my impact doesn't
matter. It is everyone else's fault or the fault of something else.
My meager contributions don't amount to a hill of beans so I can just
keep doing what I used to do. I'll ignore the fact that if everyone
else thinks the same way I do, we will all be ****ed in the end." I
bet you complained about how crowded it was compared to how it used
to be too......
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:48 PM
Willi

Warren wrote:

wrote...

[...]

I agree with your well stated position, but I don't know if you should
be laying it on Larry. The way I see it, is that he cares about the
resource because he has seen it and experienced it at its best and
because of that, wants to see it that way again. Nothing wrong with that
IMO.

Willi

Old January 4th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Warren

wrote...
Warren you should be a little more compasionate to L or someone will **** on
you!!!

That wasn't very compassionate......Willi, pass me a tissue. *sniff
sniff*

only a true PRICK would degrade the mother earth that born your ass...

LOL!

let along degrade someone who is trying to improve your world.

Methinks your reading comprehension may be somewhat lacking. Why not
it. Okay, I'll just throw you a clue in case you are fresh out. I
never disagreed with Larry on working towards improving fisheries and
was merely pointing out that we all play a role in the fisheries we
use. The impacts from our own use should be examined and weighed
when there are problems with our fisheries. This is something that
has not always been done in the past and something that we all need
to think about IMO. This could be in the form of thinking of what
our impact will be on the fish as water temps start to rise, fishing
during flows that are stressful to the fish, overcrowding issues,
over fishing, etc.

Or is it your contention that fisherman do not have an impact and
play absolutely no role in any degradation to our fisheries?

Thank you for your intelligent and extremely valuable comments. May
you have a wonderful day!
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:00 AM
TroutHunter

Sorry Warren
I just believe if you TAKE something from this earth you should Give
something back...
For Extinction is an unusual form of death
death is one thing , an end to Birth is something else...
Yes I do believe man has an impact on the earth that we live and thats why I
lobby congress and senators to consider your actions ,to clean up the mess
that everyone leaves behind
and provide moneys to hatcherys to produce the very fish that you catch ,
And to stop things like EXAMPLE:
We were fishing on a creek and waded mybe 2-3 miles upstream when I looked
over
at the bank and about ten foot out into the water was a pvc pole sticking up
thinking what is this I waded over
and found a phone box like on the outside of your house on it !
Later I found out some dumb ass doctor had it installed so he could be in
touch. they treached 2-3 miles from road.
He soon found out there are other people did not like it. And after several
maintence charges to repair it.
removed.And yes we all are guilty of abuse of Nature and other people. But
all I ask is GIVE SOMETHING BACK
and take nothing in return for once.
even if you can stop by and Thank the Ranger doing his job and or anyone
trying to help your fishing rights.

Old January 4th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Wolfgang

"TroutHunter" wrote in message

message lost in translation

Please repost.......in English.

Thank you.

Wolfgang

Old January 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Willi

Warren wrote:

Methinks your reading comprehension may be somewhat lacking. Why not
it. Okay, I'll just throw you a clue in case you are fresh out. I
never disagreed with Larry on working towards improving fisheries and
was merely pointing out that we all play a role in the fisheries we
use. The impacts from our own use should be examined and weighed
when there are problems with our fisheries. This is something that
has not always been done in the past and something that we all need
to think about IMO. This could be in the form of thinking of what
our impact will be on the fish as water temps start to rise, fishing
during flows that are stressful to the fish, overcrowding issues,
over fishing, etc.

The over crowding thing is tough for me to be consistent about.
Personally I'm in favor of rules limiting the number of fishermen on
over crowded waters. Although I usually fish less known places, I will
fish some of the famous waters where I sincerely believe over fishing
has some significant impact. Hypocritical, I guess.

Willi