How to dry Abalone?

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
[email protected]

Default How to dry Abalone?

On Thursday, November 23, 1995 10:00:00 AM UTC+2, rYan RickeTTs wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know the secret to drying abalone? I've tried a number
of things. I've boiled, I've pounded, I've sliced, I've salted,
and placed in the oven at very low heat overnight. But no matter what I
do, it comes out hard. Not pliable. I remember as a child in Hawaii
being able to purchase dried abalone and being able chew and eat as a
snack. Any experts on the subject out there? Thanks in advance.

Dave Ricketts

Hi Dave,
the reason for your strugglign is that what they sell in Hawaii is not infact dried abalone it is semi dried abalone I am not going to type out the whole method involved but there are several texts that do outline it, exact methods are more difficult to find, infact I am currently trying to perfect a wind drying technique, but for what you need the most important things are brine concentrations length of boiling and time drying fiddle with those a little till you get the result you looking for then stick the recipe to your fridge and pass it down the generations, every fisherman has there tricks a site that might help you is http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...lone&f=fal se sorry bout the long url but its straight from the google book so you won't have to pay for it.
hope you get the results you looking for

Regards,

James