Summer fishing get-together?

Old May 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

Default Summer fishing get-together?

On May 19, 10:46*am, Wayne Knight wrote:

six hours from the

Sorry, there's some silent syllables in there, That would be the Smoky
Mtn National Park.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wayne Knight wrote:

Sorry to respond late, I just got back from five days in the Smoky
Mtns, a trip I dearly needed for sanity's sake.

Yah, rub it in, why don't you? I shoulda been there too.

So details, man ... we want details ... make me totally miserable. :-)

SO did the weather pan out OK? The only saving grace I could see
about me having to cancel my trip was that the weather looked like it
was going to be pretty bad last week.

Chuck Vance (maybe next year)
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Wayne Knight typed:
On May 19, 10:59 am, "Tim J."
wrote:

Yeah, I'm usually six hours behind myself, as well.

But do you ever catch up to yourself?

Periodically, and the pleasure of meeting me is almost overwhelming.
--
TL,
Tim

Old May 20th, 2008, 09:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On May 19, 10:46*pm, Wayne Knight wrote:
On May 15, 2:21*am, riverman wrote:

My schedule is this:
Arrive in Maine on July 3.
Drive to IND, in time for a conference from July 8-12
Drive IND-DC on July 13
Return to Maine for the rest of the summer
Fly back to HK on Aug 8.

And are there any fishing opps in or around Indianapolis?

Sorry to respond late, I just got back from five days in the Smoky
Mtns, a trip I dearly needed for sanity's sake. As Mr. Reid hinted, I
live in Indianapolis and would enjoy getting together while you're
here. You can use my house if you need to also.

There is a tailwater a little over an hour east of Indianapolis
towards the Ohio border plus the Mad River is 2½ - 3 hours away from
Indy and about an hour from John's Driveway. Plus we have some small
mouth water that's decent enough between me and Kenny and the White
River he mentions. I am six hours from the banks of the Ausable and
six hours from the

Wayne

Hey Wayne:
Sounds good. I have accommodation all lined up, but I'll be done my
seminar each day by late afternoon, and I'm always up for a beer or a
evening trip to cast some flies somewhere. I'll have a rentacar with
me, so I'm mobile. Maybe we can get a group of folks together later in
the week.

Send me your contact info in Indy, and I'll get in touch before I
arrive.

--riverman
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On May 19, 11:46*am, Conan The Librarian wrote:

* * So details, man ... we want details ... make me totally miserable. *:-)

* * SO did the weather pan out OK? *The only saving grace I could see
about me having to cancel my trip was that the weather looked like it
was going to be pretty bad last week.

Not so much to report. The weather was wet until Late Sat morning when
the sun came out finally. I would think it would have been none too
pleasant even in a good tent. No real downpours or much thunder but a
constant steady rain and it got cool at times too. Especially on
Friday when I walked up high and there was a cloud/mist line I walked
into, brrrrr. Then after pulling the fleece and raincoat out of the
day pack and fishing what should have been brookie water, I caught
several rainbows and only one brookie.

Correspondingly the fishing got better Sat afternoon too. Until then
it was tough going, even in the brookie waters though some fish were
caught every day. Fished Parson's, Abrahams, a couple of Prongs of the
Little River, and a few other esoteric creeks just trying to find
something happening.

See ya next year I hope.

Old May 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On May 20, 4:21*am, riverman wrote:

Send me your contact info in Indy, and I'll get in touch before I
arrive.

Sent
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Wayne Knight wrote:

Not so much to report. The weather was wet until Late Sat morning when
the sun came out finally. I would think it would have been none too
pleasant even in a good tent. No real downpours or much thunder but a
constant steady rain and it got cool at times too. Especially on
Friday when I walked up high and there was a cloud/mist line I walked
into, brrrrr. Then after pulling the fleece and raincoat out of the
day pack and fishing what should have been brookie water, I caught
several rainbows and only one brookie.

I was reading another forum about fishing in that area, and someone
else reported a similar experience (finding rainbows up higher than
expected). I wonder if that's the result of the low water of last year
(fish moving up high).

I think I could have survived the weather OK. My camping setup is
pretty much waterproof (right, Wolf and Jeffie?), but it could have
gotten old after the first 3 or 4 days.

Correspondingly the fishing got better Sat afternoon too. Until then
it was tough going, even in the brookie waters though some fish were
caught every day. Fished Parson's, Abrahams, a couple of Prongs of the
Little River, and a few other esoteric creeks just trying to find
something happening.

What, no Hazel? :-) Sounds like fun anyway. Even with bad
weather, I really missed the trip.

Besides the Little and maybe Bradley Fork on the NC side, I had
planned to spend some time on Lynn Camp, as I really fell in love with
that stream last year (my first GSMNP brookies were caught there), and
they are going to be shutting it down as a restoration project after a
"fish out" later this year.

And of course, if last year was any indication, I could have counted
on catching the biggest fish of the trip right within sight of my tent
in Elkmont. On a Pass Lake. :-)

See ya next year I hope.

I hope so, too. I already have it penciled in on my schedule. Two
weekends before Memorial Day.

Chuck Vance (though I'm tempted to try to fit a fall trip in
sometime)