Alaska idea?

Old February 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Alaska idea?

Hey Guys;
I'm thinking of doing some camping/fishing in the great northlands
this summer, but of course I like to move around as I visit places.

Back in college in Flagstaff, there was always a glut of rental cars
that ended up in Flag as tourists would drive there from LA, leave
their car, and fly home. As a result, you could usually negotiate a
great rate on a one-way rental to bring a car back to certain
destinations....LA for example, as it saved the company to price of
sending a car carrier to retrieve cars, and generated revenue. (In
truth, I used to even get paid to drive cars back to Phoenix and LA)

I was wondering if the same thing existed in Alaska...specifically if
people tended to rent RVs or vans in the lower 48, drive them to
Anchorage and fly home, leaving a glut of vehicles that needed to be
shuttled back south. If so, I was hoping to do a one-way rental and
bring one south for a good rate...a much more preferred travel option
than either having to pay a premium for a one-way rental, or having to
do a loop trip in my limitied available time.

Anyone know anything about this?
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

On Feb 11, 7:33*pm, riverman wrote:

Anyone know anything about this?

I am by no means an expert, but having been there my impressions
(could very well be wrong) a

As far as car rentals go, I'd bet the vast majority are rented in
Anchorage and returned there, since there is essentially nowhere else
to drive to and then fly out of (for the average tourist budget).

I have no idea about RVs but there's probably great fishing in BC.

There really are not that many roads in Alaska, relatively speaking.
Driving is not the optimal way to do fishing in Alaska. Oh you'll find
plenty but it won't be the sort of "wild Alaska" fishing you see on
films. Float plane, float trip, and power boat are how they get to the
rest of Alaska.

I have friends who did a "rental car" fishing trip in Alaska, but only
on Kodiak island. They just used the car to get around the island to
various fishing spots, and had quite a good time.

Jon.
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-02-12 09:35:08 -0500, Jonathan Cook said:

[...]

Jon has it right, I believe. However, there may be an RV or two that
have been brought up from the States (Seatle area) that would need to
be returned. Is there much of a market for that? I don't know. Your
best bet would be to check with the rental places in Seatle area,
including Vancouver, and see if your idea has merit.

Regardless, fishing in Alaska is as Jon says. Anything you could reach
via RV would be very crowded, touristy, and probably with lots of kids.
Off the beaten track in Alaska is where to go and that requires a bush
flight or two. If you are going thru the trouble of going there to
**fly fish**, the quality stuff is in the bush away from roads, RVs,
kids, and pets. Just my o.

Old February 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Feb 11, 6:33*pm, riverman wrote:
[...]

In general the traditional flyin/floatdown Alaska trips I am sure are
the way to go, IF you have the time, If you are in shape and not
creaky, If you ONLY want to fish etc.. And yes there are combat
fishing venues. Alaska is big and people are few.

So in general what Jon and Dave say holds. However. . . . there are
at least a couple of roadtrip options that take you to real Alaska
towns, with very interesting people, cafes, bars, motels and . . .
fish. The roadtrip place to go is the Kenai Peninsula South of
Anchorage. Its got a road net, great little towns, etc, and salt and
fresh waters to fish. Its beautiful, fun, accessible and affordable.

Another way to go is up to Haines via ferry (or float) then over to
Whitehorse and the Yukon, OR up thru Haines Junction and over to the
Bristol Bay country. Alaska is super big and a road trip is a good way
to get your feet wet for subsequent trips maybe of a more wilderness
nature. I am not looking at a map, so may be off on the detail but you
can see where the main roads go.

Another way to go is to fly in, or ferry into one of the SE towns, too
small for the cruise ships (AVOID TILL REALLY CREAKY) like Petersburg,
and hookup with the local guides (after some research and phone/net
talks). And then there is Sitka, Native and Rusky, my overall fave for
Alaska towns.

Over the years I combined Alaska consulting work, and limited fishing
time and a rental car in Alaska for some great times and met some
wonderful people. Take your insect prep seriously or you will die.

Stay away from Palin country North of Anchorage. The normal hypocrisy
factor (Most Alaskans are at least somewhat conservative or
libertarian, whose political bull**** bald-face ignores how much they
suck at the Federal and oil company tit.) Never mind, they are
friendly interesting people. However, Up Palin way that humorous
contradiction is mixed in a lethal brew with radical messianic and
uncharacteristically intolerant in-your face religion. Avoid it if you
can.

Old February 13th, 2010, 12:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jonathan Cook

On Feb 12, 12:01*pm, DaveS wrote:

fish. The roadtrip place to go is the Kenai Peninsula South of

We drove Kenai, Homer, Seward, and even over to Valdez. One thing to
watch for is that the regulations are tortuous, and dynamic. Waters
that look good on the map are closed at various times, and despite
your best planning may become closed without much notice.

That said, our trip was not centered around fishing so I didn't spend
much time looking into it, or trying to plan the correct time to be
there for fishing.

Jon.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill McKee

"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 12:01 pm, DaveS wrote:

fish. The roadtrip place to go is the Kenai Peninsula South of

We drove Kenai, Homer, Seward, and even over to Valdez. One thing to
watch for is that the regulations are tortuous, and dynamic. Waters
that look good on the map are closed at various times, and despite
your best planning may become closed without much notice.

That said, our trip was not centered around fishing so I didn't spend
much time looking into it, or trying to plan the correct time to be
there for fishing.

Jon.

We ran into that in both Canada and Alaska. There are lots of good places
to fish near roads. Or a place where you can hire a guide for the day and
stay in a cheaper motel etc. We drove to AK 4 years ago from Calif. Truck
camper. Which is a good option. You can rent 4x4 trucks with campers in
AK. But lots of waters were closed when we were there in July. Kenai
Peninsula is a good option. Wife's favorite part of trip was a fly out of
Kenai area to Wolverine Creek. And fishing with bears. You are in a boat,
fishing for Sockeye, so is mostly a snag with fly fishery. Plus we hired a
boat in Homer and heavy gear for Halibut. Fly gear may require a 60 wt.

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
family-outdoors

On Feb 12, 12:01 pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Look at areas in and around the Copper River Valley for road system
fishing. The Gulkana, Klutina, and Tonsina are nice rivers. Know, in
addition to regs, the run times of various salmon species if
interested in that. Also, the Klutina has several good guide services
at reasonable cost. The towns where you'd look up info would be
Copper Center and/or Glennallen. There is a "road" that runs up the
Klutina, but the water is TREACHEROUS for someone unfamiliar and
getting guide one day is a pretty good option. The Gulkana is far
more viable for a DIY deal. Also, look at the Denali Highway area.
It runs between Paxson and Cantwell (a good gravel road) and has some
nice grayling opportunities as well as the trout salmon options. The
area I have fished the most up there (on Denali Highway) is the
Tangles Lakes area, but there are others as well. The Tonsina is a
nice stream but like the Klutina, probably not floatable for someone
unfamiliar. Also, access is a bit harder to come by.

If you have specific questions send me an email.
Paul