The life of a Pass Lake

Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Conan The Librarian

Default The life of a Pass Lake

Several years ago Wolfgang drove down to meet Jeff M. and myself at
the Elkmont campground in the Smokies to hike and fish a while. The
evening he rolled in he gave me a Pass Lake to fish, and I caught the
best fish of my trip on that fly.

When I got back home I tied a bunch of them and tried them in
various situations with nominal success. All the while I kept
Wolfgang's fly in my box. It made trips with me to Canada, where it
caught fish. It went back to the Smokies, where it caught fish
again. It made trips to Mexico, where it never made it out of my
flybox.

The day before yesterday, I tied it to my leader on a little stream
called Lynx Creek in Alberta, Canada. The water was much too high for
dry fly fishing, as due to a much higher than normal snowpack plus a
rainy and cold spring, runoff was still in progress.

Yet I wanted to cast the fly, because it had been effective
wherever I had tried it, and it is amazingly easy to track, even in
very high flows. I found a perfect looking spot; below a logjam which
slowed the current slightly and created a nice little seam where I
figured I'd have a chance to tempt a fish.

Shaking off the rust of almost a year without flyfishing, I
eventually got the fly where I wanted it and got a couple of decent
drifts. In my effort to get the fly a little closer to the other
bank, I got careless on my backcast, and my Pass Lake got hopelessly
lodged in the boughs of a pine tree.

So, the fly has found a new home. To reach her, go to the
Crowsnest Pass, take the Adanac road in E. Hillcrest, take a right on
Lynx Creek Road and continue for about 2 miles until you pass the big
horseshoe. Look to your left for the big logjam, and hike down to the
rock ledge just below. She's in the 60' pine just to your left. Wish
her well for me.

Chuck Vance (so no, this wasn't a story about catching fish,
sorry)
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 6/22/2011 5:18 PM, Conan The Librarian wrote:

Chuck Vance (so no, this wasn't a story about catching fish,
sorry)

and yet...it really was about that very thing.

jeff (who has seen the magic done by a pass lake)
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"Conan The Librarian" wrote
(snip great little anecdote)

Wish
her well for me.

Chuck Vance (so no, this wasn't a story about catching fish,
sorry)

no, it was a story about friendship and wonder. but you knew that.

yfitons
wayno(don't be such a damned stranger, chuck)

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 23, 9:37*am, "Wayne Harrison" wrote:
"Conan The Librarian" wrote
(snip great little anecdote)

Wish

her well for me.

* * *Chuck Vance (so no, this wasn't a story about catching fish,
sorry)

no, it was a story about friendship and wonder. *but you knew that. *

yfitons

Friendship and wonder. Two of the great forces for good in a world
which sometimes appears (at least to the casual observer) to be
entirely bereft.

I've extolled the virtues of the Pass Lake for a long time here. I
confess that I had, heretofore, entirely overlooked the symbolic
possibilities. It's a versatile little fukker!

wayno(don't be such a damned stranger, chuck)

ditto.

giles
Old June 27th, 2011, 05:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
georgecleveland

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:18:17 -0700 (PDT), Conan The Librarian
wrote:

So, the fly has found a new home. To reach her, go to the
Crowsnest Pass, take the Adanac road in E. Hillcrest, take a right on
Lynx Creek Road and continue for about 2 miles until you pass the big
horseshoe. Look to your left for the big logjam, and hike down to the
rock ledge just below. She's in the 60' pine just to your left. Wish
her well for me.

Chuck Vance (so no, this wasn't a story about catching fish,
sorry)

She has lots of company. Every other alder and willow along the 25
miles of the Prairie River has one of my PL's embedded somewhere in
its branches.

Nice atmospheric piece. Good read.

Geo. C.