Fluke

Old April 14th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Gordon MacPherson

Default Fluke

Hi,
Farmoor Tues evening - cold, moderate wind, few buzzers coming off but
no action (some being taken on Boobies). Fishing the usual buzzers on a
long leader with a strike indicator - fish rose at the indicator. I made
a kind of involuntary strike and hooked up with something. Saw it was
on the top dropper but was very strong - I guessed I had foul hooked it.
Played it very gently because of this but as it came closer could see
that A. it was hooked in the mouth, B. it was a decent fish (2lb 12oz).
Eventually landed it - hooked throught the lower jaw very firmly - it
must have taken a buzzer moving at 30 mph. So much for deception. No
more takes. Stomach full of daphnia. I guess it was over wintered - they
do not usually stock at this weight.
Lessons to be learned??

Gordon

Old April 14th, 2005, 02:04 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Gordon MacPherson
writes
Hi,
Farmoor Tues evening - cold, moderate wind, few buzzers coming off but
no action (some being taken on Boobies). Fishing the usual buzzers on a
long leader with a strike indicator - fish rose at the indicator. I
made a kind of involuntary strike and hooked up with something. Saw it
was on the top dropper but was very strong - I guessed I had foul
hooked it. Played it very gently because of this but as it came closer
could see that A. it was hooked in the mouth, B. it was a decent fish
(2lb 12oz). Eventually landed it - hooked throught the lower jaw very
firmly - it must have taken a buzzer moving at 30 mph. So much for
deception. No more takes. Stomach full of daphnia. I guess it was over
wintered - they do not usually stock at this weight.
Lessons to be learned??

Gordon

Rainbows can move VERY quickly :-)

I once took a 4.5 lbs Rainbow on a # 14 Black Gnat while very rapidly
retrieving a line to recast. I wasn't technically fishing - just trying
out a rod/line combo for a pal and casting was the intention. my
retrieve was much faster than even stripping. The Rainbow hit the fly
very hard.

We noticed that the fish were well fed and full of "porridge" and
weren't actually taking anything. From then on we just stripped our
flies and started having takes.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk