LADYBOWER

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:02 PM
james.willsden

Default LADYBOWER

Hi
Had a day out yesterday at Ladybower - in my ignorance thought it it would
be isolated / quiet. Right next door to the A57 - choked with traffic +
parked picknickers + kids. Spoke to a few anglers who suggested why waste my
time - some fished regularly - it appeared that to actually catch something
was a rarity. Apparently the stocking leaves a lot to be desired and the
resident(?) browns are very few and far between. 4 hours of wasted time and
petrol - roll on 15th June for some proper fishing.
Regards
Mike

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Derek

"james.willsden" wrote in message
Hi
Had a day out yesterday at Ladybower - in my ignorance thought it it would
be isolated / quiet. Right next door to the A57 - choked with traffic +
parked picknickers + kids. Spoke to a few anglers who suggested why waste

my
time - some fished regularly - it appeared that to actually catch

something
was a rarity. Apparently the stocking leaves a lot to be desired and the
resident(?) browns are very few and far between. 4 hours of wasted time

and
petrol - roll on 15th June for some proper fishing.
Regards
Mike

It must have changed a lot in recent years, whereabouts were these regulars
fishing ? bear in mind its been a few years but....at certain times the
knowledgeable tend to congregate close to the fishery office where there is
a feeder stream (often submerged hence invisible) off the rearing tanks
providing free food for the fish, there are generally patrolling fish along
the farside bank close to the Ashop Clough inlet access is easy if you have
the key to the gate and if you prefer the boat there are usually rising fish
downwind of the cages and close to the out falls-
anybody else got more up to date info?
Oh one more thing if you live Manchester side Walkerwood is fishing well at
the moment so you can miss out on the Glossop crawl
Derek

Old May 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Tarby777

Derek,

Thanks for the info on Walkerwood. I'm in Romiley, so it's handy for
me. Any tips on how best to approach a session there? Do they have any
boats?

Changing tack a little, do you know whether Arnfield is still open for
business? I seem to remember them shutting down during the F&M
outbreak, and they don't answer the phone number that I have for them.
I hope it's still going... had some fantastic days there.

TIA
Nick

Old May 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Derek

"Tarby777" wrote in message
oups.com...
Derek,

Thanks for the info on Walkerwood. I'm in Romiley, so it's handy for
me. Any tips on how best to approach a session there? Do they have any
boats?

Changing tack a little, do you know whether Arnfield is still open for
business? I seem to remember them shutting down during the F&M
outbreak, and they don't answer the phone number that I have for them.
I hope it's still going... had some fantastic days there.

TIA
Nick

Me too Arnfield was a superb water I'm not doing much with the fly
at the moment too busy hurling leads at flounder, according to a pal
(the one who tipped me about Walkerwood) Arnfield should be open
next season its still low due to the maintenance work it was sad that
it was still open after they dropped the levels it really spoiled it for me
fishing in a puddle. Walkerwood hasn't any boats I am aware of, he was
out 2 weeks ago and had a superb session makes me jealous (we didn't
have a bite that week) the hawthorn flies should be about any time so
be sure you have some black flies (b&p spiders do well) sorry I cant
be of more help (we are defrosting squid for tomorrow)
Derek
btw if you go down off the end of the M67 remember there is a speed camera
before the Stalybridge lights it may not be obvious due to the trees

Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Tarby777

Well in the end, I opted for Hawkshead fishery on Esthwaite Water in
the Lake District. Had a fantastic day fly fishing there on Saturday -
only caught two rainbows (and a pike!) but lost a few more, and my
companion had six rainbows and a pike, also on fly. Nearly all 2lb+.
Sport was good from the boat drifting down the boathouse shore, but we
did best walking the banks at the top end, furthest from the boathouse.
Just had to keep an eye on the bull...

It was my first time there and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hardly any
surface activity - it was quite chilly - but plenty of takes. Goldhead
nymphs on a sinker seemed to do best...

Old May 30th, 2005, 09:02 AM
sgelder sgelder is offline
Junior Member

Smile Ladybower

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.willsden
Hi
Had a day out yesterday at Ladybower - in my ignorance thought it it would
be isolated / quiet. Right next door to the A57 - choked with traffic +
parked picknickers + kids. Spoke to a few anglers who suggested why waste my
time - some fished regularly - it appeared that to actually catch something
was a rarity. Apparently the stocking leaves a lot to be desired and the
resident(?) browns are very few and far between. 4 hours of wasted time and
petrol - roll on 15th June for some proper fishing.
Regards
Mike
Hey James

Went to Ladybower yesterday May 29 and found quite\peaceful place on A57, bagged up in just four hours, don't be put of by your first experience. Move further down away from all the rocks and more towards the big curve in the road, careful moving down the banking though. Use orange babydoll early on and change to appetiser or green montana in the afternoon. Go on give it another go you'll enjoy it, that is where I will spend most of my Sundays.
Stu.
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Tarby777

Getting back to Walkerwood... I took Derek's advice and had a 5hr
ticket there yesterday. No exaggeration, it was the best day's fly
fishing I've ever had. 8 nice rainbows - all full-finned - and Lord
alone knows how many I lost. Mostly on a suspender buzzer, it was
literally one or more takes per cast for long periods. I would have
caught more had I known that the bend on the hook snapped off! There I
was, thinking "Why aren't these fish staying hooked?" , then the penny
dropped.

The water levels are *very* low at the moment - it's been partially
drained so they can do some work on the dam wall - but the fishing is
excellent. It's just a little difficult to get around (or get
comfortable) because there's so much jagged rock everywhere. But what a
day!