Can somebody help ?

Old August 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM
PAUL YOUNG

Default Can somebody help ?

I am going on holiday early in September to Shaldon in Devon, I will be
staying on the river front just upstream of the bridge. I will not have any
transport so all my fishing will have to be done with in walking distance of
there. What I am hoping to do is spinning, plugging and maybe flyfishing for
bass and mullet, I would appreciate any information on areas and tides etc.
Thanks in advance
Paul.

Old August 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , PAUL YOUNG
URL:mailto
I am going on holiday early in September to Shaldon in Devon, I will be
staying on the river front just upstream of the bridge. I will not have any
transport so all my fishing will have to be done with in walking distance of
there. What I am hoping to do is spinning, plugging and maybe flyfishing for
bass and mullet, I would appreciate any information on areas and tides etc.

Could be great fishing - it will be very tide dependant though so the first
couple of days you'll need to keep an eye on things and pick up the
patterns. First and last light are always worth a try of course.

There's a big area of flat on the S side in the bridge area, I'd try the run
off channels from that as the tide comes off. There's a good chance that a
prawn or sandeel (or imitation) would be taken.

There are all sorts of fish in the deeper channels - triggers and giltheads
for eg, but you'd need to borrow a dinghy to get at them.

Spinning should work fine along the shore but if you're a purist you might
like to try the oldest British sal****er fly pattern - the Shaldon Shiner.

Here is the dressing as given in:
Angling in salt water, John Bickerdyke, London 1887.

The body, broad silver tinsel put on as thin as possible;
the tail, a small brush of scarlet feathers;*green, blue
and red pigswool at the shoulders; and wings, bright blue feathers,
to which are added half a dozen fibres of goose feather.

Cheerio,