Be careful in the rough water!

Old May 5th, 2004, 03:52 AM
John Kerr

Default Be careful in the rough water!

I just talked to my son, and he was telling me about his last pro
tournament at Lake Mojave. The first day was great fishing, and he was
in eighth place and was excited about the second day, until he got to
the launch site...winds 40 mph, and rollers 6-8 feet. They made the
decision to go ahead with it. John was headed to his spot, really
fighting the waves, when he noticed another boat coming way too fast for
conditions. The next thing he saw was the boat nosing into a huge
roller, and the driver being thrown through the windshield and into the
water. He started looking for the guy, but the waves were so high he
couldn't spot him at first, then he caught sight of him and moved in to
pick him up. They guy was unconscious, face down, John finally got him
in his boat, he was bleeding badly. Then John went back to see how the
AA was doing, he found him in the boat in shock (thank God for kill
switches). John got them both back to the launch site, and they were air
flighted to a hospital. The pro had 3 broken ribs, a punctured lung and
severe facial cuts. The AA was o.k. after receiving local aid. John
decided to go ahead and continue the tournament, but fished close in to
the launch area...still ended up seventh for the tournament (John said
his AA was probably in shock too, didn't really get into the fishing
after all that had happened, I don't blame him!). John told me that a
lot of boats came in with damage....fishing is fun, but there is a time
to use your head! Be careful out there in the weather guys!
JK

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Craig Baugher

Amen! Every tournament we have on St. Clair, Detroit River, Saginaw Bay,
and Lake Erie in bad weather we have a few folks injured and boats severely
damaged. I remember one tournament were a friend came off the water and he
was peeing blood. Another were a friend pulled off the water in his brand
new Champion with a cracked hull and transom. Both times, they were pushing
their boats too hard for the conditions.

I run the shoreline in those conditions and make a 90° cut to my spot to
minimize my open water travel. Motor Trimmed down, 20-30-mph top speed,
Zig/Zagging through the waves. Turning at the crest of the wave. No Macho
Man here, big waves make me nervous, 6-8 footers scare the hell out of me.
I'll be smiling and laughing, but trust me, it is only to cover up my fear!
That is the bad thing about TD's judging conditions from the protected
launch area; they don't see the monster waves. "Looks like 1-2-footers
gentlemen, take it easy." 1-2 footers at shore means, 4,5,6-footers in the
open water. Hell, calm water at the shore means 2-3 footers in the open
water. Am I lying Jerry?

--
Craig Baugher
Be Confident, Focused, but most of all Have FUN!

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Charles Summers

Amen John, and I learned my lesson the hard way as well! Now I usually
always check the weather forecast for wind advisories, and I'm still too
chicken to fish in 20mph winds.

Fishing is fun, but if you gotta battle big waves to do it, you can find
something else to do.

Glad to hear that your son survived and was smart enough to stay close. Good
this too that he was where he was to help out the other guy.

"John Kerr" wrote in message
I just talked to my son, and he was telling me about his last pro
tournament at Lake Mojave. The first day was great fishing, and he was
in eighth place and was excited about the second day, until he got to
the launch site...winds 40 mph, and rollers 6-8 feet.

Snip

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM
alwaysfishking

Nope not for me, I don't like waves that big when I'm at the beach, I'll
just do some online fishing from home.

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Jack Dalzell

(John Kerr) wrote in message ...
.....fishing is fun, but there is a time
to use your head! Be careful out there in the weather guys!
JK

John,
This is great advise. I have seen horrors on Lake Erie, usually
from some hot shot anglers who have never been on the big water and
take it for granted. In the last year I have witnessed 3 anglers
life-flighted off the launch ramp. One from an event very similar to
what your son experienced, another from an AA who became paralyzed
from hitting a big wave at excessive speed and another from a hull
splitting and causing both the pro and AA to enter the water, causing
hypothermia. Rough water is to be respected. This is the exact reason
why I have not offered to have a Lake Erie ROFB tournament. The
weather is too unpredictable and the water can be very dangerous
(Right Steve?).
I have 15 years experience navigating Lake Erie and last year I
got caught up in the tournament hype and it almost cost me because I
didn't use my head. I was really catching them on the Canadian
shoreline the day before the tourny and it wasn't too rough. Where we
launch in the Sandusky Bay makes the run to this spot about 30-35
miles. The first 30 miles were o.k., about 4-6 ft waves which are
common on LE, but after coming out of the lee of Pelee Island, it was
really rockin', easily 8-10 fters, maybe more. I was less than 2 miles
from the honey hole and tried to continue on. After about another
mile, I realised that it was WAY too rough and tried to turn, filling
the boat up to the top with water (this is pretty common up here too).
I new that I needed to get both bilge pumps going and keep the boat
moving. It took over 2 hours to get back to the lee of Pelee Island
and calmer water. I had just wasted over 5 hours of tournament time,
needing another 1 1/2 hours to get back, leaving only 1 1/2 hours to
get on the fish. But the biggest blunder was putting my AA in a very
bad situation. It was the first time I have ever been truely scared on
LE and I regret every minute!
Remember, there will always be another day if you use your head.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM
pat gustafson

Jack Dalzell wrote:

I have 15 years experience navigating Lake Erie and last year I
got caught up in the tournament hype and it almost cost me because I
didn't use my head. I was really catching them on the Canadian
shoreline the day before the tourny and it wasn't too rough. Where we
launch in the Sandusky Bay makes the run to this spot about 30-35
miles. The first 30 miles were o.k., about 4-6 ft waves which are
common on LE, but after coming out of the lee of Pelee Island, it was
really rockin', easily 8-10 fters, maybe more.

I can't even grasp what 8-10 footers would be like in your Skeeter. You,
Jack, are a better man than I.

pat

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Bob La Londe

A friend of mine who fished a recent PRO/AM at Lake Havasu said they sunk
several boats over the weekend. (Not my friedn, but the tournament in
general) Great care is needed when fishing rough water. We don't get it
too bad done hear on the lower river, but I have seen 4-6 footers on Havasu
many times. My dad runs a 22 foot Bayliner with a walk around cuddy cabin
on those waters. Its a decent big water boat, but even with it there are
times he has to cut power to safely navigate the waters. On Lake Powell you
get 4-6 foots almost everyday in the afternoon through out the entire
summer. During a even a mild storm you can get eight to ten foot waves with
really unpredicatable winds.

I imagine those other big canyon lakes like meade and Mohave are subject to
similar conditions.

Personally I have been very concerned about fishing the American Bass
Classic on Lake Meade. Hammer and I will definitely qualify, but I can't
imagine risking a long run up lake and then having to fight our way back to
weigh in during rough water conditions.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Bob La Londe

I have fished for walleye out of Sandusky and Marblehead many times. The
biggest small mouth I ever saw broke off on me just off one of the islands.
Very pretty water, and very dangerous.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"Jack Dalzell" wrote in message
om...

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Jerry Barton

Whatever conditions that forecasted, we add them up. If they're saying 1-2
footers, then that means 3 footers. St. Clair and Erie can kick some butts.

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Bob La Londe

Yup, and Lake Erie can maginify waves due to the shallower water especially
in the western basin. That lake can kill an incautious boater in a moment
of poor judgement.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index