Non Fishing Trip Report

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Big Dale

Default Non Fishing Trip Report

Drove from Dallas to Tahlequah, Ok last Thursday. for the Third Annual
Smallmouth Rendezvous and Fly Tying Extravaganza. It was a beautiful grey day
with mixed sprinkles that only a flyfisherman could enjoy. When I crossed the
Red River I stopped at the tourist information bureau and had the lady map out
a route with all the hills and curves she knew about in that part of the state.
It was fun playing with the hemi in the Dodge truck in the hills and curves. I
noticed a hell of a lot of water being released at the dam Sardis Lake and that
should have been a warning about the potential for fishing during the weekend.
As I rounded one curve I missed a wild turkey with the new truck. Don't have a
grill guard for it so it might be just as well. Made me think of those bumper
stickers I used to see back in the mid 80's WARNING I SPEED UP FOR SMALL
ANIMALS. But this was no small turkey as the beard was about 9 inches long. The
drive up was uneventful and only about 250 miles from my house. Tunes included
some ZZ top, the Flatlanders, and David Allen Coe. I kind of like some of the
lines in David Allen Coe's songs, one of which kind of sounds like me" my long
hair can't cover up my red neck." When I arrived I found the river looked very
high and muddy and it only got worse with more rain.

When I went to check in to the motel the girl said Slim and John told her that
I would not be coming and she was to give them my room and that if I showed up,
I could sleep on the floor in their room. I just yeah right they pull this ****
on me all over the country. I unloaded the truck and set up the tying vise in
the room and drove out to the campground to socialize with about 20 friends and
watch the rain.

We had a great time playing with dead animals for a couple of days. It rained
all weekend. there were 8 members of The Roadkill Roundtable amoung the 50
tyers from Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Tenn.

A good time was had by all and some money was raised for stream improvement and
a grant for one of the college students.

Skip Shorb's truck got stuck in the mud at the campround which looked like
Wookstock after the rain. L.C.'s new Expedition looked good with all that mud
on it and Bob Spangler got to use his new four wheel drive to pull Skip out.

Talked to L.C. on Monday afternoon and he was going to start the sprinkler
under his truck to help with the mud.

As far as I know all the rods stayed in their cases all weekend and we all had
a blast.

We are all looking forward to next year.

Big Dale

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Jeff Miller

a fine fishing tale, and a reminder that it's not always about the
fish...enjoyed riding along.

jeff

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Joe McIntosh

"Big Dale" wrote ...
Drove from Dallas to Tahlequah,
As far as I know all the rods stayed in their cases all weekend and we all

had
a blast.

Indian Joe writes-- good report--your continual optimistic outlook always
inspires.
Re running down turkey- was driving across North Dakota years ago and the
pheasants were flying everywhere. Thinking some of you fly tiers might want
some feathers, I convinced my squaw to sit out on hood of van and catch a
bird as we drove along. She was no Lou Brodeau

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:10 AM
walt winter

Big Dale wrote: ....

sounds like ya had a good 'un bd.....