Posts concerning "Begining" Fisherman

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Christian M. Mericle"

| At the state's Game & Fish website I was able to identify the fish
| here but I don't know what to use to catch them.
|
| New Mexico warm waters have:
| Largemouth bass,
| Smallmouth bass,
| Spotted bass,
| Striped bass,
| Bluegill,
| Carp,
| Channel catfish,
| Crappie,
| Northern pike,
| Walleye.
|
| -- Christian

Largemouth bass,
Smallmouth bass,
Spotted bass,
Striped bass,
---------------- Worms, live lined baitfish and eels, spinners, spoons, plugs

Northern pike,
---------------- live lined baitfish, spinners, spoons, plugs

Walleye
---------------- Leeches, worms, live lined baitfish, spinners, spoons

Crappie,
---------------- Worms, live lined minnows, jigs, meal worms, crickets and other insects
(all with and w/o bobber), Mr. Twister (w/o bobber)

Channel catfish,
---------------- bottom fishing with; Worms, chicken hearts, cheese, dead minnows/baitfish

Bluegill,
---------------- Bobber fishing with; Worms, small live lined minnows, crickets, meal
worms, (no bobber) jigs

Carp,
---------------- bottom fishing with; Worms, bread/dough balls

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old June 25th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Cyli

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:43:13 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
wrote:

(snipped)
[...]

There you go. Get a simple rod and reel setup, practice some casting
in a fairly large empty space (do not use hooks for this. Get a cheap
lure and take the hooks off for practice. The neighbors don't like to
have their pets, children, or themselves hooked). Start simply by
going with your friend out in a boat with a few lures and a few worms
or start on shore. Toss in the line, generally with a bobber on it
(the place you buy it should be able to tell you how to attach it if
it's not obvious to you) and wait to see what happens.

Most fishing, except fly fishing, involves a lot of waiting. Okay,
fast retrieve fishing is active, too. But you'll want to start small.
Don't worry a lot about your casting. Just try it enough to make sure
you won't hook yourself or any partners or passersby. Enjoy your
fishing.

You might want to be prepared for success by looking up Web pages on
how to clean your fish. Figure out before it's on the counter to be
cooked if you want to scale it or skin it. If you want to filet it or
just pick out the bones as you eat. You want to gut it first of all,
so figure out where you're going to put the debris if you do this
before getting home to your garbage disposal (many states and
individual places have rules about this). Taking along a cooler for
beverages is good. This also gives you, if you've brought along
plastic bags, a nice place to put your catch to keep it from spoiling.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Rodney

Christian M. Mericle wrote:
At the state's Game & Fish website I was able to identify the fish
here but I don't know what to use to catch them.

New Mexico warm waters have:
Largemouth bass,

Live minnows, craw fish, and Night crawler worms fished whole

Then thousands of different lures
Smallmouth bass,
Spotted bass,

These two hit what the first one does
Striped bass,

Live minnows and shad or bream where legal, and there are many lures and
jigs that will catch them, top's being buck tail jigs, spoons or Sassy Shads
Bluegill,

Crickets, earth worms, meal worms, wax worms, grass hoppers, very small
minnows (actually anything that will fit in their mouths) many very
small jigs, and flys, and very small spinners
Carp,

Many repaired carp baits can be bought, but I like just a can of
nibblets corn, take half the can and throw out to chum up the carp, then
bait your hooks with a few kernels

Channel catfish,

Minnows (dead or alive), worms, crayfish, chicken livers, and repaired
cat fish baits
Crappie,

Live minnows, and small jigs, best being Road Runners Jigs with a small
blade under the lead head

Northern pike,

Anything that will move, live minnows and active lures

Walleye.

Minnows, leaches, and many minnow style lures

-- Christian

Mojo has a new rig with a lure that will catch all of these, it's called
the SpecTastic Wiggle rig, going on the market tomorrow, the pan fish
rig will catch all these species,, some better than others but all have
been caught on it. Although the lure is very small it still catches
large fish. Nothing will catch bream and bass like it does, it is just
AWESOME, it works even when live bait won't

You can order two of these complete rigs (hooks, lures, weights,
SpecTastic line, and swivels) for $3.00 (they come two to the package)

You can order these by emailing ,, they are not yet
listed on their web site yet.
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Contact me via this email address and we'll discuss this more in depth, OK?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Jeff" wrote in message
A LOT of the posts I see on here are from people who are new to fishing.
Many asking for websites or other instruction or help from the people in
this group. So, I have decided to set up either a Website or Yahoo Group
strictly for beginner fisherman.

Some of the areas I will cover will be:
*Locations and especially bank fishing
*Equipment
*Types of fishing best suited to the beginner
*Tackle
*Weather condition relationships
*Beginner stories (Yours)

Before I do this I would like some opinions and suggestions and if
anyone
would be interested in writing a certain area (ex. someone who is an
equipment expert writing on equipment).

Let me know what you think.

You know what I think? I think it's a great idea and I have just the
outlet for you. I own a website called OutdoorFrontiers.com and I'd love
to have you write articles covering the basics. We get a good amount of
traffic and this would be a great place to hone your writing skills and
educate others in the process.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel unless you REALLY want to.

Contact me via this address.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Hey great Website. But my vision is a little different. My plan is on
building a website "Strictly" for "Beginners". No negotiating through
anything except simple answers to basic beginner fishing. Not really
trying to reinvent the wheel, more like give an access point for someone
who has never or has hardly picked up a rod and reel before. Your site is
without question excellent and I intend to spend some time going through
it and in fact, if you add "Beginner fisherman" pages I would most happily
write some articles. I cannot speak for anyone else but I am sure there
are some expert fisherman here who would as well.

Note: I have been looking over your site and really enjoy Robert
Longshore's writing.

Old June 25th, 2005, 09:27 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Cyli"

| There you go. Get a simple rod and reel setup, practice some casting
| in a fairly large empty space (do not use hooks for this. Get a cheap
| lure and take the hooks off for practice. The neighbors don't like to
| have their pets, children, or themselves hooked). Start simply by
| going with your friend out in a boat with a few lures and a few worms
| or start on shore. Toss in the line, generally with a bobber on it
| (the place you buy it should be able to tell you how to attach it if
| it's not obvious to you) and wait to see what happens.
|
| Most fishing, except fly fishing, involves a lot of waiting. Okay,
| fast retrieve fishing is active, too. But you'll want to start small.
| Don't worry a lot about your casting. Just try it enough to make sure
| you won't hook yourself or any partners or passersby. Enjoy your
| fishing.
|
| You might want to be prepared for success by looking up Web pages on
| how to clean your fish. Figure out before it's on the counter to be
| cooked if you want to scale it or skin it. If you want to filet it or
| just pick out the bones as you eat. You want to gut it first of all,
| so figure out where you're going to put the debris if you do this
| before getting home to your garbage disposal (many states and
| individual places have rules about this). Taking along a cooler for
| beverages is good. This also gives you, if you've brought along
| plastic bags, a nice place to put your catch to keep it from spoiling.
|
| Cyli
| r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
| Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.
|
| http://www.visi.com/~cyli
| email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Daves rant of the wekk....

I surf fish using 2 ~ 3oz, Gator and Krocodile spoons. I cast out and reel in in a process
called "squiding".

rant on

What I hate, really hate, is the beny beach goers who hang around with 20' or so or who walk
along the beach and pass right by me within a few feet. When your casting a 12' rod with a
few feet of leader, line aqnd lure you need a good safety zone around you. Especially when
you are like me and try to cast as far out as possible (I can cast a football field with a
breeze at my back). If someone gets in the way of the treble hook I am going to do some
REAL DAMAGE !

I wisd some of these idiots would realize this. I had a woman with a 2 yr old keep coming
in my safty zone. I want to fish, I don't want to have to wait for peple to pass by or just
"stand there" and having to keep telling children "go over there, I am very dangerous".

rant off

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old June 26th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Cyli

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:27:10 GMT, "David H. Lipman"

From: "Cyli"
| There you go. Get a simple rod and reel setup, practice some casting
| in a fairly large empty space (do not use hooks for this. Get a cheap
| lure and take the hooks off for practice. The neighbors don't like to
| have their pets, children, or themselves hooked).

Daves rant of the wekk....

I surf fish using 2 ~ 3oz, Gator and Krocodile spoons. I cast out and reel in in a process
called "squiding".

rant on

What I hate, really hate, is the beny beach goers who hang around with 20' or so or who walk
along the beach and pass right by me within a few feet. When your casting a 12' rod with a
few feet of leader, line aqnd lure you need a good safety zone around you. Especially when
you are like me and try to cast as far out as possible (I can cast a football field with a
breeze at my back). If someone gets in the way of the treble hook I am going to do some
REAL DAMAGE !

I wisd some of these idiots would realize this. I had a woman with a 2 yr old keep coming
in my safty zone. I want to fish, I don't want to have to wait for peple to pass by or just
"stand there" and having to keep telling children "go over there, I am very dangerous".

rant off

Good rant. And sensible. They'd not walk right in front of someone
taking pictures (most won't), but they just don't think about the
caster. Luckily, I spin cast or flyfish for trout in streams, so at
worst I can use the length of the stream for the backcast. Or, if
people are around, do sidearm casts. And trout fishermen tend to
separate out, except in a few locations. Also, the streams aren't
comfy for most to walk along the way beaches are. But on beaches they
feel that they have a right to be anywhere. So they go anywhere. And
they just aren't aware of the danger. Of those who are, some are
always going to feel that you're the one flinging stuff around, so
you're the one who has to give way. Regardless of whether or not you
were there first. Not nasty people, just clueless.

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Christian M. Mericle

Thanks, all, for the tips. I do okay casting. As I get into better
practice, I'm sure I'll be able to extend my distance. I was familiar
with the different types of bait, I just had no clue what to use for
what fish. This info will make my fishing more productive and fun
(since I'm more likely to land something better than a tangle of
weeds).

Again, thanks!

-- Christian

Save Darfur --