First time on water in a year!

Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:59 AM
Rob Storm

Default First time on water in a year!

Well -- it may not have been quite a year since I've casted a bass bait, but
it's been so long that I was afraid I'd forgotten how. It's deer season here in
Central Texas and I had a little time on my hands Thursday afternoons so I
decided to go hunting. It was a beautiful afternoon -- one of those high
pressure, blue sky days we all love. I had a great couple of hours in the
stand, but no deer. No bucks. No does. Nothing but squirrels and racoons.
I knew if I stayed til dusk I might get a shot, but the idea of dealing with
dead or wounded deer after dark doesn't appeal to me, so I left the stand a few
minutes before the sun went down. On the way back to town I saw my favorite
pond, and I remembered I had some tackle stowed away, so I stopped just for a
minute.

I rummaged around my toolbox and dug up ene of my favorite Zara Spooks and one
of Bob Rickard's prototype spinnerbaits (made back before he started calling
them Secret Weapons.) I'm a top water guy so I tied on the Spook. First cast
I had a miss. Second cast, a solid hit, quick fight and a two-pounder was in
my hand. Second cast, another miss, but I didn't jerk the bait away. I simply
let it sit there a few seconds, then began walking it back in. (Steve H. --
if you're reading this, I used the Walk the Dog technique you showed me when
you were here. If you remember, I've always used a short rod and of wrist
action to get the short jerky motion that makes a Spook so attractive. You
convinced me to use a long rod and you showed me how to move my entire arm so I
can fish all day without getting tired.)

It worked. Tthe spook almost made it to the bank when "Wham!" This strike was
not a miss. In fact there was no way the fish could miss. She did one of
those classic calendar poses where she leaps out of the water and falls, mouth
wide open -- back down on your plug. The strike occurred almost at my feet
and I almost forgot to set the hook I was so surprised. It was quite a fight.
I had to thumb my Curado a few times to turn the fish and keep her out of some
submerged brush. When I got her in I was really amazed at her size. Didn't
have a scale, but my first guess was over seven. Now -- after the heat of the
battle -- I'll settle for six pounds. Any way you look at it, she was a real
beauty.

So I slid her back in the water and made one more cast. And sure enough
another bass hit, this one a foot-long hammer handle. Three bass on four
casts. Can't do much better than that -- right?

I made four more casts to the same water without a strike, then as it almost
got too dark to tie the knot, I put on what I used to call the BobBait. First
cast, another strike that I missed. Now it was so dark I couldn't really see
where to cast, so I forgot about aiming for structure and tossed it into some
open water. Didn't really figure I get anything, but felt so good to simply
stand there, watching the stars come out, feeling the warmish day turn into
cold night.

Then Bam! -- another solid hit right at the bank. Wish I could say this one
was even bigger than the six-pounder of a few minutes before. It would make
the perfect end of the story to have the biggest fish come on the last cast.
But this one was probably a bit over three pounds and it still made a great
finish for a wonderful 10 minutes of fishing.

Don't think I've ever seen black bass bite so readily -- this was almost like
catching white bass on a spawning run. A cold front had moved through the day
before and I didn't really think the bass would be so active. Guess they're
feeding to get ready for the spawn -- which here in Central Texas comes in only
two months.

I've fished this pond many, many times and never have I seen such fast action.
Many day I've fished long and hard from my kayak and caught two or three bass.
Thursday I stood in one spot and caught all those fish. At any rate, my
bass-fishing blood is up and I hope I can stop working so hard and get back to
my once-a-week fishing rhythm.

I've been lurking for the last few months. It's been really good to keep up
with you guys through your posts. I dont have time for all of them, but do try
to read a few every week. I missed the Northwoods Classic but maybe I'll be
able to make one of the other ROFL events.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com
Old November 23rd, 2003, 12:53 PM
Joe Haubenreich

Good to hear from you, Rob. Good post, too.

A pond that I passed by on the way home from work when I lived near Memphis
was a real stress-reliever for me. On several occasions, it reassured me
that I wasn't a total zero after blanking on a tournament, too.... I'd stop
by and more often than not I'd pick up one or two nice bass.

Mark your calendar for April 23-24 and join us on Okeechobee!

Joe

"Rob Storm" wrote in message
Well -- it may not have been quite a year since I've casted a bass bait, but
it's been so long that I was afraid I'd forgotten how.

snip

Old November 23rd, 2003, 04:58 PM
RG

Great story Rob...

And, it reminded me that, when I fished with Steve in Wisconsin, he
suggested that I learn the "whole arm" method of working a topwater. I never
did, and now, after two wrist operations...I feel the need to learn the
process.

Can you or Steve share the lesson again here???

RichG

Old November 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"RG" wrote in message ...
Great story Rob...

And, it reminded me that, when I fished with Steve in Wisconsin, he
suggested that I learn the "whole arm" method of working a topwater. I never
did, and now, after two wrist operations...I feel the need to learn the
process.

Can you or Steve share the lesson again here???

RichG

Let's see if I can describe this. First of all, tuck the rod butt between your arm and your
ribcage. I usually palm the reel when I'm using baitcasting, but that's personal preference, it
will work either way.

Holding the rod out in front of you, almost pointing at the lure, use your entire forearm to pop the
rod down and across your body. It's very simple and takes all the strain off your wrist. You can
use any length of rod when walking the dog using this method.

I'm only 5'9" and I can fish a Zara Spook with an 8' rod. Plus, do you have any idea how far you
can cast a Spook with a 7 or 7 1/2' rod compared to a shortie? :-)
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old November 24th, 2003, 10:02 PM
RG

OK... I tried the "whole arm" method and it looks like it will certainly
save my wrists.

However, it obviously isn't as good at catching fish. I used the old "wrist
only" style earlier today and caught a bass. I took a whole FIVE casts with
your method and NO FISH! Sheeeesh...what kind of advice are you giving
us???

Ho Ho Ho HO

It might also have something to do with the fact that we have a 40 degree
day ( VERY unusual for Houston in November or anytime at all); a blue sky;
a breeze out of the North, and I earlier had hooked the only bass that was
anywhere to be found in my little bay.

Oh well, I'll give your idea another chance on a better fishing day and see
what happens.

Rich
Seriously, Thanks a lot...I'm sure I will use the method often over the next
few months...

Maybe this "method" should be added to the FAQ?????

Old November 25th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Rob Storm

Thanks Joe -- I'm marking it on my calendar.

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Bob La Londe

How about some photos and decriptions on your website of this technique. I
have hopped a popper all daylong on medium action spinning tackle with a 7'
Quantum and a Pflueger Trion. Mostly just my forearm gets tired when using
my wrist to get the pop. I'ld like to see the whoel arm method in action.
I tried a coupel variations of it lat time out, but never coul really get a
good sharp snap using the whole arm.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az