More info on Rapid River

Old October 4th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Dave LaCourse

Default More info on Rapid River

Here is a site I found regarding the development of some of the land on/near
the Rapid River. I believe that greedy Union Power would change the Rapid and
Lower Richardson into another Lake Winnipesaukee. Twelve camps does not sound
like much, but with those 12 comes many folks and kids, and the precedent would
have been set.

http://www.mainerivers.org/river_features/rapid.htm

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:40 AM
daytripper

On 04 Oct 2003 22:04:48 GMT, irate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

Here is a site I found regarding the development of some of the land on/near
the Rapid River. I believe that greedy Union Power would change the Rapid and
Lower Richardson into another Lake Winnipesaukee. Twelve camps does not sound
like much, but with those 12 comes many folks and kids, and the precedent would
have been set.

http://www.mainerivers.org/river_features/rapid.htm

A depressing series of events, between the smallie infestation, and now
threats of development. The only hope is to convince the Pingrees to put
Richardson into the conservation easement...

Side note: for those who haven't seen it before, look at that last picture, of
Middledam in dump mode, with white water all the way down to Harbeck Pool...

/daytripper
Old October 5th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Paul Goodwin

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message
Here is a site I found regarding the development of some of the land

on/near
the Rapid River. I believe that greedy Union Power would change the Rapid

and
Lower Richardson into another Lake Winnipesaukee. Twelve camps does not

sound
like much, but with those 12 comes many folks and kids, and the precedent

would
have been set.

http://www.mainerivers.org/river_features/rapid.htm

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

The Rapid is all but toast.

I've fished the Salmon river (NY) in the peak of the run and saw fewer
people than were at the rapid last week.

Next I suspect the Carry Rd will be two lanes paved with parking lots and
ramps for the bass fishermen.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Paul

Old October 5th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Mike

Dave my friend someone should draft an opposition letter to the LURC and have
as many people sign it as possible ........Maybe one of our asteemed barristars
of the North Clackalakeyans can assist in this endevor they know all the right
words don't ya know......

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Old October 5th, 2003, 06:04 AM
daytripper

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:19:58 -0700, rw
wrote:

Dave LaCourse wrote:
Here is a site I found regarding the development of some of the land on/near
the Rapid River. I believe that greedy Union Power would change the Rapid and
Lower Richardson into another Lake Winnipesaukee. Twelve camps does not sound
like much, but with those 12 comes many folks and kids, and the precedent would
have been set.

Are you in favor of free abortions, suicide, euthanasia, a total end to
all immigration, and capital punishment for anything worse than jaywalking?

splork!

Extreme, much?

I hope this thread lasts long enough to hear the explanation for the above ;-)

Old October 5th, 2003, 01:48 PM
tim_s

"Paul Goodwin" wrote in message ...
[...]

paul - we fished btw LD & long pool sat, and there was quite a few,
but pretty courteous & plenty of water to fish; many cleared out byu
afternoon, afraid of the trek out in the dark??....only had 1 real
incident, and corrected that by catching 5-6 in a row on dries while
he went fishless....damn near made my weekend....of course, the fact
that my bike broke it's chain halfway between MD & LD and i had to
walk it out after dark sort of sucked, but what can you do....

from what i have heard, there has been pretty strong opposition from
many sides on the development; there's some threads in the archives at
www.flyfishinginmaine.com on the subject....

tim
Old October 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Willi

daytripper wrote:
On 04 Oct 2003 22:04:48 GMT, irate (Dave LaCourse) wrote:

Here is a site I found regarding the development of some of the land on/near
the Rapid River. I believe that greedy Union Power would change the Rapid and
Lower Richardson into another Lake Winnipesaukee. Twelve camps does not sound
like much, but with those 12 comes many folks and kids, and the precedent would
have been set.

http://www.mainerivers.org/river_features/rapid.htm

A depressing series of events, between the smallie infestation, and now
threats of development. The only hope is to convince the Pingrees to put
Richardson into the conservation easement...

Side note: for those who haven't seen it before, look at that last picture, of
Middledam in dump mode, with white water all the way down to Harbeck Pool...

Sounds like the Rapid is going to go on a big decline.

I assume that Pingree Forest Partnership is involved in lumber production?

Sounds like they placed conservation easements on many of their
holdings. This strikes me as unusual and is very laudable. Is this
commonly done in the area? Great way to protect land from development
and to provide some breaks for the owners.

Willi

Old October 7th, 2003, 07:29 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 18:37:59 -0600, Willi wrote:

daytripper wrote:
[...]

Laudable, certainly. I can't measure "commonly", but it is occasionally
achieved, with most of the credit going to various conservation groups...

/daytripper ()