Minimum equipment to start tying

Old October 11th, 2003, 02:57 PM
xeon

Default Minimum equipment to start tying

Hi,

Could you recommend me the minimum equipment to start tying flies? I know
that the minimum is "nothing" because I can tie using my hands, but I mean
the minimum to let me start tying easily (I've never done it already)

Thanks

Old October 11th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Stan Gula

"xeon" wrote in message
Hi,

Could you recommend me the minimum equipment to start tying flies? I know
that the minimum is "nothing" because I can tie using my hands, but I mean
the minimum to let me start tying easily (I've never done it already)

Thanks

At minimum:
1. a vise
2. a bobbin (thread holder)
3. really good scissors (don't skimp on the scissors)

Everything else is not really minimal, but can help a lot. Dubbing needles,
dubbing spinners, hackle pliers, whip finish or half hitch tool, wing
burners, lots of extra bobbins (I have at least a dozen with standard
threads, flosses and wires ready to use), etc.

Old October 12th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Flyguy

"xeon" wrote in message
Hi,

Could you recommend me the minimum equipment to start tying flies? I know
that the minimum is "nothing" because I can tie using my hands, but I mean
the minimum to let me start tying easily (I've never done it already)

Thanks

Well I started this hobby last year. my original kit I put together myself

for around $100 can
contained a descent vice, bobbin, bodkin, some 10 hooks and supplies to tie
wolly buggers. (I already own a couple pairs of descent scissors) I have
since spent hundreds on books supplies (lots of hooks , hackle and fur),
more tools, a magnifying lamp and portable box and table, and three magazine
subscriptions.

The best investment I ever made.........this is simply the best thing I ever
did for myself,
and "I had never done it already" either!

flyguy

Old October 12th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Sierra fisher

Though not an absolute nuecessity, a bobbin threader will same you some time
for a few bucks. As Flyguy suggested, pick out a fly that you can fish now,
and buy the material for that fly. Eventually you'll be tying dozens of
flies that you can use, and you will have a good start on all of the
materials that you will need. It is not a cheap sport! If it comes from a
fly shop it is expensive. There are alternatives, like craft stores,
Walmart, Cabelas.
"xeon" wrote in message
Hi,

Could you recommend me the minimum equipment to start tying flies? I know
that the minimum is "nothing" because I can tie using my hands, but I mean
the minimum to let me start tying easily (I've never done it already)

Thanks

---

Old October 12th, 2003, 03:33 PM
jeffc

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
Though not an absolute nuecessity, a bobbin threader will same you some

time
for a few bucks.

I trick I learned is to put some slack in the thread and then just literally
suck the thread up through the bobbin tube. After practicing a bit, it's
faster, easier and cheaper than having a bobbin threader.

Old October 12th, 2003, 03:35 PM
jeffc

"Stan Gula" wrote in message

At minimum:
1. a vise
2. a bobbin (thread holder)
3. really good scissors (don't skimp on the scissors)

That's all you need. Some sort of hackle plier comes in very handy if
you're going to turn hackle, and so does a bodkin - for many things. I
guess the tip of scissors could do in a pinch, but sinch you'll be getting
good scissors, you don't want to dull them with extraneous use.

Old October 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Hooked

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
Though not an absolute nuecessity, a bobbin threader will same you some

time
for a few bucks.

I made a cheap bobbin threader by tying a folded piece of wire to the end of
a toothpick.

It works, and I saved how much?

Old October 13th, 2003, 12:15 AM
vincent p. norris

Though not an absolute nuecessity, a bobbin threader will same you some
time
for a few bucks.

I trick I learned is to put some slack in the thread and then just literally
suck the thread up through the bobbin tube. After practicing a bit, it's
faster, easier and cheaper than having a bobbin threader.

Go to a drugstore and buy a little pack of Butler EEZ-THRU Floss
Threaders. Dirt cheap. Or get a pack free form your dentist.

Little pieces of stiff "mono" with a loop on one end. You stick the
single end through your bobbin's tube, put the thread through the
loop, and pull the whole works through the tube.

Nothing could be easier.

vince
Old October 14th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Sierra fisher

IF you used fine piano or guitar wire, not much. If your didn't, you'll
probably be rebuilding it shortly

Old October 14th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Hooked

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
IF you used fine piano or guitar wire, not much. If your didn't, you'll
probably be rebuilding it shortly

I actually used single strand stainless leader wire that I have a few coils
of laying around.