Seasickness Remedies ?

Old July 15th, 2005, 07:12 PM
t h a d

LoboTx wrote:
Thx for the quick response !

We all had a very light (non-greasy) breakfast per suggestions from
more experienced friends.

Hmmm, I gues my traditional pre-offshore T-Bone and egg breakfast at
Waffle House is not recommended.
:-)

I've never had any kind of motion sickness, but I always take Bonine
before I go out because I don't want to risk ruining a trip.

--
Thad
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Tom

I plan on going again in the near future and would like any/all
information in hopes of talking my kids into trying it one more time.

Thanks !

Carry some Dill pickles along and some saltine crackers. Both will
help when you get queasy.
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Bill McKee

Scopace in the tablets work better. And less side affects. Kaiser even
carries them. Also, take soda crackers along for snacking. Sooths the
tummy.

"LoboTx" wrote in message
I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, but I'm a newbie to
this group so bear with me....

I recently took my kids out on a charter from Port Aransas, TX.
Although we were on a decent sized boat (36 ft), the water was pretty
rough and my daughter got very, very seasick even after taking some
OTC Dramamine Plus. She toughed it out for awhile because we started
catching fish (Kings), but the other two started turning green
eventually and I had no choice but returning them to shore.
Incidentally, these "kids" are all in their early 20's and I don't
think it was a mental thing.

My questions a
- Is there a better drug for this ailment ? I've heard
Scopolamine patches work better. Any first hand experience out there ?

- How long does this illness generally persist ? Once on shore
my daughter recovered quickly. I assume the lack of motion did the
trick, but would she have adjusted and felt better after a few more
hours on the boat ?

- I had a choice of a new Bertram 35 footer, a 1986 Chris
Craft Commander - 31 footer, and the boat I chose, which was an old
restored Navy work-craft (type unknown). I chose the latter based on
the captain's reputation for catching fish and the price was slightly
less. I wonder if this choice made a difference ?

Old July 17th, 2005, 08:27 PM
PAt D PAt D is offline
Junior Member

[quote=Sarge
I purchased a prescription patches for my kids on their first cruise. They
worked fine. The last cruise, we went on my 18 year old daughter got a real
bad case of seas sickness in the middle of the cruise. She went down to the
courtesy desk and the ship doctor gave her a pill. 15 minutes later it was
gone. The waiter at our table told her to go down there beacuse they keep
them available for the crew. Not sure what they gave her but it worked real
well.

Sarge[/QUOTE]
I have had to deal with always being the first one to get sea-sick many times until, on a Carribean cruise (a couple of days behind a hurricane), I got sick on the 3rd day and spent the whole day in bed, not able to pick my head up off the pillow without the room spinning. Never threw up though.
The ships doctor gave me Relafin...a prescription drug sometimes used for chemo-therapy recipients...and it was like magic!!!!
Within 15 minutes it was as if they had docked the ship and it had the same result with ALL who took it on the cruise.
I took 1 every 8 hours for the next 5 days without a hint of nasea and had a great time eating and drinking whatever I chose to.
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Peter Aitken

"LoboTx" wrote in message
I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, but I'm a newbie to
this group so bear with me....

I recently took my kids out on a charter from Port Aransas, TX.
Although we were on a decent sized boat (36 ft), the water was pretty
rough and my daughter got very, very seasick even after taking some
OTC Dramamine Plus. She toughed it out for awhile because we started
catching fish (Kings), but the other two started turning green
eventually and I had no choice but returning them to shore.
Incidentally, these "kids" are all in their early 20's and I don't
think it was a mental thing.

My questions a

snipped

My wife swears by bonine.

--
Peter Aitken

Old July 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM

bonine is supposedly the same ingredient as dramamine, but with a
formulation
to make it last all day.

Old July 21st, 2005, 01:10 AM
JerryB

bonine is the same ingrediaent as the "new less-drowsy" dramamine.

the original dramamine is something different.

i only point this out because i know that some products work better for some
people and if bonine did not work original dramamine is worht a try.

cheers
jerry
"t h a d" wrote in message
bonine is supposedly the same ingredient as dramamine, but with a
formulation
to make it last all day.

It also doesn't make me drowsy at all.

--
Thad

Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Z Z

TRY TAKING THEM 24HRS BE FOR THE BOAT TRIP WORKS FOR MY KIDS

Old July 24th, 2005, 12:58 AM
David Norris

Hi,

When I had gone out deepsea fishing in
northern California. I had gotten a little queasy
when I first out. I never had used the patch be-
hind the ear or seasick pills. I had used the
wristband on my left wrist and it seem to work
fine.
Also I had always look at the horizon before
the charter boat had reached its spot for fishing.
I always had imagine on how many or the size
of the fish,to take my mind off the rocky of the
boat.

Trouter