Trash Fish Swap Reannouncement

Old July 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

Default Trash Fish Swap Reannouncement

Well, when I first mentioned this swap, the consensus seemed to be that late
June or perhaps early July would be better. Lo and behold, July is upon us.

So the "Taking out the Trash (Fish) Swap" is here.

Basics:

Tie a fly that is meant to target largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, or
northern pike. Mail them to me including return postage. I will sort and
resend. If I can find the link to Joe's instructions from the last GFS
(hint?) I'll post them again. His directions seemed pretty straightforward.

Sign up ends 7/15.

Some suggested a limit of 12 as bass/pike flies can be pretty intricate
undertakings. Sounds reasonable to me.

Mailing date is 8/1. I figure a month to tie a dozen flies seems pretty
fair. Objections?

Sign up in the group or to bassflyswap (at) gmail (dot) com

Dan

Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Since when are bass and pike trash fish? I would take that to mean
carp, bowfin, sucker, fallfish
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rckrego

Don't you put carp in that category! They are beasts, and worthy of
respect.

--
rckrego
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Karel

Sorry... but : No fish is trash - period. Some fisherman might prefer
one species over the other for sport fishing, and that's alright. But
calling that species trash because of "lack of sporting value" to some
individuals is just .... wrong.

Anyway, count me in for the fly swap, since I like to fly fish for any
fish species you can catch on a fly.

Karel

--
Karel

Live long and fly fish
:fish:
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Peter A. Collin

Karel wrote:
Sorry... but : No fish is trash - period. Some fisherman might prefer
one species over the other for sport fishing, and that's alright. But
calling that species trash because of "lack of sporting value" to some
individuals is just .... wrong.

Anyway, count me in for the fly swap, since I like to fly fish for any
fish species you can catch on a fly.

Karel

You remind me of something I learned in my line of work......in logger's
parlance, a "junk tree" is one that has no commercial value and never
will. Of course, this does not take into account the tree's aesthetic
value, nor its possibility of providing food for wild game, seed for
regeneration, or otherwise being one of God's wonders. You have to be
careful of which landowner you call a tree "junk" in front of.

Pete Collin
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jul 2, 9:00 am, "Peter A. Collin"
wrote:
Since when are bass and pike trash fish?

Some people just have no sense of humor.

The "Trash Fish" moniker is a dig at one of my posts when the swap was
first proposed. As an elitist trout snob I said any fish not not a
trout, char, or salmon was a trash fish. While I say that somewhat
tongue in cheek, I can fish for a number of warm water fish about
anytime I want (and do 3-5X per week). Trout require me to make an
effort to get where they are, and are generally found in the wild in
some of nature's nicest places.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Wayne Knight" wrote ...
On Jul 2, 9:00 am, "Peter A. Collin"
wrote:
Since when are bass and pike trash fish?

Some people just have no sense of humor.

The "Trash Fish" moniker is a dig at one of my posts when the swap was
first proposed. As an elitist trout snob I said any fish not not a
trout, char, or salmon was a trash fish. While I say that somewhat
tongue in cheek, I can fish for a number of warm water fish about
anytime I want (and do 3-5X per week). Trout require me to make an
effort to get where they are, and are generally found in the wild in
some of nature's nicest places.

So does that mean you're in for the swap?

;-)

Dan
...who's in pretty much the same situation as you are with respect to
relative ease of fishing. Suburban Chicago and all.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

On Jul 2, 3:38 pm, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:

So does that mean you're in for the swap?

;-)

Nice try, but nope.

I spin deer hair about as well as I can design missle guidance
systems. Besides, why waste a feather from a good cape just so some
bucket mouth trash fish can mess it up ?

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Karel" wrote ...

Sorry... but : No fish is trash - period. Some fisherman might prefer
one species over the other for sport fishing, and that's alright. But
calling that species trash because of "lack of sporting value" to some
individuals is just .... wrong.

Anyway, count me in for the fly swap, since I like to fly fish for any
fish species you can catch on a fly.

Karel

--
Karel

Live long and fly fish
:fish:

Sounds good, Karel.

Please send an email to bassflyswap (at) gmail (dot) com so I have your
email.

Dan

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:10:10 -0500, "Daniel-San"
(Rot13) wrote:

[...]

Ah what the hell, my stress level isn't as high as it could be. Put me
down for a dozen Koch's Lamprey, a favorite of the local smallmouth
(although you couldn't tell it from the response to them this
weekend).

George C.