I pulled an Al

Old December 1st, 2004, 02:14 AM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Default I pulled an Al

LORD, forgive me for even asking this, and perhaps waking the sleeping idiot
savant, but where has AL been lately. Kinda' scary and quiet. Maybe he's
working on those back order lures.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I was going through all my rods and could not believe the number of rods I
broke in the last year. I decided to box them and send them back to the
various manufacturers.

Some legitimately should be replaced under warranty for things like bad
guide wrapping or eyelet inserts popping out. Others were broken due to

my
carelessness and a few I just don't know why the broke. With each one I
included an honest description of how they got broken and what was wrong
with them. I also included a check for $10 for return shipping with each
package except for Lamiglass which specifies 14.50 on their website.

Here is what I have so far.

Silstar/Pinnacle. One Rod Sent. The fastest return was from them. I

sent
them a rod I gave my son for his birthday. I set a tool box down on it

when
fishing and broke it. Out of warranty, and definitely not the fault of

the
rod. They sent back a better quality rod than the broken one because the
broken one was no longer in production. No problems, no questions.

St Croix one rod was definitely defective with an insert that had popped
out, and I "found" the tip broken off the other. I think atleast one of
them was less than a year old, but I could not find the receipts. The
arrived the day after the Silstar rod with a note about things I should do
to take better care of my rods.

Quantum. Two rods. Both probably broken from carelessness. No problem.
One was no longer in production so they upgrade to slightly more expensive
rod. I had no receipts included with these rods. These arrived back the
same day as the St Croix rods.

Bass Pro Shops. Returned two identical Bionic Blade IM-8 rods. Both were
defective. One had bad eyelet wrap glue and the eyes were coming off the
other broke mid section when it was picked up with very little use or

abuse
(I don't care for these all that much because they are heavy.) I received
one brand new replacement today, with reason why they only sent one.

Fenwick. Sent two almost new Eagle GT rods along with a receipt for 5

rods.
(I like these for light spinner baits and crank baits.) One was

definitely
defective, and one was stepped on. I haven't yet heard from them. They
received my package on t he 17th.

Lamiglas. Sent one 3 wt rod with receipt, and a check for 14.50.
definitely under warranty damage was questionable. The tip of the rod

broke
off in transit to the ABA classic in November. The rod had seen very

little
use, and I don't think I did anything to damage it. When I took it out of
the rod cover the tip was hanging from the line. I haven't heard from

them
yet. The did cash my check. It hit my account on the 24th. The package
was delivered to them on the 17th.

Pflueger. Sent two rods with no receipt. Both damaged by abuse. No
response.

I would say that Silstar and St Croix both went beyond what they were
obligated to do. I am concerned about Lamiglass and Fenwick. I haven't a
clue what to think about Bass Pro Shops given their normally more than
generous return policy.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old December 1st, 2004, 02:15 AM
Bob La Londe

I did not ask a single one of the manufacturers to replace the rods at no
cost. Just said, let me know what you can do.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. com...
IMHO, products damaged by user accidents or abuse should NEVER be replaced
for "free", and we are kidding ourselves if we pretend they should be. No
business trying to stay alive can just eat the costs involved, meaning

they
are obviously passed on to future customers by raising prices on their
products.

Personally, in almost 60 years of fishing, I have been lucky to never

having
broken a rod through any accidents or abuse (probably because I am careful
by nature), so I therefore resent having to pay for the carelessness of
others. I believe that it is only right that businesses wake up and revert
to the honest policy that "You break it, you buy it," and quit penalizing
the rest of us.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old December 1st, 2004, 02:18 AM
RichG

That's a LOT of rods to have broken, whether be it the manufacturer's fault
or yours.

I'm a messy, hard-on-my-equipment guy, and I fish a couple of times a week.
I've not broken that many rods in ten years. You must have started with a
lot more rods than I do. Wow.....

You are to be applauded for telling the companies the circumstances of the
breakage. I also agree with Bob Rickard about the owner fixing or replacing
his own breakage, though.

I took two rods in today to have eyes replaced. I stepped on one last week
while fishing ( duhhh) and the other rod had a "temporary repair" done last
summer by me. About $10.00 each eye to have them professionally replaced.
Of course, while I was there ( Gander Mountain, in Houston TX) I had to buy
yet another rod!
regards,
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old December 1st, 2004, 02:24 AM
Bob La Londe

"RichG" wrote in message
. com...
That's a LOT of rods to have broken, whether be it the manufacturer's

fault
or yours.

I'm a messy, hard-on-my-equipment guy, and I fish a couple of times a

week.
I've not broken that many rods in ten years. You must have started with a
lot more rods than I do. Wow.....

I have a bunch of rods, and I find myself often having way to many rods ont
he deck or in the prep room at home. Partly its because I am learning what
rods I like best for what application. I also have had a lot of guests in
my boat. I'ld say that the rods broken from abuse were because of having to
many people in the boat.

You are to be applauded for telling the companies the circumstances of the
breakage. I also agree with Bob Rickard about the owner fixing or

replacing
his own breakage, though.

P.S. I didn't ask a single one of the manufacturers to replace a rod at no
cost, but so far every one has.

--

.

Old December 1st, 2004, 02:25 AM
Bob La Londe

I e-mailed BPS customer service, and they said two rods were shipped back to
me. The other should be showing up anyday. I don't know why they wouldn't
have put them both in the same tube.
--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
FWIW: I like the BPS Bionic Blade spinning rods, so I'm curious of why

they
only sent one? Doesn't change my way of thinking, but you didn't tell us
their explaination.

I'm also inclined to agree with Rickard on this. If you know you broke

it...
then you ought to be the one responsible for replacing it. Same goes for

the
manufacturer... if it's defective, then it's only right that they eat the
costs on it and hope that they learn something that can help them build a
better product.

It's nice to know that there are businesses that do take care of their
customers. I've been seeing less and less of that in the past few years.

I can't really remember how many rods that I've broken in my lifetime...

I'd
really hate to think about it.