Bend Over, USA

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Tim J.

Default Bend Over, USA

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:21:42 GMT, Frank Church
wrote:

I just counted 86 alt.politics on my newsserver..

Gee, Frank, I just counted about 400 comp. groups
on *my* server, and these aren't even alt groups, but
that doesn't stop you from posting "geek" messages
here, does it ? And there have to be hundreds of
lonely hearts groups out in usenet land, but you're
still using this forum for your divorce stories, aren't
you ?

Sorry to step on any toes here, but I see the discussion of personal matters
involving the roffian family (as dysfunctional as it is) to be a very different
than a political post. YMMV.
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Wolfgang

wrote:

I just counted 86 alt.politics on my newsserver..

Gee, Frank, I just counted about 400 comp. groups
on *my* server, and these aren't even alt groups, but
that doesn't stop you from posting "geek" messages
here, does it ? And there have to be hundreds of
lonely hearts groups out in usenet land, but you're
still using this forum for your divorce stories, aren't
you ?

Sorry to step on any toes here, but I see the discussion of personal

matters
involving the roffian family (as dysfunctional as it is) to be a

very different
than a political post. YMMV.

Perhaps, but as you note, opinions do vary. Meanwhile, ANY
contribution to a political thread can be seen as a political
statement in its own right.....even one decrying political statements.
Moreover, "...this small vocal core of angry lefties" can hardly be
viewed as apolitical by any reasonable standard.

It can hardly escape the notice of any careful reader that diatribes
against the presence of politics in this forum are almost always
prompted not by the inclusion of politics per se, but rather by the
exposition of the WRONG politics. It is also worth noting that the
vast majority of objections to politics in ROFF come from individuals
whose own participation clearly marks them as what are generally (and
for reasons that are patently ludicrous) known as "conservatives", and
that these objections typically surface when their authors have their
backs to the dialectical wall.

Oh, and this exposition will doubtless sorely tempt a few to label ITS
author as a "liberal". Those individuals should, of course, not be
included in anyone's list of careful readers.

Wolfgang
whose political philosophy has been clearly and unequivocally stated
on a number of occasions.

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Stan Gula

Heavy snippage:

Wolfgang wrote:
Perhaps, but as you note, opinions do vary. Meanwhile, ANY
contribution to a political thread can be seen as a political
statement in its own right.....even one decrying political statements.
Moreover, "...this small vocal core of angry lefties" can hardly be
viewed as apolitical by any reasonable standard.

I'l take political posts over ad hominem attacks and ****ing contests any
day.

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J. wrote:

"Greg Pavlov" wrote:

Frank Church wrote:

I just counted 86 alt.politics on my newsserver..

Gee, Frank, I just counted about 400 comp. groups
on *my* server, ...

Sorry to step on any toes here, ...

I love stompin' on toes and here's how I see it. If you'd talk
about it on a fishin' trip it's fair game to talk about it on roff.
And if Big Dale wants to whine about it and storm out of here in a
snit, well hell, that's fair game too. The cuddly masseuse magnet's
love life ? Fair dinkum. This damn computer sucks ? Fair dinkum.
You leftie, flag-burning, faggot-loving, pinko, commie elitists are
leading our beloved U S of A straight to hell in a handbasket ? If
you'd say it on a fishin' trip, you can say it here.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old December 10th, 2003, 04:59 PM
riverman

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
Heavy snippage:
Wolfgang wrote:
Perhaps, but as you note, opinions do vary. Meanwhile, ANY
contribution to a political thread can be seen as a political
statement in its own right.....even one decrying political statements.
Moreover, "...this small vocal core of angry lefties" can hardly be
viewed as apolitical by any reasonable standard.

I'l take political posts over ad hominem attacks and ****ing contests any
day.

If, for no other reason, that I can delete them without reading them and not
feel like I missed some really ripe personal insults and character attacks
that will make me spew all over my keyboard. You gotta admit (well, maybe
you don't) that those ad homina and ****ing contestium sure bring out the
best in folks. People take political posts way too seriously....like they
really believe there is a solution to things. ****ing contest, otoh, just
get ludicrous.

--riverman
(Meet the new bosss.....same as da old bosssss)

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM
riverman

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
y.com...
Tim J. wrote:

"Greg Pavlov" wrote:

Frank Church wrote:

I just counted 86 alt.politics on my newsserver..

Gee, Frank, I just counted about 400 comp. groups
on *my* server, ...

Sorry to step on any toes here, ...

I love stompin' on toes and here's how I see it. If you'd talk
about it on a fishin' trip it's fair game to talk about it on roff.
And if Big Dale wants to whine about it and storm out of here in a
snit, well hell, that's fair game too. The cuddly masseuse magnet's
love life ? Fair dinkum. This damn computer sucks ? Fair dinkum.
You leftie, flag-burning, faggot-loving, pinko, commie elitists are
leading our beloved U S of A straight to hell in a handbasket ? If
you'd say it on a fishin' trip, you can say it here.

I think we can talk amongst ourselves about almost any topic here because
our interest in fly fishing brought us together, and now we are familar with
each other (and many are personal friends), so any topic is fair game. Just
like on a fishing trip.

But when some total stranger spamming newbie comes in here and starts
soapboxing about something, well, thats when the dolt discovers that the
rules for the locals aren't the rules for the milkman. When a newbie walks
in the door, they better be talking about fishing. And they damn well better
be very tender about how they join in on conversations that are OffT for
them, but OnT for the cardholders.

I have this image of a couple of old buddies having a physical debate in a
bar somewhere, with jostling and name calling and everything. Then some
total stranger joins in with some jostling and name calling and
everything....it gets ugly and someone learns quick.

--riverman

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Wolfgang

Heavy snippage:

Wolfgang wrote:
Perhaps, but as you note, opinions do vary. Meanwhile, ANY
contribution to a political thread can be seen as a political
statement in its own right.....even one decrying political

statements.
Moreover, "...this small vocal core of angry lefties" can hardly

be
viewed as apolitical by any reasonable standard.

I'l take political posts over ad hominem attacks and ****ing

contests any
day.

After some five years of participation in this forum, I am STILL
unclear about just who it is that forces people to read **** that they
don't want to.

Wolfgang

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Charlie Choc

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:55:22 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

well hell, that's fair game too. The cuddly masseuse magnet's
love life ? Fair dinkum. This damn computer sucks ? Fair dinkum.

AFAIK, "fair dinkum" means true or genuine, not "fair game".
--
Charlie...
Old December 10th, 2003, 05:12 PM
riverman

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

After some five years of participation in this forum, I am STILL
unclear about just who it is that forces people to read **** that they
don't want to.

Wolfgang

It's not necessarily the 'reading' as it is the 'posting', and it's obvious.
They read something, then think their own contributing post will somehow
'straighten everyone out', and they can strut off into the digital landscape
with spurs a-jingling, having made everything per-fect-ly clear.

--riverman
(and that's all there is to say about THAT, tyvm.)

Old December 10th, 2003, 05:33 PM
slenon

Stan Gula:
I'l take political posts over ad hominem attacks and ****ing contests any

day.

They can all become boring and predictable. But that's what delete keys are
for. Censorship should remain a personal choice. No matter how much
someone's post may annoy me or offend me, there may remain the chance that
their next may amuse me or even result in a splork.

Having placed myself between the hammer and the anvil here on ROFF, I'd
still not change its lack of controls.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar