Fishing in Galway

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Just Dave

Default Fishing in Galway

Hi all,

looks like I'm off to Galway at the end of the month, just for a week
or so Can anybody tell me about the fishing there? Yes, I know
about Corrib etc, but as far as I know, these may be fished from boat
only? Long story, but I probably wouldn;t have the chance, and so I
am looking for some easy bank fishing for wild brown trout in a
similar setting. If you know what I mean. I've been looking at the
area on the net, but there is so much advertising, it's difficult to
filter.

Thanks for any advice,

cheers

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article ,
Just Dave URL:mailto
Hi all,

looks like I'm off to Galway at the end of the month, just for a week
or so Can anybody tell me about the fishing there? Yes, I know
about Corrib etc, but as far as I know, these may be fished from boat
only? Long story, but I probably wouldn;t have the chance, and so I
am looking for some easy bank fishing for wild brown trout in a
similar setting. If you know what I mean. I've been looking at the
area on the net, but there is so much advertising, it's difficult to
filter.

In general, in the West of Ireland, as long as you're not on either a
recognised salmon water or a stocked (usually ESB) water, you can just fish
as you will. Just wander along 'til you cross a nice trouty looking stream
and get out the rod ... even if you can find a riparian owner they're
usually astonished to be asked. When in doubt ask in the nearest pub.

The loughs can usually be fished from the shore - OK permission wise, but
the access and the footing are likely to be precarious at best.

Enjoy. Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old May 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Just Dave

On May 16, 9:35*pm, Derek Moody wrote:
[...]

Hi Derek - thanks for that - sorry to take so long to get back....

Looks like I will only have a few days there now, but will be hoping
to get some in...

right, back to poring over the maps.....

cheers

Old May 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article ,
Just Dave URL:mailto
Looks like I will only have a few days there now, but will be hoping
to get some in...

right, back to poring over the maps.....

Away from the cities Irish maps leave something to be desired. I've caught
plenty of fish from places that, according to the map, don't exist.

Be sure to take waders - they'll greatly increase your access, especially
along lough shores.

Cheerio,

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey[_2_]

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article
,
Just Dave URL:mailto

.. I've caught
plenty of fish from places that, according to the map, don't exist.

And I've done quite the reverse at Brenig :-(

How's things Derek?

Bill

Old May 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Bill Grey
wrote:

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article
,
Just Dave URL:mailto

. I've caught
plenty of fish from places that, according to the map, don't exist.

And I've done quite the reverse at Brenig :-(

Depends what you mean by 'things' ;-)

8 brownies this morning, took 5, best 1lb 11oz so not -all- bad.

Cheerio,

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey[_2_]

wrote:

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article
,
Just Dave URL:mailto

. I've caught
plenty of fish from places that, according to the map, don't exist.

And I've done quite the reverse at Brenig :-(

Depends what you mean by 'things' ;-)

8 brownies this morning, took 5, best 1lb 11oz so not -all- bad.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/

Well done Derek, sound like you had a god day. The best was a beauty.

Bill