Coarse / Carp Fishing in Scotland.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Big Brownz

Default Coarse / Carp Fishing in Scotland.

Hi Peeps,

I've got the week after the bank holiday booked off.
I fancy driving up to Scotland.
Does anyone know of any decent carp/coarse fisheries, preferably with
campsites and facilities that I should check out ?

Cheerz - Brownz
http://fishing.brownz.org/

Old August 28th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Steve Walker

In message , Baal
writes

Sorry by the lack of respose - I think the environmentalists have hit the NG
hard.

They aren't environmentalists, though they probably think they are,
they're animal rights nuts. Most of the *real* environmentalists I've
met have a very practical view on animals, which includes eating them.

Put it this way; which group has done the most to protect Britain's
aquatic environment: the ACA, or the Animal Liberation Front?

--
Steve Walker

Old August 28th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Big Brownz

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Baal
writes
Sorry by the lack of respose - I think the environmentalists have hit the
NG
hard.

They aren't environmentalists, though they probably think they are,
they're animal rights nuts. Most of the *real* environmentalists I've met
have a very practical view on animals, which includes eating them.
Put it this way; which group has done the most to protect Britain's
aquatic environment: the ACA, or the Animal Liberation Front?
Steve Walker

Cheers Anyway,

Booked myself into http://www.fisheries.co.uk/whitesprings/index.htm
for four days of "away from work and the bird". Would have liked to
have found somewhere in the highlands, but after a frantic google I've
come to the opinion that coarse/carp fishing aint that popular in the
highlands.
I'll post a report to let ya all know how it was next weekend.

Cheerz - Brownz
http://fishing.brownz.org/

Old August 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
In message , Baal
writes

Sorry by the lack of respose - I think the environmentalists have hit the NG
hard.

They aren't environmentalists, though they probably think they are,
they're animal rights nuts. Most of the *real* environmentalists I've

They're not even ARA's most of 'em at any rate. This lot are pure usenet
trolls. I fancy even the AR movement are irritated by their tactics. The
bulk btw comes from just three of them, in fact two, posting under about a
dozen different names, account for nearly two thirds of the traffic.

met have a very practical view on animals, which includes eating them.

Put it this way; which group has done the most to protect Britain's
aquatic environment: the ACA, or the Animal Liberation Front?

Enlightened self-interest wins hands down every time.

OB topic:
Scotland has wonderful game fishing. Coarse fish -are- present but not in
any great numbers. As you're off for a change of scene why not go for a
complete change and try for a few trout or salmon instead then come back to
your home coarse fishing completely refreshed?

Cheerio,

Old August 28th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Steve Walker

In message , Big Brownz
writes

Booked myself into http://www.fisheries.co.uk/whitesprings/index.htm
for four days of "away from work and the bird". Would have liked to
have found somewhere in the highlands, but after a frantic google I've
come to the opinion that coarse/carp fishing aint that popular in the
highlands.

More game fishing, I think. Lots of pike, but not much carp fishing.
There is Loch Ken, which is famous for roach, but it isn't near where
you are going.

History and climate, I'm afraid.

--
Steve Walker

Old August 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Steve Walker

In message , Derek.Moody
writes
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:
In message , Baal
writes

Sorry by the lack of respose - I think the environmentalists have hit the NG
hard.

They aren't environmentalists, though they probably think they are,
they're animal rights nuts. Most of the *real* environmentalists I've

They're not even ARA's most of 'em at any rate. This lot are pure usenet
trolls. I fancy even the AR movement are irritated by their tactics. The
bulk btw comes from just three of them, in fact two, posting under about a
dozen different names, account for nearly two thirds of the traffic.

Sock puppets? Some people should get out more. I assume someone has
complained about the crossposting to the anonymous remailer? Not that
they won't just get another disposable account to post from.

I've just killed crossposts.

Put it this way; which group has done the most to protect Britain's
aquatic environment: the ACA, or the Animal Liberation Front?

Enlightened self-interest wins hands down every time.

Quite. Certainly when it comes to actually doing something positive
rather than whining.

OB topic:
Scotland has wonderful game fishing. Coarse fish -are- present but not in
any great numbers.

Largely to do with being frozen solid during the last ice age; most of
the indigenous species are anadromous (salmon, (sea) trout, stickleback)
or catadromous (eels). Perch and pike are common, though, which is
interesting. There's a paper [1] analysing the re-population of perch in
Europe from glacial refuges by looking at genetic markers. I suspect
that perch and pike probably have lower lethal limits for temperature
than do cyprinids, and so limited populations were able to survive and
repopulate.

As you're off for a change of scene why not go for a
complete change and try for a few trout or salmon instead then come back to
your home coarse fishing completely refreshed?

I keep thinking about getting some fly gear myself, if only so that I
can have some fun catching chub on it!

[1] http://folk.uio.no/avollest/1999%20perch%20phylogen.pdf
--
Steve Walker