how can i catch carp?

Old August 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM
fishin' kid fishin' kid is offline
Junior Member

Default how can i catch carp?

i've been fishing for a couple of years now and never caught a carp (maybe because i wasn't fishing for them) but my uncle is taking me carp fishing soon and he told me i only needed to take a tin of cat food as bait.

my uncle is a very good fisherman and i trust what he says but is there much chance of catching on tinned cat food?

Also can anyone give me some tips on how to catch carp because this is a lake where you cant use ground-bait so i think it could be challenge to catch anything.
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:39 PM
simon

http://www.coarse-fisherman.co.uk/tu...for/carp.shtml

Old August 7th, 2005, 12:49 PM
jason

Simon, I've been fishing for around 50 years and am still waiting for my
double! True I've only been targetting carp for a couple of years, but
there's more to fishing than achieving personal bests. That is not to say I
won't be excited about getting my double, but I still enjoy the fishing.
Just a few observations as a relative newcomer to the mysterious world of
carp fishing:
1. Don't be daunted by all the technology and wonder baits. They're as much
about catching anglers as fish. The simple baits still work, such as maggot,
bread corn.etc.
2. Local knowlege is invaluable. Find out what is catching on your water.
3.Respect the fish and treat them as a valuable commodity.
4. Enjoy your fishing.
wrote in message

Look, see: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/carplinks.html

Old August 7th, 2005, 04:48 PM
fishin' kid fishin' kid is offline
Junior Member

Smile

thanks

that web-site was good and i learnt a lot,
but what other cheap alternative baits could i use because i don't have much confidence in cat food.
__________________
keep catchin'
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Liz

--
fishin' kid

the best bait I've always caught carp on is 14mm halibut pellets just
drilled onto a hair rig,but also the other day I had a double on marine
halibut luncheon meat.
the glenster

Old August 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Richard

"fishin' kid" wrote in message

thanks

that web-site was good and i learnt a lot,
but what other cheap alternative baits could i use because i don't have
much confidence in cat food.

with the emphasis on cheap ..... (some need proper preparation)

peperami, maize, cockles, sweetcorn, pellet, bread, worms, slugs, maggots,
potato, sultana, haricot beans, maples, broad beans, kidney beans, luncheon
meat, tares, hemp, peanuts, tiger nuts and tapioca (and modern fake/plastic
baits work too) ....... that will do for now

Richard

Old August 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Liz

"fishin' kid" wrote in message

i've been fishing for a couple of years now and never caught a carp
(maybe because i wasn't fishing for them) but my uncle is taking me
carp fishing soon and he told me i only needed to take a tin of cat
food as bait.

my uncle is a very good fisherman and i trust what he says but is
there much chance of catching on tinned cat food?

Also can anyone give me some tips on how to catch carp because this is
a lake where you cant use ground-bait so i think it could be challenge
to catch anything.

--
fishin' kid
Firstly I,ve never caught any carp on cat food, maybe because i haven't
tryed it,plus i've never had to use groundbait. just a single 14mm halibut
pellet on a hair rig and a 2oz weight. And the occasional PVA bag with
crushed pellet in it.

hoped this has helped the Glenster
P.S where's your venue he's taking you to and what's it called.

Old August 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM
simon

also..cheap baits..

Dog biscuits.. drilled and hair rigged as a surface bait.
Cheese.

SS

Old August 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Gandalf

Simple works in good old Wiltshire. Try using a controller float, your uncle
will know and tell you what it is and how to use it then use a bit of bread
crust floating on the top on a warm day. Throw in some little bits to get
the carp up on the surface and then lob your bait out and watch it like a
hawk. If is the most exciting way to catch them I think.

Using a simple paternoster SP rig with a bit of bread flake works well for
me as well.

Either way good luck and tight lines.

--
Gandalf

Old August 8th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , fishin' kid
.com wrote:

thanks

that web-site was good and i learnt a lot,
but what other cheap alternative baits could i use because i don't have
much confidence in cat food.

Bread and worms still work fine. You don't need -any- fancy rigs, just tie
a hook to the main line and either drop a worm in front of a feeding fish
and watch ... or float a crust over its head.

Cheerio,