Soft Hackle Flies

Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:09 AM
Big Dale

Default Soft Hackle Flies

Dustin wrote:Big Dale,

If I recall correctly, you are from California correct?

Dustin

Nope. I am still living in the Dallas area.

Big Dale

Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Scott Seidman

"Larry L" wrote in news:ItZdd.733871
:

"Stephen Welsh" wrote

I think they tend to be one fish flys i.e. don't sit in the film after
sliming or several drifts.

yeah, what he said ...

Have you tried Frog's Fanny?

Scott

Old October 22nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Larry L

"Scott Seidman" wrote

Have you tried Frog's Fanny?

yep, love it, the last time I bought some I got three bottles because the
time before that when I went looking all the stores were out .... don't
leave home without it

I also tried tying a bit of foam as a wing, and using a CDC underwing and
WaterShed and duck preen oil and .....

the plain old muskrat and partridge caught fish ... for a fish or two ...
all modifications were less appealing to the fish ...if the fly floats TOO
well, fish wouldn't take it ... has to be IN the film with just a barb or
two of partridge showing

the goal became to find a pattern/ floatant that worked very well, ala M&P,
but didn't require much maintanence Using more time maintaining than
fishing was obviously a problem at last light, surrounded by rising fish,
getting dark quick .... the elegant solution would fish with less hassle
than the M&P but be just as tasty looking to the prey

Old October 22nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
Mike Connor

"Larry L" wrote in message
SNIP
the goal became to find a pattern/ floatant that worked very well, ala

M&P,
but didn't require much maintanence Using more time maintaining than
fishing was obviously a problem at last light, surrounded by rising fish,
getting dark quick .... the elegant solution would fish with less hassle
than the M&P but be just as tasty looking to the prey

Mix deer hair with the muskrat. This will float in the film without any
maintenance at all. One may also simply use deer hair alone. Spin it and
trim it. Such a fly is basically unsinkable, and also floats very low.

TL
MC