Watusi Worms

Old February 12th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Dave LaCourse

Default Watusi Worms ...two photos

Rob S.

That's not a fly. That's a lure. And you could cast that with a spinning

rod
if you had the right rod. It would need to have a light tip section. Would
also help if you use light line.

I agree on this being a lure, but what is your definition of a fly?

I believe most streamers in use today are more properly called lures, are
they not?

All flies are lures. All lures are not flies.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old February 13th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Gene Cottrell

Default Watusi Worms

NJ does define a fly as this:
"Only artificial flies are allowed, which are expressly limited to dry
flies, wet flies, bucktails, nymphs and streamers. Expressly prohibited are
metal, plastic, or wooden lures, plugs, spinners attached or any multiple
hooked device."

If you can call the described lure a dry fly, wet fly, bucktail, nymph or
streamer, then you have a better imagination than I do.

Gene

"Rob S." wrote in message
om...
in NJ, there are only 2 flyfishing only sections of water that
I'm aware of, both on the same river.

The NJ regs specify that it must be flyfishing gear,
and go on to describe the type of reel and line, specifically excluding
fixed spool spinning reels as well as line made up of only monofilament
and related lines, as well as specifying
no bait, scent etc. I do not believe the regs specify the type of lure
or fly in these waters.

So, your twister tail, jig/lure/fly would be perfectly acceptable.

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Hooked

"Gene Cottrell" wrote in message
NJ does define a fly as this:
"Only artificial flies are allowed, which are expressly limited to dry
flies, wet flies, bucktails, nymphs and streamers. Expressly prohibited

are
metal, plastic, or wooden lures, plugs, spinners attached or any multiple
hooked device."

If you can call the described lure a dry fly, wet fly, bucktail, nymph or
streamer, then you have a better imagination than I do.

Gene

Does the State of New Jersey allow the use of poppers as flies? They could
use plastic or wood (balsa) in their construction.

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Hooked

"Stan Gula" wrote in message

snip We were flyfishing on a 'flyfishing-only' lake, and some
local people thought fishing from a float tube was trolling (which is
outside the definition) because we weren't anchored. We *were* 'casting

and
retrieving in the usual manner' which is how flyfishing is defined.

I have done that many times while just drifting along. Even right in front
of the game warden here in WI, and nothing was said because I was casting
and immediately retrieving. Which is how this law is defined here in the
Badger State.

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Hooked

"Rob S." wrote in message
om...

I agree on this being a lure, but what is your definition of a fly?

I believe most streamers in use today are more properly called lures, are

they not?

If I tie some hair and feathers to a hook, it's a fly. If I glue (or tie)
some plastic to a hook, it's a lure.

Your question should have asked about poppers, not streamers. There you have
both feathers and plastic tied (or glued) to a hook.

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Hooked

"Douglas Campbell" wrote in message
news

Where can one buy clear mylar sheeting?

I see no sense in distinguishing between fly fishing only and artificial
lures only if the weight and hooks restrictions are the same.

Doug Campbell

Try a hobby shop.

Maybe a hardware shop.

And maybe even a fly shop.

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Hooked

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of

natural
or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal

fashion
on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Specifically
prohibited is the use of molded facsimiles or replicas of insects,

earthworms,
fish eggs, fish or any invertebrate or vertebrate either singly or in
combination with the other materials. Also prohibited are other lures

commonly
described as spinners, spoons, or plugs made of metals, plastic, wood,

rubber or
like substances or a combination thereof.

I guess if I wanted to fish one of my hot glue eggs, I better tie some
marabou on for imitating the milt.

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Salmo Bytes

Douglas Campbell wrote in message ...
Where can one buy clear mylar sheeting?

You can get mylar sheeting at drafting supplies stores
blueprint shops and/or art supplies stores.
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:53 PM
-- Rob

If you can call the described lure a dry fly, wet fly, bucktail, nymph or
streamer, then you have a better imagination than I do.

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for the correction, but yes, if I was on flyfishing water I would argue
that was a nymph or streamer. And I don't think I'd get written up at all as
long as I was using fly gear.

But that's me...I'm not saying you're wrong

-- Rob