Fishing In southern California(with no LUCK!)

Old April 13th, 2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Fishing In southern California(with no LUCK!)

Seems like I have little sucess fishing in Socal. Iam new to bass
fishing just bought a boat and Iam discusted. The same starategies I
have used in other states like Idaho and Washington have always brought
me my limit crank baits, spinner and drop shoting.... Can anyone help me
the lake i primarily fish is CASTAIC, Any advice will be condisdered.
keep in mind to this lake doesnt have much cover its basically a lake
with several points and shore like are mountains.

Old April 13th, 2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Jason Jones wrote:

Seems like I have little sucess fishing in Socal. Iam new to bass
fishing just bought a boat and Iam discusted. The same starategies I
have used in other states like Idaho and Washington have always brought
me my limit crank baits, spinner and drop shoting.... Can anyone help me
the lake i primarily fish is CASTAIC, Any advice will be condisdered.
keep in mind to this lake doesnt have much cover its basically a lake
with several points and shore like are mountains.

I've been there, and done that

Ok here is some tactics that will kick butt there, first try a Rock
Hopper texas rigged with a creature bait, you want to slowly drag that
creature along the bottom, that Rock Hopper will keep you from snagging
in the rocks, plus it makes your creature stir up a lot of silt, and
walk funny along the bottom, Larry From Mojo, has been catching limits
(well what we call limits here in the south, 10 plus bass a day,
sometimes many more than that, and many HOGS) regular in Southern Cal.
this way.

Another tactic that I have kicked butt with in S. Cal.(even Larry's) is
my Wiggle Rig with a Mojo reefer, or the Zoom Tiny Fluke,, heck no, I'm
not trying to sell you anything, I'll send you some for free, just email
me your mailing address

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Thanks anything will help

Old April 13th, 2006, 05:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I know what you mean fishing those canyon lakes with no visable cover
and being 40-50 feet from the bank and being in 50-60 feet of water.
Those swimbaits in Rainbow Trout work well, a c-rig with big lizards,
worms and creature baits, big deep running plugs and jig 'n pig all the
basic stuff work. But to find the bass is the problem, get a good lake
map and the finer the detail the better, study it well, see where the
river/creeks run close to points and sharp bends, find underwater
islands, long points from shore going into deeper water and saddles. I
lived in 1000 Oaks just over the mountain range from that lake and
fished it often and its not an easy lake. Try the forebay its 180 acres
and got some quality bass in it. Also Lake Piru is another option, its
smaller, but still deep and clear. My favorite is Lake Casitas off
highway 101, north of Ventura at Oak View and highway 33. Got some nice
5 to 9 pounders from it years back, t-rigged worms in basic brown works
good. Lake record was 21# 3 oz don't know if its still standing. I'm
living in N CA now and the foothill lakes here are the same canyon lakes
as in S CA. You just got to fish them alot and get used to not seeing
visable cover/structure. Study a good map. use your electronics and
marker bouys to mark the spots while on the water. I live 5-6 miles from
the best bass water in the state now, the CA delta, 1000 square miles of
unlimited cover, and I mostly fish water 2-5 feet deep all year. Man
life is good.. Good luck to you and hang in there, keep at it and you
will get it in time..

sket