Help for fishing this pond

Old April 13th, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Help for fishing this pond

Central/Eastern North Carolina pond at a relative's house, I'm guessing
around 6 acres? (not a good judge of that) Originally created by
damning a small creek, so there is a creek bed in there somewhere.
Majority of the pond is relatively shallow (maybe 2-4 feet). I have a
depth finder but it never occurred to me to bring it for some reason
but maybe I will this time. Depth near the damn area is maybe 8 feet
or more?

There is a healthy supply of bass and bluegill. I have also caught 1
crappie, and supposedly there have been some carp added. The reason
for that might have been weed control, can't remember. I have caught
bass up to 4 pounds, but I'm told there are much larger ones in there
(exaggeration? I don't know). I have had success mainly with surface
lures on occasion, spinner baits on occasion, but usually I've been
fishing Slug-gos.

The main problem with the pond is the mucky weed bottom. I'm not sure
what the weed is called, but it's dark, mossy, very fine, smelly, and
completely fouls every bait that touches it. That's too bad because I
prefer to fish the bottom or bump bottom for bass. e.g. with plastic
worms. I have caught a couple on Texas rig plastic worms, but it's an
exercise in frustration on the bottom. Free swimming Slug-gos work
pretty good, but so far only working on smaller bass, 1-2 pounds.
Strategy and tactics appreciated. A row boat is available

Old April 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Have you tried drop shotting from the rowboat ... seems that would work for
getting you down to the weeds without the bait actually getting fouled in
the muck and possibly draw some laeger bass from hiding spots in the weeds .
if it's a family pond maybe you can find a way to get a tree stump to locate
somewhere and create some new cover to be worked later .

oups.com...

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Ed Hughes" wrote in message
Have you tried drop shotting from the rowboat ...

Dropshotting? What's that and with what bait? How to know you're near the
bottom without touching bottom? Update: pond is actually more like 12
acres, and 15-20 feet at the deepest spot.

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Ed Hughes" wrote in message
Have you tried drop shotting from the rowboat ...

Dropshotting? What's that and with what bait? How to know you're near
the bottom without touching bottom? Update: pond is actually more like 12
acres, and 15-20 feet at the deepest spot.

Jeff,

Here's a couple articles that might be able to help you out on dropshotting.

http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/modu... der=0&thold=0

http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com/modu... der=0&thold=0

It can be a deadly tactic when you're dealing with nasty bottoms. It sounds
like you have filamentous algae, that yes, that's some real garbage to fish
in.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

http://www.richz.com/fishing/articles/dropshot.html
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

How about a large heavy rake and make some channels through the moss to
fish.

--
Bob La Londe - Webmaster
www.YumaBassMan.com