Power Pro... are you sure it's for me?

Old January 19th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Charles B. Summers

Default Power Pro... are you sure it's for me?

Just ordered a 300yd spool of 50# Power Pro but still not convinced that
it's for me. However, I do feel that I may need it in Florida for the
Southern Classic, but for around here mono has fulfilled my needs.

Questions:

1. How different is this line going to be compared to Fireline?
2. Is it going to be noisy through the guides (like Fireline)?
3. Remind me of the black magic marker... I forgot why Rich says he uses it.
4. Do I need to modify my hookset? I've heard that some people have broken
rods with superlines.
5. Drag setting? Tighter, looser?
6. Not really a question, but a backing line is recommended, right?
7. Ok for fishing plastics?

Sorry about all the questions that I know's been answered here before, but I
tried to look back over the older posts but they've been deleted from my
server.

Thanks in advance.

--
Charles Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old January 19th, 2004, 06:01 AM
go-bassn

Just how big a bass you plannin on catch down there in FL Chaz?

Warren

--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Charles B. Summers

Really, really big ones...

But then again, who plans on catching little ones?

Old January 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles B. Summers" charles-summers@(comcast)(dot)(net) wrote in message
Just ordered a 300yd spool of 50# Power Pro but still not convinced that
it's for me. However, I do feel that I may need it in Florida for the
Southern Classic, but for around here mono has fulfilled my needs.

Questions:

1. How different is this line going to be compared to Fireline?

***It will go through the guides smoother and I think it has better abrasion
resistance. I think it becomes limper, faster as well.

2. Is it going to be noisy through the guides (like Fireline)?

***It is a braid, it is going to make noise going through the guides.

3. Remind me of the black magic marker... I forgot why Rich says he uses

it.

***Rich uses it to camoflague the line when it becomes gray and fuzzy. I'll
try that one of these years.

4. Do I need to modify my hookset? I've heard that some people have broken
rods with superlines.

***You won't have to do the MONSTER hookset thing. Usually just a quick
snap of the wrist is sufficient. If they've broken rods with superlines,
the rods probably would have broken with mono if they did the same, stupid
things. Most of the rods that I've heard of breaking have been when someone
is trying to tear a lure free from a snag.

5. Drag setting? Tighter, looser?

***I would recommend that you set the drag so that it slips just a tad on a
hookset. Personally, I keep the drag cranked down tight and then either
back the drag off during the fight or pop the reel in and out of gear and
thumb the fish.

6. Not really a question, but a backing line is recommended, right?

***I don't use any backing. I simply tie the line onto the spool and put a
small piece of tape over the line, adhering it to the spool. This line is
slippery and will spin on the spool unless you either tape it or use
backing. I don't like to use backing.

7. Ok for fishing plastics?

***Sure, why not? Worse case scenario if you think the line is visible is
to run a mono or florocarbon leader.

Sorry about all the questions that I know's been answered here before, but

tried to look back over the older posts but they've been deleted from my
server.

***Not a problem,
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 19th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Bob La Londe

"Charles B. Summers" charles-summers@(comcast)(dot)(net) wrote in message
Just ordered a 300yd spool of 50# Power Pro but still not convinced that
it's for me. However, I do feel that I may need it in Florida for the
Southern Classic, but for around here mono has fulfilled my needs.

First off I only use it for heavy-heavy cover. It works pretty good for
that. A couple guys I know use the 80# for pitching heavy cover. I have
found the 50# to be adequate for me.

Questions:

1. How different is this line going to be compared to Fireline?

Never used Fireline..

2. Is it going to be noisy through the guides (like Fireline)?

Never used Fireline, but in ceramic guide rods I really haven't noticed it
being noisy. I have one rod with metal eyes (supposedly made for super
braids) and it is a little noisy in that one.

3. Remind me of the black magic marker... I forgot why Rich says he uses

it.

The line tends to turn white over time. Supposedly if you use a permanent
marker on the first ten feet of line to make the line black it makes it less
visible in the water. I'm not sure about that since I mostly flip and pitch
in pretty shallow water. I would think the contrast of a black line would
stand out more, kinda like why blue and black jigs have such a good
reputation. They stand out, but Rich is a far more experienced fisherman
than me, so I defer to his opinion.

4. Do I need to modify my hookset? I've heard that some people have broken
rods with superlines.

Maybe. I have jerked two pound fish completely out of the water along with
small trees on a hookset with Power Pro. I have not broken any rods, but I
really only use it on heavy and medium heavy rods. In most cases a pretty
heavy hookset should be fine. All the guys here who pitch and flip a lot
use super braids or flourcarbons. Both have little or no stretch. I see
them all lay into fish like they are trying to tear down a wall.

5. Drag setting? Tighter, looser?

I'ld say that depends. You don't want a fish to be able to run in heavy
cover, but your weak point is going to be the quality of your hookset. I
tend to comprimise and set my drag about a little higher than when fishing
12lb mono. When I was a kid I used a fish scale to set my drag. I would
guess I am setting my drag between 6 and 8 pounds. (With 12 lb mono I would
set between 4 and 6 lbs.)

6. Not really a question, but a backing line is recommended, right?

Yes. For two reasons. The first is that a lot of guys think Power Pro is
expensive. How much line do you need when you are flipping? They figure
their longest pitching distance and double or triple the line. I doubt most
of them spool up more than 50 yards of PP at the most. My flipping sticks
are set up the same way.

The second is because the stuff will slip on the spool were mono will not.
You can also cure this I have heard by putting a couple tight wraps of duct
tape or friction tape on the spool before spooling up. Since I use backing
I can't answer to this first hand.

If using backing use a double uni knot. I have tried a blood knot and it
can slip out.

7. Ok for fishing plastics?

Great for them. I throw 7" u-tails on it all the time. Most guys prefer
heavier stuff like brush hogs, but it works fine for anything. I have even
used it on an 8' rod for throwing pretty light spinner baits, although I
much prefer mono with spinning tackle for that.

Sorry about all the questions that I know's been answered here before, but

tried to look back over the older posts but they've been deleted from my
server.

I strongly reccomend that you carry a chunk of dowel that is a little
heavier than a broom handle and about a foot long for breaking the stuff off
or pulling it out. If you try to break off by backing away against your
reel the line will imbed between the wraps badly. Make a couple wraps of
duct tape around the middle of the rod. Use it two handed to pull lose from
snags that you can't unhook. DO NOT wrap it around your hand or arm to
break loose or pull off a snag. You will cut your arm.

I would also reccomend a pair of pruning shears in your stuff. If it is
hung in a high branch just lop off the branch and untangle it at your level.

Ask, Joe about PP line. He threw a spinner bait on it all day when he has
out here. As a matter of fact he used the rod that I think is noisier.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old January 19th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Charles B. Summers

Maybe. I have jerked two pound fish completely out of the water along

with
small trees on a hookset with Power Pro. I have not broken any rods, but

really only use it on heavy and medium heavy rods. In most cases a pretty
heavy hookset should be fine. All the guys here who pitch and flip a lot
use super braids or flourcarbons. Both have little or no stretch. I see
them all lay into fish like they are trying to tear down a wall.

I've been accused of that myself! In Wisconsin (2002), I think I completely
nailed those smallies using Fireline. This is why I was asking about the
hookset.

Old January 19th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Charles B. Summers

***You won't have to do the MONSTER hookset thing. Usually just a quick
snap of the wrist is sufficient. If they've broken rods with superlines,
the rods probably would have broken with mono if they did the same, stupid
things. Most of the rods that I've heard of breaking have been when

someone
is trying to tear a lure free from a snag.

I know better than trying to free a snag with the rod... but wouldn't a good
hookset on a larger fish be about the same?

***Sure, why not? Worse case scenario if you think the line is visible is
to run a mono or florocarbon leader.

A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link, so why use a leader? What's
your opinion on Lake Okeechobee? Clear, stained, or would you worry about
clarity with PP?

I'm only going to spool up about three rods with this stuff, so I guess I
can fall back to mono if I loose confidence in this stuff. I've just heard
alot about PP, and never tried it. Live and learn they say!

Thanks for your responce!

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:46 PM
go-bassn

Charles - The Big O is tannic-stained like most FL fisheries. It is not a
reservoir (not river-run), but does have many tributaries. I don't think
you've been on a lake that even comes close to the size of BigO. I'd be
packing 25-30 pound Mono if you're planning on flippin some weeds...

Warren

Old January 19th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Charles B. Summers

I was planning on having a few reels spooled with mono, but was thinking of
about 15 - 20lb test. Really think I should go as high as 30? I know you've
been there before, so I'll take your word for it.

Old January 19th, 2004, 09:40 PM
go-bassn

A killer technique there is to fish mats of floating gunk, hyacinth, etc.,
especially if a front is coming through or if the sun is high. Basically
you take a heavy jig (1 ounce) or a heavily weighted plastic (creature baits
& craws are my favorites) & crash them right through the mess, let them hit
bottom, shake once & repeat. Needless to say you need beefy line to extract
even small bass from that mess. Generally the fish aren't line-shy at all.

Warren