Power Pro

Old April 5th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Power Pro

Ok, I do not get this. Sure Power Pro is better than many of hte older
braids, but I have issues with this fromt he Power Pro website.

"PowerPro lets me cast up to twice as far as with monofilament. I can always
cast to where the fish are with PowerPro."
- Sergio Escutia (36-lb. snook, 30-lb. PowerPro)

I have experimented with PP vs Flourocarbo for pitchign which is in my
opinion one of the applications most affected by anything that can be
affected by anything when it comes to distance.

20LB Seaguar easily pitches further than 50LB PP. Even a rooky like me can
see the difference on identical rods with the same weight weight and
plastic.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Nikolay

Bob,

That may be true if you use spinning reel - do they tell what setup was
this snook guy using?
Also, IMHO you shouldn't take the "testimonials" from ANY product website
100% seriously!

Nikolay

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Bob La Londe

I haven't tried PP on a spinning reel myself yet. I initially just got it
for flipping and pitching into heavy cover. I've been debating trying
hi-vis on a spinning reel for tossign Senkos. A couple torunaments ago I
broke off three times with the mono I was using.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
ss.edu...

Old April 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM
go-bassn

If you're gonna do a comparison Bob, why on earth would you compare 20 pound
line to 50 pound line??? Would you expect 50# mono to cast as far as 20#
mono?

And a cast is not a pitch.

C'mon now...

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com

Old April 5th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Bob La Londe

"go-bassn" wrote in message
If you're gonna do a comparison Bob, why on earth would you compare 20

pound
line to 50 pound line??? Would you expect 50# mono to cast as far as 20#
mono?

No I was comparing similar diameter lines, and wondering what the premise of
that anecdotal claim was. I was noticing that I was catching more fish the
other day when pitching using a friends tacke than I usually catch with my
own. I started comparing the differences, and the first thing I noticed is
that we were pitching from further out than I normally do. I tried pitching
from that distance next time I went out and noticed I really had to work to
reach the weedline, and I couldn't get back into the cover at all.

Of course I could switch to a heavier bait, but then the fall rate, splash
and all kinds of other things are affected as well. I hate to mess up
something that is working. Kinda like my search for the optimal stick worm
presentation.

And a cast is not a pitch.

Yup. Its not, but it is were I could easily compare differences since I had
both ready to try out. I haven't spooled up PP on any of my casting stuff,
and I cringe at the thought of running that rough line over the rollers on
my spinning reels. I know its smooth compared to older style braids and
some other super lines, but its still rough compared to mono or
flourocarbon.

C'mon now...

C'mon yourself. So when you gonna come to Yuma and show us bumpkins how to
catch some fish?

Warren

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Rich Pierro

Warren took the words out of my mouth. The point of the ad is to compare
50lb power pro to 50lb mono. The obvious advantage to Power Pro is the
smaller diameter with more strength. If you compare by strength the power
pro is better in pretty much every respect. Frankly, apart from light
tackle at or under 10lb test, I cant think of any reason to use mono for
anything.

Rich P

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Who Cares

I use 10/2 and have had no problems, and i don't use a leader either.
Go much over that then you migt have visibility problems. My two cents.

Old April 6th, 2004, 03:59 PM
AJH

For my fishing I can't see any reason to use a braided line..Mono works
just fine for me..

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:05 PM
alwayfishking

There are instances where you want to use mono over braid, at least for me.
I never tie topwater lures to braided line, I think it compromises the
action, also if I would have used the mono last year when that big bass
exploded on my lucky 13 he might not have gotten off if I had a little
stretch.. oh wait it was forgetting to set the drag, Dave V was nice enough
to point out that the rear treble had been bent horizontally by the fish,
but seriously, I only spool with two lines, 12lb yozuri and 30lb stren super
braid. If you have not tried the Stren you should, it is a lot better than
the power pro and other braids I have used. In my opinion.

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:36 PM
KurtB

I am almost exclusively using Power Pro now. There are a few small
lakes that I fish for Crappie that also have a lot of good sized carp
& cats, and the occasional "toothy critter". I spooled up my ultra
lite setup with 8/1 just for those ponds. Other than a visibility
issue that would cause me to use a fluorocarbon leader, I cannot think
of any reason to not use PP (at least for the fishing I do).

Kurt